PDA

View Full Version : Turboing a 95 BMW 325i?

Gripenfelter
09-06-2006, 10:55 PM
How hard is it to turbo a BMW 325i?

I have a local guy that can make the exhaust manifold and supply the turbo.

What else is involved?

How much boost can the stock motor handle?

I can't decide between an Audi A4 quattro or a BMW 325i to buy as a project car.

R-Audi
09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
With the A4 already being turbo you will have way more options available...The toughest part of turboing any car like that is the software.. (as the same with the A4's..)

ex1z7
09-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Couldn't you get a standalone engine management and get it professionally tuned .. though .. ?

And go the bmw, turbo bmw's are sick =).

AllGoNoShow
09-08-2006, 09:39 PM
As you should know Gripen, for the most part of internals its how well the engine is tuned. If you have the straighest A/F ratio and of course other factors on here, then your internals are gfoing to last longer then the 3 series that went for 5 hour tune and got some of it level.

If you want to talk about internals, qmf on here is a local member which knows quite abit about the internals for these babies as he is going through that process right now, he may be able to help you out.

DTMpower.net also has a very members who are doign some sick e36 turbos.

three.eighteen.
09-09-2006, 01:04 AM
it's doable, i think the main reason it isnt done more often is because most BMW drivers stay away from really down and dirty mods (require custom work and planning) and just buy kits for stuff, so turbo kits are like 8-10g for e36s

the stock compression is 10.5:1 in the m50 engines, and if you're talking about a e36 325i its guaranteed to be obd1

stock output whp is usually around 175-185hp, so assuming mild 7-9 lbs of boost which seems pretty reasonable, you could probably put down like 220-240whp pretty easily