PDA

View Full Version : Taj Mahal?

Lilac Wine
09-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Me and my sister live in Lethbridge but went to Calgary to go to the zoo for the day. Went to the Chinook mall after and decided to eat at a place near by. (We wanted differen't nationality food.)
We found the Taj Mahal Restaurant in the phone book and decided to try it.
The place was okay on the inside, and was crowded full of people. I think they were short staffed and not expecting it to be that busy.
We were in the restuarant for almost 2 hours from order-paying our bill. It took us 1 hour and 20 min to get our food. The waitress was rather rude and unhelpful and didn't seem to help out at all. The one waiter in a turban was the only one who seemed to be trying and assured us our food would be coming.
When the food did come, I got a bowl full of chicken stewed in this spicy tomato sauce for $13.95. No rice or anything!
So I had to order a side of rice, which was only $2.50 and it was real neat rice and made my meal complete. So it cost about $16 for a average size plate of rice and meat.
But my main rant is about the service and the time it took!
Anyone else eat here?

EK 2.0
09-04-2006, 02:48 PM
sheeeit you should have told me you were coming up...I would have showed you a great time and taken you to some nice ethnic restaraunts...

Lilac Wine
09-04-2006, 02:50 PM
haha :P
Well what do you recommend in the future?

EK 2.0
09-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Lilac Wine
haha :P
Well what do you recommend in the future?

Letting me cook an East Indian dinner for you...;)

Lilac Wine
09-04-2006, 02:52 PM
you know how to cook good east indian food?

EK 2.0
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM
you know how to cook good east indian food?

well kinda...I just watch my mom cook it haha...

But there are some GREAT East Indian places here in Calgary...in fact I think there is even a thread somewhere listing a few of them...

Moti Mahal, Tiffin, Namaskar are a few of my fave aside form Mommy's stuff...I mean she gets soooo mad when I pay for the stuff...haha...

Lilac Wine
09-04-2006, 02:56 PM
ever eat at taj mahal?

EK 2.0
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
ever eat at taj mahal?

yes ma'am...and it wasnt as bad as the time you had service was a lil slow for me...but it was tolerable...

Lilac Wine
09-04-2006, 03:02 PM
even if the waitress would have been more informative and didn't ignore us it would have made it a bit bettr

EK 2.0
09-04-2006, 03:05 PM
even if the waitress would have been more informative and didn't ignore us it would have made it a bit bettr

agreed and that goes for any place...

hash
09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Maurya in Kensington is pretty good too :thumbsup: Although their buffets aren't the greatest.

snade831
09-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Moti Mahal has excellent food. It's fairly pricey but all the rice you want is included. The service was a little slow (30-40 min or so), but it was good service. :thumbsup:

R!zz0
09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
We went to taj mahal for my mom's birthday and lemme tell you...I would not go back there again. Very bad service and the food was really awful. I have gone to alot of indian rest and by far the best indian food that i ever had was in Tandoori hut.
Their butter chicken is unreal :drool:

spyce
09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
We went to taj mahal for my mom's birthday and lemme tell you...I would not go back there again. Very bad service and the food was really awful. I have gone to alot of indian rest and by far the best indian food that i ever had was in Tandoori hut.
Their butter chicken is unreal :drool:

Defnitely. Went there once for the lunch buffet...had so much of that butter chicken :drool:

urbancrescent
09-09-2006, 01:32 AM
From a CBP (Canadian Born Paki), Taj Mahal is not authentic. I have to agree there are definately some realyl good places here. I'll give you my take on things here... The two best places I enjoy are:

1. Mango Shiva - The butter chicken here is to die for. I been to Maurya and Tandoori Hut, and let me tell you -- this is the best I my taste buds ever had. Not for the beginner dieter... I couldn't stop eating!!!

2. The Village Restaurant - If an indian restaurant can cut it in Falconridge, it can do ti anywhere. The food is pretty good and the prices are fantastic. The owner makes a killer PISTACIO KULFI (basically pistacio ice cream desert). I am a big fan of UK East Indian, BUT i never EVEN had Kulfi this good in my entire life. Nestle, look out!

No longer on my list: Taj Mahal, Raj Doo (used to be wicked with the old owners)t, Bombay House (yuk!).

I have heard Glory of India is good but I haven't made it there yet.

Cheers.

nismodrifter
09-09-2006, 08:42 PM
hahah...dood..never go to Taj Mahal. I'm Punjabi...have lived in Calgary all my life...and have only been there once...and that was because it was for some function...never ever gone back.

I personally go to Kohinoor Sweet House+Restaurant in NE whenever I'm in that area (I live in SW so whenever I do make a trip to the NE I always make sure to eat some good food.), very nice and quiet, clean restaurant with quick service. Great value IMO.

Moti Mahal is also good, ate at their downtown location on 14th and was impressed. They also opened a location in Midnapore now which is pretty busy at lunch time, haven't checked that one out yet but its the same owner so its going to be the same service/food.

Bombay is good for samosas and thats about it. I never go there because well...the place is too desi hahah. Service for eat-in is quick..food is spicy...but damn I just can't stand the place. Too many fobs, kitchen staff is yelling at each other to hurry up. Whenever you are there take a look at the front staff haha...they are BURNED OUT. Work like 25 hours a day (yes...25 ahha)..they look like zombies.

I really haven't checked out any of the other "famous" Indian restaurants yet...really need to do that when I'm back in town.

JordanEG6
09-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Try Mysore Palace on 6th and 7th downtown. My boss took me there once 'cause it's across the street from my work. It's pretty good, but mind you this is the only E.I. restaurant I've eaten at. It's a buffet at lunch and for a pretty good price.

Spicy Indian food doesn't sit well with me though, after that I called it 'Mysore Ass' 'cause that's what I felt (LOL), but none-the-less it's really good and it's something different. The butter chicken is awesome.

B20EF
09-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by urbancrescent
No longer on my list: Taj Mahal, Raj Doo (used to be wicked with the old owners)t, Bombay House (yuk!).

I was going to say Raj Doot on 4th as well, but didn't know they changed owners, last time I went was 6 months ago and it was great

googe
09-10-2006, 11:48 AM
What do you Indian guys think of Chutney on 4th ave?

EK 2.0
09-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I personally go to Kohinoor Sweet House+Restaurant in NE whenever I'm in that area (I live in SW so whenever I do make a trip to the NE I always make sure to eat some good food.), very nice and quiet, clean restaurant with quick service. Great value IMO.

dhost...your mom lets you PAY for Indian food??...sheeeit son...I get a beating like it was being administered from Amitabh himself when my mom finds out haha...

carzcraz
09-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Tell me about it...try going there for a small company gathering!!

My bf had decided to treat his staff to a dinner at the Taj Mahal approx. 2 weeks ago. The food was supposedly "pre-ordered", but we ended up being stuck there waiting for the food for over four hours. The drinks itself (for 8 people, half of them just beers) took well over 1.5 hours to be made.

To top it off, they automatically added a 15% tip (which is typically done for small gatherings), but tried to get away with not letting us know. When my bf asked them about it, the guy tried to deny it and almost got away with a 30+% tip for AWFUL service.

:thumbsdow

googe
09-10-2006, 12:25 PM
lame, they are probably used to getting no tips for being assholes, so they just keep being assholes and just automatically bill a tip :)

carzcraz
09-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Haha the funny part is, there was an employee who stopped by for 15 minutes and was given a $10 tab when she left. When questioned why, the guy at the bar (who wasn't even our waiter) said that he saw the lady eating ONE samosa.

:guns: