PDA

View Full Version : How to seriously kick start my day w/o coffee

b_t
09-05-2006, 05:12 PM
alright story is I work 8-4:30 every, go from work to home to eat then go to school from 6-9. Then I get up at about 6:00 AM and work out from 6:45-7:30. The problem is I am dragging my ass for most of that time and wake right up after, so it feels like I am cheating myself out of results

My workout usually goes legs-chest-back to get the big three muscle groups and I rotate through smaller ones, 3 sets of 10

Aside from coffee, is there any other way to really get started in time to have a good workout and not waste all my effort doing legs and chest when I am all tired?

asuth077
09-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Your schedule is not very accomdating, but maybe split your rotation up and do some cardio before weights to wake your body up.

kaput
09-05-2006, 05:33 PM

snade831
09-05-2006, 06:01 PM
What if you workout after school? Do you have school every week day?

b_t
09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
School every weekday, I live in cochrane so I don't get home until 9:30-45ish and the gym closes at 10

Not enough time to work out between work and school.. because I live in cochrane and it takes 45 minutes to drive in during rush hour :(

tictactoe2004
09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Aside from coffee, is there any other way to really get started in time to have a good workout and not waste all my effort doing legs and chest when I am all tired?

morning blowjob should get your heart rate up a bit and have you awake :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

B20EF
09-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I have heard and tried drinking a fruit juice in the morning. According to naturalists it's better than coffee. I don't like juice in the morning so I make a fruit smoothie. It also doesn't have the burnout of coffee, which I get pretty bad.

kaput
09-05-2006, 07:25 PM

Darkane
09-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Try a Hardgainer low frequency/low volume routine. Make Sunday a priority workout day. Then try to fit in a day during the week. Try this routine taken from Ironaddicts.com:

Day1: Chest, Tri's, shoulders, abs

1) Flat Bench 2x6-8
2) Incline dumbell fly, or press 2x10-12
3) Tricep pushdown or Skullcrushers 2x10
4) 3 x10 HEAVY abs
5) Military Press standing/sitting 2x6-8

Day 2: (Save this for sunday MUCH harder day)Back, Legs, Bi's.

1) 3sets of pullups to failure
2) Barbell rows 2x6-8
3) Biceps 1x10 E-Zbar or dumbells
4) Squats 2x10
5) Deadlift stiff legged or bent leg 1x10

Try that with 1.5G of protein per lb of body weight and you'll do ok. Usually a Sunday Thursday rotation with the flexibility of doing on of the days late/early. Nice routine for busy people. Me included :)

EDIT: warmups are a HUGE part of this routine. Make sure to do tons of Warmupsets ie:

Bench lets say your working weight is 135(1 plate pr side) do this for warmup:

2x10 Bar only - 45lbs
1x7 bar +10 on each side - 65lbs
1x5 bar +20 on each side - 85lbs
1x5 bar +25 on each side - 95lbs
1x3 bar +35 on each side - 115lbs
1x1 bar +40 on each side - 125lbs
2x6-8 bar + 45 on each side - 135(work sets)

Try this. Remeber do it for legs, chest and back. On a consecutive exercise ie incline flys after bench just do the work sets no more warmup. Enjoy.

pinoyhero
09-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Try some sort of energy focus supplement, I work from 7 til about 5 and then workout at about 6 once I get home, changed etc I take noxplode and I find I have way more enegy and a far easier time focusing.

msommers
09-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by kaput
^Actually that reminds me, I've heard that an apple is more effective than coffee in the mornings.

I've also heard this well. If anything, the energy drink 'LOST' always works for me

badseed
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
A hearty breakfast 30-60 minutes before your workout will do the trick. Studies to show an apple is actually a more effective then coffee to wake you up. Kickstart your metablolism early and it shouldn't be as big of problem waking up. :thumbsup:

jay42w8
09-06-2006, 12:59 AM
try doing some QUICK sprints on the treadmill

seer_claw
09-06-2006, 05:52 AM
I used to like swimming in the morning. It always woke me up even if it was only for 30min. Plus if you hit the gym after its even harder to lift weights and you'll see gains when you don't go to the pool first.

kenny
09-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Drink a large glass of apple juice right in the morning :)

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-06-2006, 10:24 AM
vitamins made a big difference for me

teggypimp95
09-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Jump in the shower just for a couple minits. they wakes me up good. Then i run on the tredmill for 5 minits to wake myself up and get the blood flowing to all my muscels. you will notice a big differnce if you try this. going from bed to weights is not good or healthy for your body. Need to run or bike first to get everything streached out and full of blood and oxigen.

bulaian
09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
is it just the coffee you don't want? or caffeine altogether?

b_t
09-06-2006, 09:43 PM
I've got no problem with a red bull or something but I hate coffee a lot

I just tried this whole work out - work - school thing though and it is probably too much to pull off for more then a week a time, its only wednesday and I am already burnt out

I'm going to try what Darkane said I think

whats the "Hardgainer" mean? Is that for people who have a hard time gaining mass... like me? :D

Vagabond142
09-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't drink coffee at all and what I use to get me up is a couple spoonfuls of yogurt with 2 glasses of cold water. Wakes you the fuck up, right quick, and because yogurt is good for ya, it packs a lot of energy in to survive till lunch :D I would say that of a 1 kg tub of yogurt, I have maybe 1/8th each morning for breakfast. Basically a tub a week. Also, as I have the low fat fruity ones, you might want to sprinkle some additional fruits into the bowl with the yogurt, like sliced orange, raspberries, blueberries, etc. Makes a great breakfast, fills you up nicely, gets your body hydrated (somewhat, keep drinking water all through the day) after sleep and gets you going :)

At least that's what works for me, and I've been doing heavy labor jobs for the past 2 years with that routine, and it works every day :D

Darkane
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I've got no problem with a red bull or something but I hate coffee a lot

I just tried this whole work out - work - school thing though and it is probably too much to pull off for more then a week a time, its only wednesday and I am already burnt out

I'm going to try what Darkane said I think

whats the "Hardgainer" mean? Is that for people who have a hard time gaining mass... like me? :D

Bingo. Check this forum out. Ironaddicts.com - Lots of good info there..Including hardgainers :)

jdm_eg6
09-07-2006, 09:27 PM
workout at school?

b_t
09-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Bingo. Check this forum out. Ironaddicts.com - Lots of good info there..Including hardgainers :)

wooow good link
I'm going to try that extreme hardgainer thing since that describes me pretty well. Thanks man!!!

Darkane
09-07-2006, 10:23 PM
np dude

Watcher
09-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Are you sleeping enough? You might want to try going to to bed early every few days.

b_t
09-08-2006, 07:41 AM
I go bed every day at like 10 and get a good round eight hours of sleep

Watcher
09-08-2006, 10:53 PM
8 hours sounds pretty respectable.

What happens if you maintain your sleeping habits and skip a day or 2 of exercise, do you feel well rested in the morning? Could you be overtraining?

Or What happensif you were able to shift your daily routine so that you are waking up later( I understand that might not be possible). If it was possible, would you be more alert? I'm wonder if your body just doesn't like 6 am in the morning.

jumperman8
09-08-2006, 10:55 PM
yo buy no explode from BSN, take it 20 minutes before you wake up, it will give you a full crazy pump, and you will not feel like your cheating yourself

googe
09-09-2006, 12:31 AM
basically nothing is going to wake you up like coffee. caffeine is a stimulant drug, people are gonna come up with lots of BS about a proper diet and good habits, but the fact is no food is going to have the same effect as a stimulant. major :bullshit: on the apple being stronger than coffee :)

00CivicSi
09-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by kaput
^Actually that reminds me, I've heard that an apple is more effective than coffee in the mornings.

Word! Best thing you can do. Wake up, before you brush your teeth eat an apple ( eating an apple before you brush yer teeth helps you cleans your teeth and stops you from rushing out without eating the apple) Brush your teeth and your set to go. Try it before you bash it. Or just Google it.

bulaian
09-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by jumperman8
yo buy no explode from BSN, take it 20 minutes before you wake up , it will give you a full crazy pump, and you will not feel like your cheating yourself

how can you take a supplement 20 minutes before you wake up?

b_t
09-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Watcher
8 hours sounds pretty respectable.

What happens if you maintain your sleeping habits and skip a day or 2 of exercise, do you feel well rested in the morning? Could you be overtraining?

Or What happensif you were able to shift your daily routine so that you are waking up later( I understand that might not be possible). If it was possible, would you be more alert? I'm wonder if your body just doesn't like 6 am in the morning.

I am definitely not a morning person, but I've got no choice.

jumperman8
09-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by bulaian

how can you take a supplement 20 minutes before you wake up?

LOL i meant WORK OUT , my bad, but still highly recommend it
:thumbsup:

pinoyhero
09-10-2006, 07:50 AM
^ I concur, I find the most beneficila part of the product is not the pump or the enrgy rush but the focus aspect, its great!

Watcher
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by b_t

I am definitely not a morning person, but I've got no choice.

You know how people on nightshift can train themselves to a nightshift schedule?

I wonder if there is similar information on how to become a better morning person?

just my 2cents

b_t
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
well I worked nightshifts a lot in the summer too and that is also something I could not get used to. my body clock seems to be entrenched very solidly in a wake up at 7 go to bed at 11 type deal, although for awhile I was waking up at 1pm and going to bed at about 4am because of nightshifts.

Watcher
09-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I tried an apple today, and it didn't fucken work