PDA

View Full Version : Average rent for Van?

wagovan
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey all,
I will be moving to Van with in the next 8-10 months and would appreciate some help on finding place to rent.
How much am I looking at monthly for a place downtown?
reccomendations for places close to UBC campus?

thanks in advance :)

whodiman
09-05-2006, 07:52 AM
try this site

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/

TimG
09-05-2006, 09:21 AM
If you're going to UBC, DO NOT GET A PLACE DOWNTOWN.

One of hte most convenient places to live in is Kits. ~20 minute bus ride on the 99 express. there are some apartments near the village just off of campus on the edge of Pacific Spirit park. no idea on the rent there or the quality of the apartments.

When i was there the average rent for a 6-700 sq ft apartment was in the neighbourhood of $1000-1200/month and parking usually wasn't included. Unless you were renting in an apartment building, you wouldn't have access to secure parking and have to get a street parking permit.

PM me if you want more info on the different areas around there. I used to live in Kits and took the 99 to UBC every day.

How long of a commute are you willing to put up with?

whodiman
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
You can live further away like away commerical/broadway and it will cost you much less and only be about 35min bus ride. You are a walk from the skytrain too. They are also extending the skytrain out to UBC (might take a few more years though). Once they finish that extension it doesn't really matter where you live as the skytrain is really fast and frequent...not like in Calgary.

TimG
09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
extending the skytrain to UBC? Not bloody likely. especially not thru posh neighbourhoods like Shaughnessy, Kits, or Point Grey.

If you live near a 99 stop you'll be fine.

googe
09-05-2006, 03:16 PM
the skytrain extension to UBC got axed in favor of 2 other routes for the olympics I believe. It wont be until at least 2010, if at all.

whodiman
09-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by googe
the skytrain extension to UBC got axed in favor of 2 other routes for the olympics I believe. It wont be until at least 2010, if at all.

Doh!!. What about the one to the airport? Did that one get axed too or are they going to finish that one? I know they have already completed the rail for at least one station west of commericial.

TimG
09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I think that one is still a go. They ripped up Cambie St last year when they started it and I think Granville st is ripped up downtown.

samo147
09-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by whodiman
You can live further away like away commerical/broadway and it will cost you much less and only be about 35min bus ride. You are a walk from the skytrain too. They are also extending the skytrain out to UBC (might take a few more years though). Once they finish that extension it doesn't really matter where you live as the skytrain is really fast and frequent...not like in Calgary.

my uncle lives in an apartment on commercial and broadway and well it seems pretty ghetto at night..
lots of bums around that skytrain station
but during the day it seems normal.
i think his rent is around 600 a month
and the apartment is only 3-4 years old i think

googe
09-06-2006, 03:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)#Expansion_lines

Looks like airport is planned.

HRD2PLZ
09-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by samo147

my uncle lives in an apartment on commercial and broadway and well it seems pretty ghetto at night..

Commercial is in East Van. Although, they are trying to clean it up and make it a little trendier now. A colleague in Vancouver says its one of their up and coming area's. I was just out there, and I can't believe how much nicer East End Downtown looks... I mean, its still ghetto... but since last year it looks like its come along way :thumbsup:

For UBC, I would look somewhere around Fairview, Kerrisdale, Kits, etc. Although, Point Grey and Kits are going to be a little more expensive.

HRD2PLZ
09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TimG
I think that one is still a go. They ripped up Cambie St last year when they started it and I think Granville st is ripped up downtown.

Yup, the RAV line is still a go... Cambie is a mess... :nut:

whodiman
09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by samo147

I never said it was a good area. actually if you are a guy it's fine. i might not recommend that area if you are woman or if you have a nice car. I wouldn't park my car there overnight. But it is definitely a really cool area with lots of stuff to do and million cappucino shops.

Point grey and Kits will probably be about double the rent of commercial and broadway.

TimG
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't leave my car parked outside ANYWHERE in that city, espectially downtown or on the eastern side of the city. junkies will smash your window and take your pop can.

You have to figure how much rent you want to pay vs. how long of a commute you want to deal with.

Kits to UBC is about 20-30 minutes in rush hour.

From Commercial and Broadway you can easily double that time.