PDA

View Full Version : Where to get rice paper?

Kinger
09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Im addicted to vietnamese food lately and want to make some of my own shrimp salad rolls. Where do i get the rice paper to make the rolls? Im not 100% the stuff is rice paper, im talking about the clearish stuff they make the rolls out of. Thanks in advance.

mo_money2supe
09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
T&T Supermarket. Just soak them in water, and pull them out when you're ready to use them.

topmade
09-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Any asian supermarket will have them, such as T&t, Lamba, Sun Fat, Lucky supermarket, etc....

Just make sure you look at the ingredients and it has Tapioca starch in it. The ones without Tapioca starch will fall apart easier.

00CivicSi
09-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Instead of shrimp add either crab meat or lobster meat (real stuff)
It is so good you will never eat out again! :thumbsup:

ashee
09-06-2006, 11:31 PM
T&T has everything foreign.

BigDannyCool
09-07-2006, 02:39 AM
superstore will have them.

saiyajin
09-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
T&T Supermarket. Just soak them in water, and pull them out when you're ready to use them.

actually you have to be quick cant keep them soaked too long or they will just fall apart just dip it in and take it out like in 2sec and wrap right after

gatorade
09-07-2006, 02:13 PM
actually this process is not as easy as you think, everytime I take them out they rip, or I have trouble folding it up properly, I gave up a long time ago and just let me mom make em

szw
09-07-2006, 02:30 PM
It is very easy, you don't need to soak them only dip them in the water. Folding is another issue though haha

Mikey_008
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Just gotta be careful with those ricer papers after you dip them in water. Once they get soft, they're also gonna get sticky....most likely on the surface of the counter or table. that's why you gotta work at a good pace.And when it gets sticky, it's more easier for them to rip...especially when you're trying to roll. What I suggest you do is get a "clean" damped cloth and lay it on the counter or table and then place the dipped rice paper over top of the cloth.

I rolled these like everyday...family owned Vietnamese Restaurant!:rolleyes:

dj_rice
09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

Originally posted by saiyajin

actually you have to be quick cant keep them soaked too long or they will just fall apart just dip it in and take it out like in 2sec and wrap right after

This is what happens when Chinese people answer questions on Vietnamese cuisine....:rofl: :rofl:

But yeah saiyajin is correct, what I do is, dip them in lukewarm water, and then wrap right away with all the ingredients and if your wrapping skills keep making the paper rip...theres 2 solutions...either your using too much ingredients in ur rolls and its getting too fat, or use 2 sheets of paper...

And to make a awesome dipping sauce for your salad rolls, you can either use nookmum with a lil sugar, vinegar and some sambal olek or mix some hoisin sauce with a lil warm water to make it less thick and crush some peanuts and mix together...:thumbsup:

eb0i
09-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

This is what happens when Chinese people answer questions on Vietnamese cuisine....:rofl: :rofl:

But yeah saiyajin is correct, what I do is, dip them in lukewarm water, and then wrap right away with all the ingredients and if your wrapping skills keep making the paper rip...theres 2 solutions...either your using too much ingredients in ur rolls and its getting too fat, or use 2 sheets of paper...

:werd:

Also different brands also have different thickness to them.

You can also buy them from Co-op

If I'm down on 17th SE then I go to Hiep Hoa (by Pizza Hut).

But yeah, just dip in luke warm water and take out quickly. If they rip, use 2 of them or when you are dip it in-and-out faster.

abyss
09-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I've never had a problem with them ripping. I dip for a second, take it out, let it sit for a bit to soften around the edges and then roll. Maybe you guys are just trying to roll too fast or something? Be a little more gentle with them!!!

saiyajin
09-07-2006, 10:11 PM
the best method is to roll right after you dip... although it may seem like it hasnt soften yet but thats what makes it easier to wrap cuz once you are done wrapping THEN it softens and ready to eat :thumbsup:
if it was soft and then you wrap, it tends to rip

mo_money2supe
09-07-2006, 10:16 PM

Hahaha...wow, so you met me once last year for like 15 mins, and you still remember that I'm Chinese?? But yeah, don't ask Chinese people about Viet cuisine, we really don't know much, well, my family at least.

Besides, it's been years since I've last used these to make wraps. I mean, I am Chinese; we don't exactly make salad rolls everyday!

Oh another note, mmmm...:drool: salad rolls...

gatorade
09-08-2006, 12:50 AM
im viet :(

BerserkerCatSplat
09-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Man, now I want some salad rolls! Damn you all! :drool:

pinoyboy99
09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
how do you make the sauce or dip for the rolls, like wat ingredients do you use??

dj_rice
09-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by pinoyboy99
how do you make the sauce or dip for the rolls, like wat ingredients do you use??

If you had learned to read the above posts u would of gotten the answer....

And to make a awesome dipping sauce for your salad rolls, you can either use nookmum with a lil sugar, vinegar and some sambal olek or mix some hoisin sauce with a lil warm water to make it less thick and crush some peanuts and mix together...

Supa Dexta
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
ur rolls and its getting too fat, or use 2 sheets of paper...

That's how you roll a blunt, thats how you roll a blunt, let all roll a blunt and get fuk'd up..

dj_rice
09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

That's how you roll a blunt, thats how you roll a blunt, let all roll a blunt and get fuk'd up..

Nah man, for my blunts you need 50 papers.....thats how I dooz it

Sprinter
09-14-2006, 12:59 PM
wow... learned to make dippin sauce for salad rolls, thanks dj_rice :thumbsup:

Nah man, for my blunts you need 50 papers.....thats how I dooz it

Thats a huge B****

eb0i
09-16-2006, 05:38 PM

And to make a awesome dipping sauce for your salad rolls, you can either use nookmum with a lil sugar, vinegar and some sambal olek or mix some hoisin sauce with a lil warm water to make it less thick and crush some peanuts and mix together...

nuoc mam:thumbsup: