PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Agassi , and thanks ....

blueToy
09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
If you have ever picked up a racket to even just goof off , you probably quickly realized how incredibly challenging this sport can be , and today we say goodbye to one of the greatest not only players , but champions to have ever hit the yellow ball . Story here :

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story/?ID=176330&hubname=

As one who has followed tennis since the days of Bjorn , Conners or McEnroe ( yikes !! ) , Mr. Agassi may not have been the most winningest of players like , say Pete Sampras , but he played with such emotion and heart that we never became bored with watching him play . I'm sure in the days to follow more will be written about his career , his famous wins and loses . His days of being a rebel . His days of meltdowns and missed oppurtunities . But to me personally , he was always the most entertaining to watch .

Thanks Mr. Agassi . You'll be missed .

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
wow, he lost to some damn no name too. It was damn cool to see him win against Baghdatis in five sets, took over 4 hours!

dj_rice
09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
The Baghdatis match was wickedddd.....gotta give props to Baghdatis for playing pretty good with those leg cramps

Aleks
09-03-2006, 01:58 PM
One of the tennis greats! Amazing player and person. Good luck to him in the future...

blueToy
09-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Must of really been tough to lose out to Becker whose ranked what , 112 ? BUT , he is 36 years old with a bad back , and in the tennis world thats equivilant to being 90 and on your death bed . Even the great John McEnroe commented the other night that the five setter match against Marcos was some of the best tennis he's ever seen . Two gladiators just punishing each other till the last man is left standing ( albiet , very wobbly , lol ) . Amazing tennis to watch for sure .

max_boost
09-03-2006, 03:28 PM
His longevity is something to marvel at and to be talked about for a long time to come. 36 years old and still able to beat some of the best in the game. Good stuff Agassi. :thumbsup:

HyperZell
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
I wonder if Natrilova will get the hint now too?

xrayvsn
09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
What a great career. I still remember when he still had a mullet in the 80's. I also remember his comeback when he was on the verge of quitting tennis in the late 90's. Then he dumped Brooke Shields, hooked up with Steffi Graf and played on until this year.

stevieo
09-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
What a great career. I still remember when he still had a mullet in the 80's. I also remember his comeback when he was on the verge of quitting tennis in the late 90's. Then he dumped Brooke Shields, hooked up with Steffi Graf and played on until this year.

:werd:

I really wanted to see him win this year even though it was far fetched. His agravating back was also bad, glad to see him go out on top of 'the world' though.

Thank you ANDRE AGASSI!

habsfan
09-04-2006, 12:04 AM
goodbye to an icon in tennis, i'll never forget his mullet rock star style in his early years, that was the best tennis style ever! now we'll just have to wait until andre and steffi's son picks up a racket...that should be a talented tennis kid