PDA

View Full Version : Any New GTI owners?

projekz
09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Thinking about getting the new GTI. Anybody has some serious review on it? I've seen the new APR chip which gives it like 250 hp or so...

The Cosworth
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
I drove one and they are amazing... I am looking at it, but the new civic SI (r???) looks just as nice and is 6 k cheaper

Never drove the civic though but the gti is amazing until you drive it, then its a wet dream

bigbadboss101
09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Are the GTI's low 30s vs the Civic SI's high 20's? I haven't checked those. The MS3 are supposed to be 30g.

adidas
09-05-2006, 09:33 PM
go to www.eurodrivers.ca

its a local vw/audi/bmw site and a few guys have the mk5 gti's they could possibly give u the best feedback on em!

good luck and i hope you settle for one!

The Cosworth
09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah the gti i was gonna order would be $31,9XX or something like that complete with all

and the civic i priced out on the internet (top of the line, not sure if its SI or SIR) is $25,XXX so they are a bit cheaper

but the quality and feel of the new gti is sweet

I would look at the rabbit and put some money into it but it has a shitty 2.5L 5-Cyl engine, so im not to impressed with that

projekz
09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Are they such a bitch to get? Northland doesn't have any 2 doors available. Also the ABT lip looks dope.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/projkez/1k0800111gti.jpg

The Cosworth
09-05-2006, 09:39 PM
damn thats hot

do you mean the rabbits??? the GTI's are only 2 door

they are almost half the price of the GTI but it has the base jetta engine.

When I went in they would take $500 for a hold on it for 6 weeks, this was in june though so it could be shortened by now, and that was a GTI Im sure the rabbits are out of demand too, but I just dont know about that engine

carzcraz
09-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Just stumbled upon this site for the MKV. Seems pretty informative.

http://www.golfmkv.com/

projekz
09-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Northland had a black on black 4door GTI with leather in stock.
I would like a red one with cloth. They wouldn't even give me a quote on a lease. Plus I don't know why I would go from a 2001 530i to a New GTI. I just thinks it looks awesome-plus with a few bolt ons 300hp isn't far away.

The Cosworth
09-05-2006, 09:53 PM
really... I had no idea they had 4-door GTI's

crazy

The Cosworth
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
just checked the VW page, and it doesnt know it has 4-door GTI's either

Think they were screwing u

http://www.vw.ca/vwca/models/build/0,2264,44,00.html

It would either be a golf or a rabbit now a days I think

My cousin is the Lease manager at South Center Fine Cars, Northland is a bunch of BS

another good VW page is

www.newveedub.com

and they all bash Northland too so beware

lint
09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I test drove one a few months back, the GTi was coming in a 4 door in mid summer. I had the spec sheet that had pricing for both. It is available in 2 and 4 door.

Mr. Burns
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
If you factory order you are looking at 4 months wait. :(

Its gonna be a long 4 months till my 4 door arrives... and it will be the middle of winter when it gets here :(

edit: It DOES come in 4-door, I test drove one last week. 4-door is approx. $650 more than the 2 door.

Mitsu3000gt
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
If your getting the new golf, make sure you get the DSG!

danno
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
my gti arrives nov. 6, they do come in 4 door. i got the 6spd i really don't want to have to repair a automatic 2 clutch system. it's a great car, way more than a civic plus there's maybe 20 in the city. it's about a 3 month wait to get one.

4doorj
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
the new gti's are sweet!!!!!:thumbsup:

James
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
New GTI's are nice, but should NOT come in a four door.....thats what jettas are for

heavyD
09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
They are very nice, I just wish they weren't so expensive.

Mr. Burns
09-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by James
New GTI's are nice, but should NOT come in a four door.....thats what jettas are for

This is nothing new, 4-door gti's have been around in europe since the beginning, they've only just decided to bring them here now.

Im thrilled that they decided to do this, becasue now I can get the convenience of a 4 door, with top level sport seats, smoked HID's and all of those goodies..... and I dont have to buy an ugly ass MKV Jetta
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/dkkong/3small1up.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/dkkong/1small1is.jpg

bigboom
09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
They are very nice, I just wish they weren't so expensive.

i agree...a lot of neat little features in it but there is no way i could pony up $30k for one. and the fact that everyone seems to want one right now makes all the dealerships not negotiate so if you wait a bit you could probably save some money.

teggypimp95
09-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I have a mk4 GTI and i love it. The feeling of the turbo engine is just awesome. The german build quality feels great too. If i had the money i would buy one in a heart beat. They are loads of fun to drive. 2 door pocket rocket!

plus they are nice to tune if your into modding. chip etc and you can easly gain alot of power.

spyce
09-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I was looking at one of these a while ago. They didnt have one at the dealership when I was looking to test drive one :(
They look like an awesome car though. I would definitely pick it up over the Civic Si. You get a 2.0l turbo engine plus extra things I dont think you can get on the civic (hids, leather) :thumbsup:

Aleks
09-06-2006, 09:22 AM
In all the tests I have seen it's not any faster than the civic :dunno:

projekz
09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
It's probably heavier than the Civic Si. The potential for cheap power is much better than the Civic tho. Plus I like hatchbacks much better than coupes.

bigboom
09-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by spyce
I was looking at one of these a while ago. They didnt have one at the dealership when I was looking to test drive one :(
They look like an awesome car though. I would definitely pick it up over the Civic Si. You get a 2.0l turbo engine plus extra things I dont think you can get on the civic (hids, leather) :thumbsup:

i as well woudl take it over the si...even for the simple little computer they have that allows you to configure everything from interior lighting to colour of display :)

teggypimp95
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM
You would have to rev the shit out of an si to use its full power band and all its hp. in a 2.0T in any gear you put ur foot down slightly and the turbo is quick to spool and your off. you never need to gear down to pass or anything. always power when you need it. Also means you get crazy gas milage on the high way

bspot
09-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Evowannabe has a black one with 19" wheels, coilovers and APR. Its pretty sweet!

A2VR6
09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Driven this car a few times already (never driven the DSG) and it is pretty damn fun to drive! Very little turbo lag and good power throughout the powerband. Plus the interior is ALOT better IMHO than the civic's. However, it's a shame that the GTI doesnt have a LSD with it :( (unlike the civic).

heavyD
09-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
In all the tests I have seen it's not any faster than the civic :dunno:

I have. Car & Driver tested a dsg equipped Gti and it was slighly faster than the Si but we are talking about 0.1 seconds. Gti has won every comparison I've seen overall with the exception of one in SCC which took them on a course with slicks.

James
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns

This is nothing new, 4-door gti's have been around in europe since the beginning, they've only just decided to bring them here now.

Im thrilled that they decided to do this, becasue now I can get the convenience of a 4 door, with top level sport seats, smoked HID's and all of those goodies..... and I dont have to buy an ugly ass MKV Jetta
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/dkkong/3small1up.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/dkkong/1small1is.jpg

True, I havnt seen a 4dr GTI in person, maybe I'd like em, too each his own i guess.

JRSC00LUDE
09-06-2006, 02:28 PM
A guy I know in town here picked one up this summer. Got it chipped and did all the exhaust. Looks great, sounds great and goes real decent. He ran a 14.5 with it but it's likely got more in it with some more practise as he admitted that he's as shitty a driver as me and I'm fucking terrible! Not sure of actual power numbers as I don't believe he's had a dyno run yet but there is a mustang dyno in town here so I should get him to hurry up and go.

In any case, he's more than happy with his purchase - absolutely loves it! :thumbsup:

evowannabe
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Here's a quick pick of my car. I love it. The chip was easily the best money I've spent on a car.

http://www.evolved-racing.net/posted_pictures/GTI_06_18_06/GTI%5F10%2EJPG

projekz
09-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Evowannabe...where did you buy your car? I'm probably gonna look at getting one in the next month or so.

danno
09-06-2006, 06:31 PM
odds are you won't get it in a month. the list is too long at most dealers. you may get lucky and get one someone backed out on. 3 months is the estimated wait time

Aleks
09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by evowannabe
Here's a quick pick of my car. I love it. The chip was easily the best money I've spent on a car.

is this the car that runs at Race city once in a while? If so what is your best time I am curious?

evowannabe
09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I got my car from 5th ave in March. I think I got the first one in the city.

Yeah, I've been to race city twice with it. I'm having huge trouble getting my launches down. My best run is 15.5 @ 94, but that's with a 2.6 60' I'm going to try to run once more this year, and I'm going to switch to my stock wheels and run less air up front. See if that helps...

The Cosworth
09-06-2006, 08:10 PM

I've seen u around before, live across from SAIT. Is the chip as powerful as they say???

I am still probably gonna get a GTI next year, but for now its the old walk to school routine... I hear industry is dying for electrical engineering tech's so I should have a lot of money in 7 months!

I stand corrected on the 4-door GTI, I know that they are in europe but not all euro cars come here right!

I love em... congrats to all who have em/are getting them... cant wait to be part of ur team.

evowannabe
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

I've seen u around before, live across from SAIT. Is the chip as powerful as they say???

I am still probably gonna get a GTI next year, but for now its the old walk to school routine... I hear industry is dying for electrical engineering tech's so I should have a lot of money in 7 months!

I stand corrected on the 4-door GTI, I know that they are in europe but not all euro cars come here right!

I love em... congrats to all who have em/are getting them... cant wait to be part of ur team.

Yeah man, the chip is awesome. I absolutly love the car. I had a 2002 Jetta 1.8T that I had to sell a few years back when I bought my first condo. I'm glad to be back behind the wheel of a dub. :)

I live just down 16th ave from SAIT, near Peters. If you ever see me stopped some where, come say hi.

danno
09-06-2006, 09:42 PM
hey evo, there a grey gti as well at race city sometimes too right??

i bought mine from fifth ave as well. candy white, leather. oh yeah

chip voided the warrenty?? who did it??? also do you have vag com??

evowannabe
09-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by danno
hey evo, there a grey gti as well at race city sometimes too right??

i bought mine from fifth ave as well. candy white, leather. oh yeah

chip voided the warrenty?? who did it??? also do you have vag com??

Chip was done at C1. It will only void the waranty if they prove it caused a problem. So far, no problems with the car. I haven't seen another GTI at the track, so I'm not sure who the UG one is...

bart
09-08-2006, 09:35 AM
mmmmmmmm

http://www.pbase.com/euel/image/64671754.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/o4/13/294513/1/63085641.2G8LFBrS.IMG_7877.jpg

honda??? ya right lol!

teggypimp95
09-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Chip was done at C1. It will only void the waranty if they prove it caused a problem. So far, no problems with the car. I haven't seen another GTI at the track, so I'm not sure who the UG one is...

You will notice a huge differnce with stock wheels. those wheels are way to big to be doin ght 1/4 mile with. They would slow your launches big time.

danno
09-09-2006, 04:05 PM
was your experience with c1 good??? i've heard mixed reviews. how much was the chip?? also how did you break the car in??

The Cosworth
09-09-2006, 11:16 PM
i heard about 1200 for the chip and the performance increase is amazing. Thing i would like to know is how does the car respond to the chip, had a chip in my old car but it was a piggy back unit and sometimes it wasnt as flawless as I had hoped

Also to all of u who have GTI's, where did you get them from, I am a little sketchy about northland, but last time i went in there a younger guy helped me out and he seemed pretty good.

Aleks
09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris
i heard about 1200 for the chip and the performance increase is amazing.

as far as I remember I saw 2 chipped ones run this summer and both ran 15s?

:dunno:

bart
09-10-2006, 05:43 AM
eheh thats what i got :)

get an upsolute chip, its ~$500 for same power...

danno
09-10-2006, 10:23 AM
for the chips in the states it's $600. just wondering what c1 would charge?? i've heard they respond very well to the chip, but that's from the owner's who may be one sided. i only know of a few chip companies (revo,apr,.......can't remember).

i bought mine off a guy on eurodrivers he works at 5th ave auto house ( actually it's on barlow and 16th ave), he was great to deal with but the high demand you aren't going to get a deal.

anyone have vag com??

Klobi-1-Kinobi
09-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

as far as I remember I saw 2 chipped ones run this summer and both ran 15s?

:dunno:

15's isnt all that quick. What kind of trap speeds, though? I have similar times with my b18c ek hatch, but got worked over pretty bad on deerfoot by a new mk5 gti.

Aleks
09-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Klobi-1-Kinobi

15's isnt all that quick. What kind of trap speeds, though? I have similar times with my b18c ek hatch, but got worked over pretty bad on deerfoot by a new mk5 gti.

low to mid 90s.

bigboom
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Klobi-1-Kinobi

probably cuz the VW has quite a bit more torque than the b18...

Klobi-1-Kinobi
09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

probably cuz the VW has quite a bit more torque than the b18...

yep, chipped mk5 gti should have more than twice the trq at half of the rpm than a b18c. You would think they would be a little quicker at the track though, despite their hefty weight.

That being said, I really like the new gti's. Would make a great daily driver. Prolly the nicest interior in that price range, imo.

VWhooligan
09-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by James

I disagree.. I'm lovin my 4 door.

http://defaced.net/simon/scn12.jpg