PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Problems...

Davetronz
04-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Ok guys, here is the issue that I am having.
I am running a Linksys 802.11b Wireless Router with 4 port wired switch.
I am running 2-4 laptops on wireless (altho only ever 2 at once maximum) and wired connections, the laptops are not used at the same time as the wired connections.

When I first got the whole thing set up a few months ago (around 3) the whole system was lightning fast.

Now I am getting REALLY slow response times on the wireless laptops. The computers themselves are fine, and are either new or freshly formatted. All the machines have their temporary internet files cleared as well as history.

Like my laptop connections are like just above the speed of DIALUP! Now my wireless base is located RIGHT in the center of my house and my laptops were RIGHT next to the base when I was doing the tests. Each laptop got the same results.

here are the results I got tonight.
DESKTOP WIRED CONNECTIONS
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/welichka/desktop.jpg

LAPTOP WIRELESS CONNECTIONS
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/welichka/laptop.jpg

What the hell is going on, this has me STUMPED.
Should I reset the router or try something else???

Dave

speedyalero
04-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Perhaps Telus is having issues? If you are running Linsys cards there is a utility that get installed and it will tell you signal strength and all that stuff.

Try relocating your access point as well. My 2.4GHz cordless phones interfere with my wireless as the 2.4G band is very crowded to say the least.

Davetronz
04-22-2003, 09:24 PM
I seem to have fixed it a little bit... I am atleast getting 900 kbps now.

I reset the DHCP and then changed the wireless protocols a bit....

I will keep tinkering though.

Killumanti
04-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Telus was having issues:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14457

If its slow tom, maybe it isn't bout Telus :dunno:

EvilNeon
04-22-2003, 09:26 PM
The 2.4 band is getting REALLY crowded with phones, wi-fi, and other crap. I have no doubt you are seeing a slowdown.

Do you see improvment if you move a station close to the WAP?

Davetronz
04-22-2003, 09:27 PM
No improvement if I move closer to the WAP.
I have PERFECT signal strength right throughout the house. And the wireless phones dont seem to be interfering.
Hmmmmm.

DSM Power
04-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Hmm is right. I'd usually suspect interference first, but if you're sitting right next to the base station and seeing this then... :confused: I don't think it's the ISP, but throughput. Perhaps your wireless security settings on the laptops are too 'strict'. :dunno:

Ashkente
04-22-2003, 11:15 PM
There's a known (well..I dunno how known to Linksys, but it seems common enough for me..) problem with Linksys wireless routers, that if they're left running for some long amount of time (like, a few months) they suddenly perform VERY poorly (like ~100k/s max) Two of my friends have this exact same problem, and it just takes a power cycle to fix it. Mebbe this is the problem? :dunno:

On the other hand..if it is your ISP...bitchin' time ;)

GTS Jeff
04-22-2003, 11:35 PM
wireless can be finicky with cordless phones....so try messing with channels etc

Davetronz
04-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Jeff: I have ruled out that, I have everything opperating on different channels, although the microwave interferes with the 900 MHz cordless phone..... FAWK... Although no problems with wireless...
Ashkente: Yea after changing the settings I also turned off the unit, let it sit for about 5 mins and then cold booted it back up.
Everything seems to be working just dandy now!
Thanks everyone that responded.
Ps. Tom, I hope you get your Telus problems sorted out! If not, PM Ben and bitch to him ;)

thorin33
04-24-2003, 12:03 PM
I know that you have your problems fixed but I just wanted to add my input. I work with wireless products at works and have found that the Linksys AP products are crap. They need to be reset at least once a week here with the tests that I run. I forgot who said that already but just want to put my 2 bits in.

TurboDSM, what test tool are you using in your screenshots to measure throughput?

Davetronz
04-24-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by thorin33
I know that you have your problems fixed but I just wanted to add my input. I work with wireless products at works and have found that the Linksys AP products are crap. They need to be reset at least once a week here with the tests that I run. I forgot who said that already but just want to put my 2 bits in.

TurboDSM, what test tool are you using in your screenshots to measure throughput?
www.bandwidthplace.com

caran
06-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

freshprince1
06-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Wow, bumping a thread 7 years old.

Good job on the search, at least someone's using that function.

My wireless was crapping out on me last night too...but only on my XBOX. I switched to an ethernet connection and it was fine. Good luck figuring things out.

jwslam
06-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Wow, bumping a thread 7 years old.

Good job on the search, at least someone's using that function.

LOL i didn't even read the date... i started reading the thread and first i was wondering why it was in general and not comps, and then I read why the fuck is the guy using a B router lol.

benyl
06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
It's called spamming.

thetransporter
06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
wow 2003, he must had a lot of money to a router back them.

i got my first router in 1999 (wireless) it was a engineering model from 3 com, it would loose connection too many times (not enough power)

but IMHO the 2wire hg routers are VERY POWERFUL and reliable, theres

they usually just have a DSL port, disable it with dhcp as use it as a repeater, or wireless switch. (connected to another router)

it has features I perfer over ddwrt.

http://www.homeserverland.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Wikis-Components-Files/whs/5102.uverse_2D00_2wire.jpg

jwslam
06-02-2010, 04:29 PM
My first wired HUB in like 2002 cost $299