PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile Hunter (Steve Irwin) Dead **MERGED**

Ripper
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Received this today...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20349560-661,00.html

dino_martini
09-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh Snap..why am I always 1 minute late on these things.

CasperWho
09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
:eek:

i was JUST gonna post that link!
crazy, if it's real? :eek:

if true - rip croc hunter!

accordboi_02
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
RIP Steve Irwin

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

Aleks
09-03-2006, 11:25 PM
That sucks! The guy was so pationate about what he did.

RIP croc hunter.

IntegraG2
09-03-2006, 11:25 PM
harsh...RIP Steve Irwin

jdm_jspec
09-03-2006, 11:26 PM
i just read it,
:( RIP
i guess thats the risk you take when you do what he does.

Ekliptix
09-03-2006, 11:34 PM
RIP. He seemed like a good guy.

snowboard
wow thats fucked.
you never think a guy like him will go down

RIP :(

BerserkerCatSplat
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-09-04T045035Z_01_SP34161_RTRUKOC_0_UK-AUSTRALIA-IRWIN.xml

RIP Croc hunter, that's a real shame. At least he died while doing what he loved.

EK 2.0
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Crikey!!...

Rest In Peace Sir...

GQBalla
RIP

that was a good show

D'z Nutz
Oh shat, that sucks :( I was snorkling at Port Douglas just three weeks ago too. While I was in Australia, they were always showing commercials with him about wildlife conservation, like running through burning forests to save koalas and stuff.

RIP

Cruz
09-03-2006, 11:43 PM
He has found eternal life in the comedy of Dane Cook.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_8z7DmGug8&mode=related&search=

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2006, 11:52 PM
holy shit, wow.
RIP

DepTrotter
09-03-2006, 11:54 PM
holy crikey

i guess it was bound to happen but you hate to see it..

hopefully he doesnt have too many youngsters :(

A2VR6
09-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow... who woulda thought this would happen? Thats crazy...RIP.

habsfan
09-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by DepTrotter
hopefully he doesnt have too many youngsters :(

father of two...

thats nuts, i loved that guy....RIP for sure:(

Dayclone
09-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Shit man that's not cool.... 2 kids and died so young :(

Spatz
09-04-2006, 02:08 AM
thats nuts:eek:
R.I.P

djayz
09-04-2006, 02:25 AM
im shocked...atleast he didnt die from a crocodile.

RIP

Dren
09-04-2006, 02:50 AM
im sooo shocked !! never would think that

RIP

Lexxan
09-04-2006, 03:44 AM
shocked? He has lived on the edge with the most poisonous creatures our world has to offer but yea really shocking LOL

KuruptEX
09-04-2006, 03:57 AM
R.I.P
The crocs will miss u the most man...

ga16i
09-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Not cool!.... most kick ass wild life dude ever.
Never knew sting rays had such crazy mofo stinger powers :confused:

Kritafo
09-04-2006, 07:14 AM
that is really sad. Steve had 2 children, for those of you who remember he fed a croc while holding his son and it caused the government there to change croc handling laws.

It's too bad my children loved to watch him.

Kritafo

Sk8erlude
09-04-2006, 08:01 AM
RIP Steve Irwin.
You were a good man to all the animals.
He died doing what he loved to do in the outdoors.
His shows rocked!!!

treg50
09-04-2006, 08:39 AM
DAMN IT!!! DAMN IT!!! DAMN IT!!! :(

He was a true hero --- despite if people thought he was crazy or sensational, they can not argue he was doing something altruistic and beneficial for the planet. Though he became media icon he followed a passion that probably didn't pay all that well for many years in the beginning of his career, and that says a lot. He lived and breathed the natural world. Promoting the conservation of animals and the environment. "He mixed damn good science with show business" all in the effort to better educate people about other living creatures in the world around them, and the need to protect and respect them.

We've lost a great protector, defender and educator. He was a Superman for animals and the environment. When the world loses such a good and influential person whose life was centred around protecting creatures who ultimately can not protect themselves you can't help but feel a loss of good in the world.

I have no doubt that you've inspired at least a few people to care like you did. Good job, mate.

Thanks for everything you've done.

pinoyhero
09-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Some pople out there will say he deserved the death since he took so many risks but I think we could all learn from a guy who took risks everyday to live life to the fullest.

RIP Steve Irwin

Mar
09-04-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm shocked.
That's awful.
Rest in peace, dude.

I've been searching videos all day to see some actual news commentary and found this. It's a slideshow tribute. Not great, but kind of cool.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7534543947104800888&q=steve+irwin

Originally posted on another site previous to his death
He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape.

Originally posted on another site
Major Australian web sites reporting the death of Crocodile man Steve Irwin came to a standstill earlier today with many people unable to access www.news.com.au or www.smh.com.au or NineMSN. According to News Ltd who were the first to report the story it was presumed that the reported death of Irwin was the cause.

According to News Ltd and wire services Irwin was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

"A lot of the sites seem to be going up and down," according to News.com.au producer Mark Higginson. "We lost NineMSN entirely. Although we don't know for sure at this stage, I presume that the Steve Irwin story is to blame. We don't know yet whether it's local or international traffic that is responsible for this."

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5235179,00.jpg

l8braker
09-04-2006, 09:04 AM
RIP

Condolences to his family, wife, and kids.

Mikey_008
09-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Damn.....he had alot of courage for doing what he does! Sad to hear!

AcuraTl
09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
i shed a tear for this nigga :cry:

Deetz
09-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Very sorry to hear. He was a nice guy, i met him in Vegas a couple years back.

DJ Lazy
09-04-2006, 10:24 AM
RIP Steve!!

KGB
09-04-2006, 11:10 AM

/////AMG
09-04-2006, 11:46 AM
:( First thing I heard when I went to wrok. Poor guy, and his family too.
His shows were the best.

I really want to see this footage of him and the sting ray though (as bad as it might seem).

CasperWho
09-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG

I really want to see this footage of him and the sting ray though (as bad as it might seem).

:werd:

DJ Lazy
09-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG

I don't think you are the only one... I'm interested to see it as well...

/////AMG
09-04-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm sure it will be "leaked" on to the internet in about a year.

carter_prelude
09-04-2006, 02:52 PM
damn :( i loved his show...

RIP!

asp integra
09-04-2006, 02:55 PM
crikey i cant believe it, i loved that guy, rip

EK 2.0
09-04-2006, 02:55 PM
In the last 24 hours this has to be the most reposted topic here on beyond.

euro_racer
09-04-2006, 02:57 PM

Xtrema
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
RIP.

Importz
09-04-2006, 03:30 PM
FUCK!! I love this guy...he is so funny.... RIP:cry:

civic_stylez
09-04-2006, 04:16 PM
i used to watch that guy in amazement..gutsiest guy ive ever seen...:cry:

01RedDX
09-04-2006, 04:20 PM

finboy
09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
rip, big loss for the environmental and entertainment world :(

DJ Lazy
09-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Not much chance when this goes thru your heart... :(

Stingray Barb
http://files.tellmewhereonearth.com/Photos%20Fossils/stingray%20barb-australia.JPG

GQBalla
09-04-2006, 09:22 PM
holy fuck that looks deadly! ^^^ is that yours?

Kobe
09-04-2006, 09:25 PM
R.I.P buddy
Sad day for entertainment :(

turbo'dGSR
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
RIP Irwin. I was at his croc zoo a few years back...sad.

GC84ever
09-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I still can't believe it!
Steve Irwin was the man!
He was the animals and environments best embassador. I really loved it when filming capturing crocs or anything he put the safety of the animal before his own, compared to other tv Croc-hunter-types who would use duct tape to secure animals; which I this sucks :thumbsdow:
Even the movie Steve made (not a blockbuster by hollywood standards) was helping the animals he loved by donating all profits to some animal conservation fund.
The world has definitely lost one of it best positive influences for rest of us in the world.

RIP Steve Irwin
and thanks for helping to make this world better for all creatures on this planet.

$lick_rYz
09-04-2006, 11:44 PM
RIP homeboy stevie

Zephyr
09-04-2006, 11:52 PM
sad thing to hear.. shows were awesome! RIP

plus he was suppose to come to LA again to capture a loose crocodile problem we had for almost a year now

Redlyne_jr
09-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Ha Ha

at least he died like a man

Gondi Stylez
09-05-2006, 01:34 AM
I was shocked this morning when I heard the news. I was a HUGE fan of Steve Irwin and loved his work with the worlds animals and his emmense passion for what he did.

String rays usally release there spine when they are stepped on and since Steve was on top of it he must have pushed too hard on top which would have scared the ray and therefore released its stinger:(

The world has lost one of the best (if not the best) wildlife conservationalists. Its a shame I won't be able to see him when I vist Austriallia in two years.

Condolences to his wife Terry and their two children.

RIP Steve! CROCS ROCK!

On my birthday I'll send a prayer out to you (go Feb. 22nd ers)!

tapout
09-05-2006, 02:58 AM
rip :(

fast95pony
09-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Very sad news! :( Steve-o was always entertaining to watch.

R.I.P. Croc Hunter.

/////AMG
09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
More info

"Croc Hunter" pulled barb out of chest before death

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible."

Irwin, 44, the quirky naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter", was filming a new documentary off Australia's northeastern coast when he was attacked.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonising injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

"It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," Fry said.

News of Irwin's death shocked Australians and Irwin's millions of fans around the world. Prime Minister John Howard interrupted parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute.

"He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual and I am distressed at his death," Howard told parliament.

"We mourn his loss, we're devastated by the tragic circumstances in which he has been taken from us and we send our love and prayers to his grieving family," he said.

"CRIKEY"

Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said video of the attack showed Irwin swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb). His cameraman was filming in front of the ray, which became frightened and lashed out.

Stingrays are usually placid and only attack in self-defence.

Stainton said the cameraman only became aware of the attack when he noticed Irwin bleeding.

Millions had seen Irwin flirt with death many times as he stalked and played with crocodiles, sharks, snakes and spiders. Stainton said he was struggling to come to terms with the fact that a stingray had killed his friend.

"There's been a million occasions where both of us held our breath and thought we were lucky to get out of that one," Stainton said. "But he just seemed to have a charmed life."

Police said they had examined the footage and would prepare a report for the coroner appointed to determine the cause of death.

Film star Russell Crowe called Irwin the "ultimate wildlife warrior", adding: "He was the Australian we all aspire to be. He touched my heart. I believed in him. I'll miss him".

Known for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet.

U.S.-based television company Discovery Communications, which produces Animal Planet, said it would set up a conservation fund in honour of Irwin, dubbed in one tribute a "modern-day Noah", and planned a marathon showing of his programmes.

Discovery said the footage of Irwin's fatal dive might never be broadcast.

Australian newspapers paid tribute to Irwin on Tuesday, while fans including American tourists laid wreaths outside his Australia Zoo in tropical Queensland state.

"We thought he was Superman, that he was indestructible," said an editorial in Sydney's The Daily Telegraph.

"We were wrong"

MudCrawler
09-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Steve Irwin was a man who could handle being a celebrity, environmentalist, and a loving father and husband all at once. He truly made a difference in this world, and im sad that he had to go out this way. :(

black_radiation
09-05-2006, 07:45 AM
There will be no other like him. i used to watch his shows religiously. its sad because terry, his wife of 16 years, and his children will be without such an amazing man in their lives. all of us will unanimously miss him and feel for his family.

to add, his death was thought to be fairly quick and not incredibly painful due to the shock the body went through and the quick demise of this poor fellow.

we all tip our hats to you steve. may you wrestle many croc's in the afterlife.

slickk
09-05-2006, 09:00 AM
How ironic that while he risks his life with crocodiles and other dangerous animals routinely, he succombs to an attack that happens so rarely.

2000_SI
09-05-2006, 10:17 AM
RIP
:(

treg50
09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Jesus, I had to post again after stumbling across some Entertainment Tonight footage of Irwin, and seeing him talk to his daughter and his out and out passion and love for nature. The dude was pure energy and exuberance about everything in his life: his family and his passion for educating people about nature.

He was like no other public figure or celebrity. He was a public figure, loud, proud, and extreme, but he wasn't crazy, he wasn't screwed up, he wasn't rude or obnoxious, he wasn't hostile, he wasn't some toughguy jackass, the list goes on. He was a family man that loved animals and teaching people about animals!! How awesome is THAT??!!

Whether the creature was big or small, predator or prey, tough or meek, cute or 'ugly' he respected them all and always tried to educate people to respect and understand them as he did.

God, this is one situation where I wish there was a Undo key or a take-back. So much positive energy gone. It just doesn't seem real.

When you look at the guy in video or stills I see an endless fireball of enthusiasm and joy. The world seems noticeably less alive without him. A good family man. A warrior, champion and friend to all life.

http://www.awpc.org.au/endorsements/Steve_Irwin_small.jpghttp://images.scotsman.com/2002/07/23/2307saltb.jpg

http://www.exclaim.ca/images/up-crocodile_hunter.jpghttp://www.citypaper.com/sb/50527/61.jpg

http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/irwin_steve.jpghttp://www.scpromotions.com.au/mogozoo/images/image002001.jpg

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/184989-1_m.jpg

You are missed brother. Wish you were still here.

D'z Nutz
09-05-2006, 07:08 PM
http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/crikey_2.jpg

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/images/crikey_1.jpg

RIP Steve :cry:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/goodbye_steve_1.jpg

heavyD
09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
What a crummy way to go. I wasn't at all surprised when I heard he passed away but I initially thought it would have been from snakebite or crocodile attack. He seemed like a nice enough guy and all but I saw that video of him feeding a crocodile with his infant son in hand which was one of the most selfish & ridiculous acts I have ever seen. If I was there I would have slapped him in the head. Just because you are fearless, you don't put infants in harm's way.

finboy
09-05-2006, 07:18 PM
apperantly there is going to be a show about him on discovery tonight

civicrider
09-05-2006, 07:46 PM
do you know what time its one at?

PraviYugosloven
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
So sad he left a wife and two kids behind.

R.I.P Steve Irwin

EK 2.0
09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
do you know what time its one at?

It's on right now...Discovery Channel

mekeni
09-06-2006, 09:16 AM
hats off to a great guy ..

JspecB16
09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
It still hasn't sunk in.... RIP

furious
09-06-2006, 09:48 AM
He was a nice guy, I watched his programs sometimes here in Ukraine too. :(

DoubleLP
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM
He was truly the most passionate person about the environment and all animals. And he was also stand up husband and father. His family always came first.

The world has lost a huge influence on conservation of the environment, and I sure hope that his work is not lost forever. He worked so hard for all of us to become more educated about animals, and it is quite obvious that he has influenced a lot of people with all the responses that are on here already.

RIP Steve......you will truly be missed.

fast3ddy
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM
NOooooooooooooo!

Lexxan
09-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Does anyone have the video of him takin the barb out

gonefishing
09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Of all of the dangerous things he's around how unusual he died from a stingray. My co-worker told me he found out the last reported death by a stingray was in 1945.

RIP

Xtrema
09-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Lexxan
Does anyone have the video of him takin the barb out

Apparently, it's Steve's wish to show his death to the world. But the network choose not to do this.... yet.

Weapon_R
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I bet it'll be out on ogrish very soon. RIP for a good guy though

heavyD
09-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Apparently, it's Steve's wish to show his death to the world. But the network choose not to do this.... yet.

Discovery owns the video and apparently they have chosen to keep it locked up but I'm sure it will leak it out eventually somehow.

Xtrema
09-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Discovery owns the video and apparently they have chosen to keep it locked up but I'm sure it will leak it out eventually somehow.

Here's the leak.........

spoiler alert

http://home.woh.rr.com/mountainman/steve.gif

Yes, I'm going to hell. (But for the record, I didn't make it)

scat19
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Its out floating around I think.

rony_espana
09-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I bet it'll be out on ogrish very soon. RIP for a good guy though

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

RIP!

01RedDX
09-08-2006, 12:20 AM