PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 mods?

Gripenfelter
09-04-2006, 08:43 AM
What mods can you do to a 1996-1998 Audi A4 with the 1.8L turbo 4?

pinoyhero
09-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Quickest easiest bang for the buck mod as I understand it is a chip upgrade, check with Bobby (or any of the other fellas) at Tunerworks.

Gripenfelter
09-04-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm in Winnipeg.

What are their nicks on here?

Jerms
09-04-2006, 12:34 PM
go to a4mods.com

hopefully you'll find things on the website

asp integra
09-04-2006, 02:35 PM
check out apr's web site they have alot of differnt chips and they make good power !

nismodrifter
09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
1. drop it like its hot...slam it.

2. classy 18" wheels

those would be the first 2 things on my list if I had one.

bituerbo
09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

2. classy 18" wheels

I'd sell it and buy a 240sx DHOOORIFTOO!!! machine.

Siriusly post up some expectations... handling... power?
If you want 'decent' power gain with zero effort get a chip. Looking at around $700 for this. Another cheap power mod is to get rid of your downpipe with integrated catalytic converter. Modded A4's can gain up to 40hp and cooler running turbo's from that HIGHLY restrictive downpipe. maybe 20hp for stock turbo cars. Another fault in the 1.8T's design is the exhaust manifold. Big Turbo and Header and you're getting closer to 250+ hp ($3000).

If you want the car to handle better but want to keep most stock components (springs/struts/all eleventy billion control arms) then do a rear sway bar. Stiffening up the rear will take care of some of that understeer you're most likely experiencing. You can get a rear bar for around $300. (these are lower SWAY bars, not the useless strut tower bars).

ICEBERG
09-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

2. classy 18" wheels

I second that. Also a chip is a must like pinoyhero said.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Gripenfelter
09-04-2006, 08:43 PM
250hp is decent.

How is the reliability of these cars?

ICEBERG
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
98 - 99 Audi A4's are pretty reliable. 250 hp should be no problem for that engine. I heard 97's had lot of problems though. maybe someone can verify this.

bituerbo
09-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
98 - 99 Audi A4's are pretty reliable. 250 hp should be no problem for that engine. I heard 97's had lot of problems though. maybe someone can verify this.

I wouldn't say a LOT of problems, but they are more problematic than the late-model B5's

Si_FlyGuy
09-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

I'd sell it and buy a 240sx DHOOORIFTOO!!! machine.

Siriusly post up some expectations... handling... power?
If you want 'decent' power gain with zero effort get a chip. Looking at around $700 for this. Another cheap power mod is to get rid of your downpipe with integrated catalytic converter. Modded A4's can gain up to 40hp and cooler running turbo's from that HIGHLY restrictive downpipe. maybe 20hp for stock turbo cars. Another fault in the 1.8T's design is the exhaust manifold. Big Turbo and Header and you're getting closer to 250+ hp ($3000).

If you want the car to handle better but want to keep most stock components (springs/struts/all eleventy billion control arms) then do a rear sway bar. Stiffening up the rear will take care of some of that understeer you're most likely experiencing. You can get a rear bar for around $300. (these are lower SWAY bars, not the useless strut tower bars).

Or they could just buy your car.:rofl: I would, but my gf can't drive standard.:whipped:

bituerbo
09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Haha yeah, I'm expecting a boatload of calls once the bargainfinder gets published, it's priced 6k under any other 2000 s4 on there.

:burnout:

Mitsu3000gt
09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Haha yeah, I'm expecting a boatload of calls once the bargainfinder gets published, it's priced 6k under any other 2000 s4 on there.

:burnout:

Why would you willingly post it for $6000 below everyone else? Is there something wrong? Or is everyone else outrageously priced? Just curious is all.

Si_FlyGuy
09-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I've seen 2000 S4 go for around $24,000 a few months ago, but not sure about mileage.

One of the Glenmore Audi mechanics did tell me to stay away from chipped S4s though. He said that most of the blown turbos they get are due to chips.

Mitsu3000gt
09-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I've seen 2000 S4 go for around $24,000 a few months ago, but not sure about mileage.

One of the Glenmore Audi mechanics did tell me to stay away from chipped S4s though. He said that most of the blown turbos they get are due to chips.

There are people with 160,000 MILES on chipped K03 turbos. You just need to take care of them, especially if their chipped. Using synthetic oil, not boosting until you have oil temp., and letting your turbos cool after every drive should keep them around for a very long time even if chipped. If you drive the car hard right after your start it up and don't let it cool before you shut it off and don't use synthetic oil, yeah you will probably lose your K03's eventually.

There are just as many K03 turbos dieing unchipped as there are chipped ones, as people who chip them will likely take better care of them.

Additionally, I know of people who are still under warranty and are TRYING to kill their K03's and cannot. They wan't new turbos before their warranty runs out, which is soon. They are running chips, high boost, and abusing the sh*t out of them with low oil temp boosting, hard driving and no cooldown and they absolutely cannot kill them.

According to everything I've read on the audi forums, it's more luck than anything else, as some people's stock unchipped turbos die at 20,000 miles and other people's chipped turbos are running strong at 160,000 original miles. It's more the people who don't understand how to care for turbos that are likely in the shop getting them replaced.