PDA

View Full Version : Need help. Car got bumped.

el_fefes
09-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Hey, so my new E36 325i just got bumped by a blazer backing off. The dent isn't big but I don't know if can be fixed without replacing the whole (aftermarket) bumper. The guy wanted to give me $60 and take off but that's clearly not enough. The guy said that if he went through insurance I would have to pay a deductible. But this doesn't make sense to me because I was not at fault, my car was parked. This is the first time something like this has happened to me so I want to know if I need to pay a deductible or not.

The guy ended up calling his insurance and said that they're going to call me on tuesday. Thing is he took all my info BUT my phone number. Should I still expect a call from his insurance company? Do I need to contact my insurance?

Thanks for helping a n00b.

tentacles
09-03-2006, 04:05 PM
He said YOU would have to pay the deductable?!

The guy was trying to screw you, good thing you didn't believe him.

There should be no need for you to call your insurance. You should be calling his insurance because you are making a claim against them. Hopefully you got his insurance info.

shakalaka
09-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Yea dude, he was just trying to play you around. The thing to be done was that you should have taken all his insurance info and not the other way around.

You get in a accident ALWAYS call the police man. Some people will try to fuck you over after the incident, and if you had called the police at the time, that kinda shit doesn't fly.

nusneak
09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
He said YOU would have to pay the deductable?!

The guy was trying to screw you, good thing you didn't believe him.

There should be no need for you to call your insurance. You should be calling his insurance because you are making a claim against them. Hopefully you got his insurance info.
Actually if he has full coverage (which I am assuming he does with a nice car) he makes the claim with his insurance company and they get his car fixed then they go after the insurance company of the guy that hit him.

stevieo
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Yea dude, he was just trying to play you around. The thing to be done was that you should have taken all his insurance info and not the other way around.

You get in a accident ALWAYS call the police man. Some people will try to fuck you over after the incident, and if you had called the police at the time, that kinda shit doesn't fly.

problem though police won't usually come out unless it is clearly 1000 dollars + in damage.

5hift
09-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by el_fefes
Hey, so my new E36 325i just got bumped by a blazer backing off. The dent isn't big but I don't know if can be fixed without replacing the whole (aftermarket) bumper. The guy wanted to give me $60 and take off but that's clearly not enough. The guy said that if he went through insurance I would have to pay a deductible. But this doesn't make sense to me because I was not at fault, my car was parked. This is the first time something like this has happened to me so I want to know if I need to pay a deductible or not.

The guy ended up calling his insurance and said that they're going to call me on tuesday. Thing is he took all my info BUT my phone number. Should I still expect a call from his insurance company? Do I need to contact my insurance?

Thanks for helping a n00b.

He hit you, yet he took your info and your waiting on his call? It should be the other way around, hopefully you got his info.

IhateDomestic
09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
LOL

nusneak
09-03-2006, 05:21 PM
lol... that sounds very sketchy... how long have you been driving man?
he phones his insurance company?
you dont have none of his info?
you dont have none of his info he didnt hit you!

your eating this one I'm calling it right now, dont bother calling your insurance either, nothing good can come from it.
you WILL be paying the deductable, and then make a claim on your own insurance. bad all around.

tentacles
09-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Actually if he has full coverage (which I am assuming he does with a nice car) he makes the claim with his insurance company and they get his car fixed then they go after the insurance company of the guy that hit him.

I'm sure he COULD do that, but I don't see why he should if he wasn't at fault. Some insurance companies give discounts if you make no reports at all (regardless of fault) for a number of years, so if he reported this to his insurance he might have fucked himself.

When my parked car got hit, I didn't call anyone (the other guy's insurance did call me in this case). Other guy's insurance sent a guy out to look at my car, asked me if I was happy with $1,400, and then just gave me a cheque when I said I was. No questions no problems.

el_fefes
09-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I do have his info. I'm not that stupid :) I thought that was obvious so I didn't include it in the first post. And right now I can't afford comprehensive insurance so I wouldn't be able to claim this to my insurance. If his insurance doesn't call tomorrow I will talk to my insurance and from what I've heard they should be able to help me out.

nusneak
09-04-2006, 01:34 PM
if you go through your insurance your making a claim against yourself which is a bad idea, espically if you dont have comp... Which I dont really understand with a car like that unless I'm confused and its worth less then 12k.

Dave

frostyda9
09-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by el_fefes
The guy said that if he went through insurance I would have to pay a deductible.

He's full of shit. He can either pay you cash in an amount that's satisfactory to you, and the whole thing is dropped, or if you don't hear back from him, file a police report and call your insurance company and let them deal with it (they will call HIS insurance company, and they will negotiate) Talking to your insurance company about a claim that will be paid by the other drivers insurance should have no effect on your insurance at all. As long as you have his info, you're good to go. AFAIK it's possible to file a police report and *not* go through insurance as well.
When I had an accident with some spaced out bitch, the cop asked me if we were dealing with it privately or through insurance.

PS - get some decent insurance! If you can afford a BMW I am sure you can swing some half decent coverage.

el_fefes
09-04-2006, 06:13 PM
^Thx man.

Yeah I'll get comprehensive as soon as I can. The thing is I just came back from a 2 month trip to Europe and I'm kinda strapped for cash. :(

Zero102
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
This has nothing to do with comprehensive.
This falls under collision coverage. This is usually MUCH more expensive than comprehensive, and for many cars isn't worth paying for. Your insurance company should be pretty helpful here. They should be willing to draw up a letter of demand, which is essentially asking the other insurance company to open up a file, and pay for your damages. Quite often if you call his insurance company directly they will play you worse than he did.
Since you do not have collision or comprehensive coverage, this cannot possibly affect your rates (besides, not-at-fault's should do nothing anyways).