PDA

View Full Version : whats a good non chain restaurant?

BigWill
09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
im just wondering what restaurants (fancy or not) that people go to,that they like, that not many other people know about, places that havent been commercialized too much like mcdonalds, keg, moxies, etc.

i'll start, i really like "la casa latina" on 17th ave s.e.
great service there and very traditional spanish food

403Gemini
09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Pheonix grill down in the SW aint half bad (neither are the servers.... :drool: )

bulaian
09-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Korean Village on 10th ave downtown

t-im
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
La Chaumiere

Centini

Importz
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

THIS PLACE HAS THE WORSE SERVICE EVER!! DONT BOTHER!!

szw
09-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Importz

I agree, this place blows. Its too bad because I like their food.

SikAssR1
09-06-2006, 08:03 PM
^^^ haha tell me one asian restaurant that has decent service.;)

EK 2.0
09-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SikAssR1

peking peking...:drool:

bulaian
09-07-2006, 09:57 AM

but the food is so damn good haha

ummmm you could also try Smuggler's Inn on Mcleod Trail if you're down for some prime rib

Sprinter
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Bow Bulgogi @ 17th ave S.W.

clem24
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
ummmm you could also try Smuggler's Inn on Mcleod Trail if you're down for some prime rib

What?? they've got the sh!ttiest prime rib I've ever had... :dunno:

h0tm1x
09-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Julio's Barrio on the corner of Memorial and 10th is awesome!!!

Supa Dexta
09-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Petes peanut pub wasnt bad the other night I went..

89coupe
09-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Santorini Greek Taverna:thumbsup:

pinoyhero
09-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Dope place in Kensington that used to be an italian joint not called pucilleni or something, intersing concept its like a swanky traditional style pizza place, good food, good value and great ambiance.

szw
09-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Dope place in Kensington that used to be an italian joint not called pucilleni or something, intersing concept its like a swanky traditional style pizza place, good food, good value and great ambiance.

Is this next to Molly Malones? If it is, it had an impressive menu and I really liked the choice of traditional ingredients available on the pizza. The two I ordered, however, were really soggy with oil. They were pretty gross and I wouldn't go back unless someone told me that was probably just a fluke.

Hollywood
09-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SikAssR1

Silver Dragon, chinatown.

CarbonCopy
09-16-2006, 03:41 AM
Maraju sushi, if thats your thing. Great food, great service, freindly staff and one of the girls who works there is really cute :thumbsup:

clem24
09-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Maraju? Where the heck is that? Never heard of it.

clem24
11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Bumping an old thread... Tried out La Casa Latina. Definitely *the* best Mexican to be had in Calgary. Still a far cry from what can be had in the States, but it's a step in the right direction!

5hift
11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
^^

where is it

clem24
11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
17th Ave and about 35th St SE. :thumbsup: They got some very authentic stuff (from what I can tell). And another good sign: *all* the other diners were Hyspanic. Actually, EVERYONE that walked thru the door spoke spanish except for a seemingly drunk dude that needed to call a cab.

Dehvee
11-27-2006, 06:32 PM
I like Fiores on 17th across the street from Western Canada HS. Italian food and they have $8 pasta all day on Monday and Tuesday. The Cannelloni omg :eek: :drool:

Speed_69
11-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Da Guido on center st. best pasta i've ever had :thumbsup:

likwid
11-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Paul's in Ramsay

Gondi Stylez
11-27-2006, 09:18 PM
La Chaumiere and Embarcaderos:drool:

max_boost
11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
I really like:

Buon Giorno (Italian) on 17th AVE SW.
Wa's (Japanese) 17th AVE NW & Center Street

TC2002
11-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

EK 2.0
11-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I really like:

Buon Giorno (Italian) on 17th AVE SW.
Wa's (Japanese) 17th AVE NW & Center Street

I like Peking Peking...:D ;)

clem24
11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Peking Peking?? Is it me or do you guys hate it when they repeat words like that? Like.. Chicken Fried Chicken at a restaurant. It appears they've run out of ideas or something. :thumbsdow Where's Peking Peking anyway..? :D

max_boost
11-28-2006, 02:04 AM
OK Thanks E-mack, is it the food or the discount that you like? haha

Yah I'm not a fan of the restaurant's name either. It's been over 11 years and we just never bothered changing it (took it from the old owner). We are in the Riverbend shopping Center. EK2.0 hypes it up too much haha

EK 2.0
11-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
OK Thanks E-mack, is it the food or the discount that you like? haha

I love the food and when I do sit down in the restaurant...I love the ice cream haha...

spyce
11-28-2006, 11:30 AM

It does have pretty bad service...but the food is just too good
Im tempted to go there some time soon now. Have a craving for it =D

nonlinear
11-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by h0tm1x

you can't be serious!?! This has to be one of the WORST restaurants I've ever been to! Based on the appearance of the place I wasn't exactly expecting authentic food, but they could at least use quality ingredients. i think they get those cheap ass no-name yellow corn chips from superstore (:barf:), and the taco/burrito meat is basically just overloaded with chili powder. a total hack job if you ask me. and then they somehow have the audacity to charge like $15-20 per meal! they must think we're fucking idiots.

and the funniest part is that their menu claims that the restaurant and menu were inspiired by a trip to mexico, but eating their food it's clear these fools have never had mexican food, ever.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

QUINN
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
sazio, great sevice and awesome food on 4th and 4th

HRD2PLZ
11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by h0tm1x

I went there last year with a friend and it was terrible, never got the courage to head back and try it again :barf:

Weapon_R
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Julio's barrio licks balls. I don't think most people go there to eat anyways. They focus more on their drinks but the service and food are awful

riceeater
11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
burger inn has really good food :nut: :thumbsup:

goldenaxle
11-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Maraju? Where the heck is that? Never heard of it.

It's just off of Centre street overpass (from Chinatown) that goes down towards 17th Ave NE. It's in the plaza with Starbucks.

goldenaxle
11-29-2006, 03:59 PM

They have probably one of the best deals if you have 4 or more people going. They have a dinner for 4 (a choice of 2 plates for BBQ, mandu soup, fried mandu, chicken & jellyfish, kimchi) that gives you tons of food. Who cares about bad service, as long as you get good food and your full. That is what matters.

If you want service, just go to an expensive restaurant.

Some other good korean restaurants is Kimchi House in the Chinatown plaza (the plaza that is with the TD chinatown) and also Dae Jang Geum, off of 14th St SW and 10 Ave (in that area)

clem24
11-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by goldenaxle
If you want service, just go to an expensive restaurant.

Bwahahaha, being expensive doesn't guarantee anything. I get better service at Banh Mi LaCay than I do some restaurants. :rolleyes:

goldenaxle
11-29-2006, 04:12 PM

Bwahahaha, being expensive doesn't guarantee anything. I get better service at Banh Mi LaCay than I do some restaurants. :rolleyes:

That's the place across from T&T right? I know the owners' daughter there :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
11-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by goldenaxle
That's the place across from T&T right? I know the owners' daughter there :thumbsup:

awwww want a cookie??

Slashin_
11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
its all about thi thi

Hydr0nik
11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Santorini Greek Taverna:thumbsup:

I can vouch for the quality there as I work there...

DepTrotter
12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Ordered some Peking Peking last night and was very plesantly suprised by the service i recieved for being a beyond.ca member. I talked to Max_Boost, and even though my area was a little bit out of the delivery range he made an exception for me and gave me a great deal as well!.. It doesnt hurt that the food tasted amazing too!

Thanks Buddy keep up the great customer service!

googlie_golfer
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Went there twice - first time food was good, ambience was so-so, but value kind of low. Had the Arugula pizza and it wasn't bad - not as good as the one I had in Verona (Italy), but pretty good.

Second time - probably the absolute worst customer service I have ever seen in ANY restaurent - anywhere. (OK maybe that chippie in Blackpool was worse but you get the drift...)

Eat out a lot, understand the business and not afraid to spend $$$- NEVER going back. Not really trying to sound "hoi polloi" because I travel a bit, but setting the stage on exactly how pissed off I was at the p*** poor attitude of the server and management in that place.

Venting in Calgary,

Googlie
:(

googlie_golfer
12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
OK - now that I've vented, I suppose I should answer the question...

Price independent - Murrietta's is normally really good. So is Jo Jo Bistro...

Value - Sandro's for Italian - it say's Pizzaria (and I think it's the best in town) but the rest of the menu is good too.

For an interesting treat, go to Vlasis Pizza on Centre and Mcnight NW, and go into the bar side and order the individual size pizza. It's been a while since I've been there, but the little pizza and a beer used to be a REALLY good combo. ( I always had Pepperoni, Black Olives and Feta cheese...try it out)

Best bet overall, spend some time perusing John Gilchrist's "Best of Calgary" book and find something that fits for your tastes and budget.

Googlie

EK 2.0
12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by googlie_golfer
how pissed off I was at the p*** poor attitude

so, you can say pissed off but cant say piss??

czechtino
12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey if you want good food and dont mind paying some money for it Ceasar Steak house one in Willow park and one downtown super good all around food salad and of course steak. I got more super a+++ but some are out of town likle in Canmore and Banff.
Another good steak place thats not to far out of town Steak Pit in Bragg creek. I had one bad exprience there tho, so im not a huge fan now but otherwise good place

:goflames:

DepTrotter
12-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by czechtino
Hey if you want good food and dont mind paying some money for it Ceasar Steak house one in Willow park and one downtown super good all around food salad and of course steak. I got more super a+++ but some are out of town likle in Canmore and Banff.
Another good steak place thats not to far out of town Steak Pit in Bragg creek. I had one bad exprience there tho, so im not a huge fan now but otherwise good place

:goflames:

what are you retarded?

this is a chinese food thread

thrasher22
12-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter

what are you retarded?

this is a chinese food thread

Are you retarted? like 1/3 places mentioned are chinese food places... Even the first post was for a spanish restaraunt

Matador's on shagganappi near market mall has WICKED pizza, the rest of the menu is supposed to be good too.

DepTrotter
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
wow i got pwnd

when i saw non chain i thought it said chinese

hahaha

Cruz
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Blue House Cafe is a great little intimate place with amazing seafood (located @ Northmount Dr/19th St NW)

Don Quijote across from Eau Claire on 3rd Ave SW has terrific and very authentic Spanish Food.

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 12:45 AM
I love that place, gangster land next door though right. (at the pool hall)

Nissanaddict
12-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by DepTrotter
wow i got pwnd

when i saw non chain i thought it said chinese

hahaha

Lol WTF? Is that how closely some people read on the internet? No wonder everything is a repost. That said, my input to this thread = Cattle Baron. Wonderful steak. Enough said.

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 02:32 AM
+1 for cattle baron