PDA

View Full Version : Accident During First Year of Driving

max_boost
09-06-2006, 09:40 PM
My brother is getting his license in a few months and I was talking to him about the probability of him getting into an accident during the first year of driving.

Just curious if it's just the people I know or if younger drivers are prone to getting into collisions during their first year of driving.

jdmakkord
09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I did, 3 months after buying a supra turbo at 17years of age. Live and learn I guess, it hit me where it hurts, the wallet.

kerry
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I did, but it was a t-bone not my fault...
But still counts.

ashee
09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I got in an accident switching lanes on 17th (dual fault thank god insurance didn't go up) a week after I got my truck, but I had my licence for 9 months before that.

Ripper
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
No accidents in my first 6 years :).

shakalaka
09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
In my 4th year as of now, no accidents so far. **knocks on wood**
2nd year of riding, still going strong. Just layed it down a little bit the other day cauz of stupid chick sitting behind me, not knowing what to do. Not really my fault!

88CRXGUY
09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
3 years for me and no accidents(alot of close calls)...

CelicaST-162
09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Had my first accident after one year with my license, again live and learn.

euro_racer
09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
none yet after 3 years of driving "knock on wood" :D

ashee
09-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Intersting it's almost 50/50

SilverBoost
09-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I got in one, but it wasn't in my first year where I was cautious and obeyed most everything by the book. No, it was a few years later after I got cocky and was also in one of those know it all stages of my life.

As was said, live and learn. ;)

I should add that it didn't involve another car though, it was a hydroplane incident from a combo of a lack of experience and a student budget that tempted me to try to use not-so-great tires in not-so-great conditions.

Proboscis
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
This one guy hit me, he had no insurance, we just exchanged paint , i felt bad for him, I got $500 for not reporting it. My first year of driving at 16 under my parents insurance. $500 in my pocket and my dad not kickin my ass!!!

topmade
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Got in one 2nd year of driving: not at fault, then one at about 4 years of driving: at fault. No accidents since and have been driving 10+ years now. I pay about $450/yr one way insurance for my 94 civic right now.

seer_claw
09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
NO, usually people are more cautious when they get their liscence. I didn't but I managed to get into one 2 years ago, not my fault, got rear ended.

Crymson
09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I took me less than two months to get into a completely my fault collision resulting in the writing off of my vehicle.

However, i've never had even so much as a scuff since.

ashee
09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Got in one 2nd year of driving: not at fault, then one at about 4 years of driving: at fault. No accidents since and have been drivig 10+ years now. I pay about $450/yr one way insurance for my 94 civic right now.

$450 a year?! I dream of rates that low, haha.

ercchry
09-06-2006, 10:39 PM
got in to 2 car incedents not since buth my failt both with in my first two years of driving both bs both because of in expereance none since

ercchry
09-06-2006, 10:39 PM
sorry bit drunk right now (10 deep)

schurchill39
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I was hit in my first year, panned out to be not my fault but it took alot of hard work to get it that way.

+1 for live and learn. I am now alot more cautious of what other drivers around me are doing.

Darkane
09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
8 1/2 years driving. No accidents, no tickets, no nothing.

Realistically: I rear ended some chick on glenmore going extremely slow one time not paying attention. No damage to her car. Minor mine. Didnt do anything.

got like 4 or 5 multinovas.

As far as the Gov't knows im clean baby :)

CivicTunr
09-06-2006, 10:47 PM
well i got into a accident after i got my learners but before i got my license hahaha i hit a parked car hahaha.

3G
09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
got into one my 2nd month of driving, solved it without goin through insurance, cash is good :D

topmade
09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by ashee

$450 a year?! I dream of rates that low, haha.

Believe me, being a good driver does eventually pay off. When I started driving, I would race everything including old grannies and school buses and at one point was down to 1 demirit and paying close to $300/month for one way insurance. Then I turned a whole 360 degrees and now I couldn't care less of other drivers and just enjoy the drive. Also having 2 little hobbits will change your driving style as well hehe.

ercchry
09-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by topmade

Believe me, being a good driver does eventually pay off. When I started driving, I would race everything including old grannies and school buses and at one point was down to 1 demirit and paying close to $300/month for one way insurance. Then I turned a whole 360 degrees and now I couldn't care less of other drivers and just enjoy the drive. Also having 2 little hobbits will change your driving style as well hehe.

i wish i could do that whats the secret ( with out having kids)

ZedMan
09-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I hit a SUV in a parking lot when I had my learners, since then nothing *knock knock*.

jmeriel
09-06-2006, 11:03 PM
after 10 years of driving...got into a car accident today..:(

tony7077
09-06-2006, 11:04 PM
havent got into ne accidents yet..i hit a tree drifting lol it was
my fault and totally stupid but not a car accident..other then
that ive had about 1000 close calls in my 10 months of driving lol

Datsun-Fever
09-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I got into one just recently...Head on collision when i what taking a left on a solid green...Good thing the witness agreed with me that that guy was going FAST! so my insurence went down 6 bucks a month hahahah. But, as jdmakkord said, it hurt me in the wallet...and the collar bone....and the ribs...and the right lung.

cityhunter2501
09-06-2006, 11:05 PM
in a way I did.

I was driving too close to the car in front of me, he did a hard brake and ended up bumping him lightly.
no damage was done, so police/insurance wasnt involved

other than that I had lots of close call, but luckily never been in an accident.

Zero102
09-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by ZedMan
I hit a SUV in a parking lot when I had my learners, since then nothing *knock knock*.

Hahaha, that is pretty backwards don't you think?...
Isn't it usually the SUV's that hit the other cars in the parking lot? ;)

Been driving 5, almost 6 years now. 4 not-at-fault's, 2 rear-enders, 2 side-swipes (one I was stopped, the other I have witnesses saying I stayed in my lane). Only one of them was in my first year of driving (the side-swipe where I was stopped), it was at about the 4-5 month mark.

Pihsiak
09-06-2006, 11:14 PM
My first car was a Mini van.
So it's not like I could drag with anyone at the red lights.

That plus common sense.

A2VR6
09-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Nothing in my first year with a license but I did hit a wall with my dad's 2 day old car when i was 14 and after 4 years only been involved in 3 not-at-faults... all 3 were rear enders with me sitting at a light at a complete stop.

ercchry
09-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Nothing in my first year with a license but I did hit a wall with my dad's 2 day old car when i was 14 and after 4 years only been involved in 3 not-at-faults... all 3 were rear enders with me sitting at a light at a complete stop.

my favorate is when you are stoped behind the guy at the lights and he backs in to you because he is halfway in to the intersection

BoS_DC2
09-06-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm 17 just got my learners last year and I've been driving with my dad a lot. This past year I've probably totaled over 100 hours on the car. No accident so far! He owns a 98 rav-4, not exactly the fastest thing on the road. 130hp feels like 110.

evo916
09-06-2006, 11:26 PM
i got in 2 accidents in 3 days when i was driving for 3 months one was my fault and one was a drunk running into me my prelude was fukd after i was finished with it

ercchry
09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2
I'm 17 just got my learners last year and I've been driving with my dad a lot. This past year I've probably totaled over 100 hours on the car. No accident so far! He owns a 98 rav-4, not exactly the fastest thing on the road. 130hp feels like 110.

yeah my buddy has one and we are in lethbridge right now and it drops 20km/h goin up the hill on whoopup lol funny shit

Zoom_Zoom
09-06-2006, 11:35 PM
ive been stealing my brothers car overnight since i was about 13, NO accidents. but now i barrow it cuz its so fukin fast.

BoS_DC2
09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

yeah my buddy has one and we are in lethbridge right now and it drops 20km/h goin up the hill on whoopup lol funny shit

lol, true that. There's this ECT button that's suppose to boost the performance of the car. Actually you should try it out. Feels like it got 10 hp boost and a nice roar from the engine. LOL. :D

A2VR6
09-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

my favorate is when you are stoped behind the guy at the lights and he backs in to you because he is halfway in to the intersection

Almost had that happen to me a few times...except in my cases the guy accidently leaves the car in reverse. most of the time I just lay on the horn and the guy gets the idea that he's still in reverse but once this lady still didnt get the clue so basically I had to drive into the lane beside me in order for her not to nail me when the light turned green. Usually I leave enough room with the car infront of me that if they do stop in the intersection they have enough room to back up.

ercchry
09-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2

lol, true that. There's this ECT button that's suppose to boost the performance of the car. Actually you should try it out. Feels like it got 10 hp boost and a nice roar from the engine. LOL. :D

where is that

ercchry
09-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Almost had that happen to me a few times...except in my cases the guy accidently leaves the car in reverse. most of the time I just lay on the horn and the guy gets the idea that he's still in reverse but once this lady still didnt get the clue so basically I had to drive into the lane beside me in order for her not to nail me when the light turned green. Usually I leave enough room with the car infront of me that if they do stop in the intersection they have enough room to back up.

yeah but i was in the 240 and it was new ( about a month old and i coundnt find the horn in time and it was a big cube van comin toward me it dont do to much a few scratches and squished bumper foam but thats abut it

DALLEN
09-07-2006, 12:00 AM
4 years with my license still accident's :thumbsup:

rc2002
09-07-2006, 12:37 AM
I think the highest chance of getting into an accident is when you give a teenager a license and freedom to drive alone for the first time. It was true for myself - I got in a LOT of close calls. I'm surprised I didn't get into an accident.

With traffic the way it is now, it would be even more likely.

arian_ma
09-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I voted yes but my mom's car's brakes failed going down a hill and I went through a red light...so it wasn't really my fault.

Aleks
09-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Nothing yet. And they are no accidents only collisions :poosie:

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Not in first year... second year on the other hand... got a little too cocky, drove a car that shouldn't of been on the road, (brakes we're picky, replaced 3 times in 2 months) brakes failed, rear ended a jeep... my fault, nothing since (lots of close calls before that...)

bituerbo
09-07-2006, 08:06 AM
First year was clear, 6th year driving got my bumper tapped by a cabbie, minimal damage to both cars. Fourth year I put a car off during a TSD rally, but there was no ***reaaalll*** damage, the car just skidded off down a steep gravel embankment and rested halfway on it's side. Road turned, car wasn't heavy on the wheels when I realized how sharp the corner was. Hehe, as we're cresting: "Caution, acute downhill.... fuck."

HRD2PLZ
09-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I had 2 collisions my first year of driving. Neither of them were my fault though. My sister's car was written off her second year of driving (sandwiched between an SUV and a car). That wasn't so much fun... :nut:

Mar
09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
This guy had his license for 2 weeks and was edging into my lane on a left hand turn as I was coming towards him, I guess he thought I'd see him and let him go. I was busy changing CD and when I looked up, his van was filling 3/4 of my windshield. I only had my license a few months.

so +1 for me.

adam c
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
i didnt have an accident until i bought my first car, then within 5 months i had 2 (not at fault) and the second one resulted in a write off

mekeni
09-07-2006, 08:42 AM
after a week of getting my new integra, it got hit by a golf ball...

abyss
09-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Pseudo accident 6 months after I got my lisc. I was waiting in a yield lane behind a guy and I was stopped too close to him, well he started to go and I shoulder checked to see if there was room for me too, let my foot off the brake and idled into him cause he had changed his mind and stopped suddenly. He tried to sue me for $100,000.00. It's still on my record.

doublepostwhore
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
4 months in I backed into a light post, it was in my mums suv, it was fucking rediculous, the blind spots. 1000$ worth of damage, fuck x5's :@.

No car - Car accidents.

Knock on wood.

GQBalla
09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
car was involved in 2 hit and runs - 1 at sun chiu kee - 1 at the bank - the banks incident.... i ran into the bank to withdraw some money i had just washed my car that day, i come out my bumper was missing some paint....i was so angry.. honestly i was only in there for max 5 minutes

another incident my fault - i was goin to work at 5:45 in the morning long story short i was tired and i was backin into my parkin space and i bumped the pole - good thing no damage!!!

dieselpower91
09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
No at fault's.. 7 years of driving.
I did T-bone a guy who ran a red turn light right in front of me. wrote off his Mercedes (hit one side and it slid around a hit a pole on the other side, cracked both rear wheels)
I was able to drive my bruised Nova home.. It just needed a new fender, headlight and bumper shock pulled out.
He tried to blame me. I had 2 witnesses and the police on my side even though I was 17 at the time. His insurance paid out well after trying to call my car a write-off because it is a 74'.

403Gemini
09-07-2006, 11:44 AM
i didnt have any accidents so i voted no, but i almost killed a pedestrian in my first year, so after that i smartened up REAL quick.

max_boost
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I was joking about how it is some sort of newb initiation haha
An early crash so it wakes you up and lets you know that you aren't invincible.

Lo)2enz0
09-07-2006, 01:41 PM
i got in my first accident 4 years when i was 16. i was attempting to dori dori my ford taurus. tire blew out and totalled the car. since than i have changed my driving style and am more mature about it.

when your 16 your a dumbass, in 90% of the cases

stevieo
09-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
8 1/2 years driving. No accidents, no tickets, no nothing.

Realistically: I rear ended some chick on glenmore going extremely slow one time not paying attention. No damage to her car. Minor mine. Didnt do anything.

got like 4 or 5 multinovas.

As far as the Gov't knows im clean baby :)

sorta the same with me, but ive only been on the road for 4 1/2 yrs.

1st year, i let my foot off the brake and the car crept up and tapped another car on the rear bumper, guy didn't care or notice cause he drove off after.

never done anything like that ever again.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
i didnt have any accidents so i voted no, but i almost killed a pedestrian in my first year, so after that i smartened up REAL quick.

and this also happened to me 1st year. It was PITCH black outside, and someone tried to cross, i couldn't see them till last second. needless to say i am very well aware of my surroundings now.

edit: i also been rear ended once by a buddy who wasn't paying attention. backed up into by a drunk lady who proceeded to not pay for my damages and backed up into the side of my car by another lady.

CarbonCopy
09-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Smacked a geo on ice.

jdm_eg6
09-07-2006, 07:41 PM
No accidents yet, a light bump that i whiped away from the others rear bumper and thats it, the thing to remember are the rules and regs if you are an AWARE driver and do what is right and always watching your position on the road, you may encounter close calls but atleast your chances of an accident being your fault are LOW! which is most important.

Make sure your brother knows not to be an idiot! iam 18 now and have been driving since 17, 1 year and somtimes i drive like an idiot but i have noticed being aware and being in control is what counts.

theken
09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
i got hit just after my first year, like 3 days haha, wrote off my car. really sucked

Audio_Rookie
09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
11 months in I hit a civic, I was going down an alley and there was a T intersection, I hit the brakes to hard and slid, civic came zooming by in front of me and jerked to the left so that I hit him. It was my fault I didnt stop in time, but he could have avoided it.

my fault, paid 1500$ in damages, didnt go through insurance.

2 years driving I was in a parking lot stuck in a line up to get out, and this guy is on his cell phone and backs right up and hits me. I was behind him before he even got in the car, I was stuck there. He didnt even look back

I got 1500$ for that one :). Had to work at it for months as the guy wasnt the insured driver, not even a registered vehicle. And the guy was on parroll....had to deal with police alot.

Eric G.

carter_prelude
09-07-2006, 08:51 PM
if its gonna happen...it usually happends within the first 3 months...getting cocky and getting more confedence and trying the e brake out lol....i speak from experience...and i've learned my lesson, no more going sideways for this guy :whipped: :banghead: not a good idea.

Kirbs17
09-07-2006, 09:22 PM
4 years and no accidents (knock on wood)

boarderfatty
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
nothing until 2.5 yrs of driving then 2 stupid small accidents in 3 days, both where i tooks my dad's jeep and backed into my buddies car on the driveway

it was horrible yet funny at the same time

Tik-Tok
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
First year? Try next day, lol.

Hungover, 4 in the morning going to my shitty job, turned left at lights, wasn't paying attention to the guy opposite me who wasn't turning. BLAMO! A small dent in the chrome around my headlight for me, completely buckled 1/4 panel and 3G's in damage for him.

First and ONLY accident (caused by me anyways)