PDA

View Full Version : Car not running, but parked on public street?

iblizzard
09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I live in a very small cul-de-sac and have a neighbour who has left his vehicle parked on the street in the cul-de-sac for almost a year now. The car doesn't run and has never been moved. He refuses to move it.

I thought there was a bylaw restricting how long a car can be parked on a public street. Is anyone able to give some further info into this?

Darkane
09-03-2006, 11:50 AM
As long as its properly registered you cant do much. Other than that.. I think if it isnt registered under his home address you can call bylaw for a 3day sticker. the sticker says he has 3 days to move it because its considered abandoned. All he has to do after that is drive it around the block and its ok again. Remember its a PUBLIC street. I had some neibour bitches who didnt like my brothers vehicles parked on my street for a while. They didn't win ha.

dj_rice
09-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, has to have a plate and be registered...

iblizzard
09-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
As long as its properly registered you cant do much. Other than that.. I think if it isnt registered under his home address you can call bylaw for a 3day sticker. the sticker says he has 3 days to move it because its considered abandoned. All he has to do after that is drive it around the block and its ok again. Remember its a PUBLIC street. I had some neibour bitches who didnt like my brothers vehicles parked on my street for a while. They didn't win ha.

I was worried that might be the case. It's just really frustrating because he's got a double garage which he doesn't park his cars in, and he parks 3 cars in the street... I don't have a garage and I'm not able to park anywhere BUT the street, along with many of my other neighbours too.

Dayclone
09-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Haha I saw one of these bylaw guys in action last night a big truck like a moving truck blocked the whole street so no traffic could flow... Ended up 3 cop cars and 1 bylaw vehicle came to give the guy a sticker and he was scared shitless... they just gave him a sticker apparently and had to move the vehicle.

Steve

GL with your problem.

billy36
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
1- I don't think he has this car insured, if ur car is not insured, u can't put in the street at all

2- I believe there is a bylaw against parking a car in the same place for more than 36 hours, but no one really cares about applying it

I guess u can use point 1 to get rid of this car !!!!!!!! This is to the best of my knowledge, but maybe u need to ask a bit more, I'm not a policeman

Ben
09-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Is it causing you grief? Does the sight of it make you feel angry inside? Is it parked on your lawn or anywhere other than the area infront of his house? Is it causing harm to the neighbourhood?

If it's not but you still dont like it parked in front of his own house, and you call and complain, you're just being an asshole neighbour.

Calling Bylaw services on something like that is something people do in the NE.

Dont be so petty. I couldn't imagine having a neighbour complaining about a vehicle parked infront of my own place.

If the car does not have valid registration on the other hand, or is in repair and is not able to be moved under it's own power, then of course it's not allowed to be on public streets. A year is a long time... so I'll give you that, I've heard of people that call and complain about anything over 2 days, fuck, thats sad, talk about nothing better to do. Glad I have good neighbours whom have jobs and better things to do.

iblizzard
09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Is it causing you grief? Does the sight of it make you feel angry inside? Is it parked on your lawn or anywhere other than the area infront of his house? Is it causing harm to the neighbourhood?

It's not causing me grief, but it makes it difficult for me and others to park in the cul-de-sac. We often have to park quite far away from our houses and walk. Yes, that's not a huge deal, but when he's not using his double garage, and there is very limited space in our cul-de-sac, and he has three vehicles parked in front of his house, I find it a little irritating.

Originally posted by Ben
If it's not but you still dont like it parked in front of his own house, and you call and complain, you're just being an asshole neighbour.

Calling Bylaw services on something like that is something people do in the NE.

Dont be so petty. I couldn't imagine having a neighbour complaining about a vehicle parked infront of my own place.

If the car does not have valid registration on the other hand, or is in repair and is not able to be moved under it's own power, then of course it's not allowed to be on public streets. A year is a long time... so I'll give you that, I've heard of people that call and complain about anything over 2 days, fuck, thats sad, talk about nothing better to do. Glad I have good neighbours whom have jobs and better things to do.

It probably does have valid registration, and probably even insurance, but it doesn't run (from what he's told me). I'm not trying to be an asshole over this, but I just want to be able to park in front of my house! Like I said, there is very limited parking space. He's taking up three spots with only two people who can drive in the house, and we take up 2 spots with 3 people who can drive in the house. On top of it all (and I know it's getting redundant now), he's not using his double garage! He's one of the only people in the cul-de-sac who has one, and it sits empty.

Crymson
09-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Why don't you get all your neighbours and just go let him know how you feel. I'm sure he's civil and probably wouldn't mind moving it, if he knows how much of a pain in the ass he's being to the rest of the neighbourhood.

Try working something out before becoming a bad neighbour. I can't imagine the vast number of issues that would have been resolved through honest converstion, but people would rather be non-confrontational, and end up calling the police or by-law officers over something that displeases them whereas the culprit had no idea it was an issue.

I'm sure you must have talked with him already, but make a point of getting some neighbours together and letting him know.