PDA

View Full Version : Canon's New Dust Reuction System

Pihsiak
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Taken from Dpreview's 400D read up
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082416canoneos400drebelxti.asp

Video!!
http://sjl-static14.sjl.youtube.com/vi/_P8_LNmpFSc/2.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P8_LNmpFSc)

The EOS 400D is the first camera to incorporate the EOS Integrated Cleaning System. Based on significant research into the causes of dust in D-SLR cameras, the system combats dust in three important ways: Reduce, Repel and Remove.

1. Reduce - Internal camera mechanisms are designed to minimise dust generation. The body cap is redesigned to prevent dust generation through wear on the cap itself.

2. Repel - Anti-static technologies are applied to the low-pass filter covering the front of the sensor so as not to attract dust.

3. Remove - A Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit uses hi-frequency vibrations to shake dust from the low pass filter for a period of approximately one second after each start up. For instant shooting after power up, this feature is disabled immediately the shutter release is depressed.

Canon has also developed an internal Dust Delete Data system, which can map the position of any visible dust on the sensor. This can then be deleted automatically after the shoot with the latest Digital Photo Professional software.

So the camera is made of materials to keep dust out.
There is a filter that vibrates (like the oylmpus cameras) to shake off dust when you turn on or off the camera.
You can calabrate the camera before you go on a shoot and have the software take off stuborn dust afterwards.

I wonder if my battery grip on the XT will fit the XTi....
Get a body only and sell off my camera.....

BerserkerCatSplat
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
It shakes off the dust, yes. However, much like the Olympus units, the dust is still inside the camera body. As soon as the sensor energizes (creating static), it sucks the dust right back on.

I see these systems as a stopgap measure until someone designs a true dust removal system.

D'z Nutz
09-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
It shakes off the dust, yes. However, much like the Olympus units, the dust is still inside the camera body. As soon as the sensor energizes (creating static), it sucks the dust right back on.

Not only that, but the dust that can't be shaken off is still on the pass filter, just mapped out with software.

I'm really anal about sensor dust so it'd still bug me knowing it's there. Just clean it yourself. It's really not that hard.

turboMiata
09-07-2006, 04:32 PM
yes, the BG from the XT should fit.

benyl
09-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Not only that, but the dust that can't be shaken off is still on the pass filter, just mapped out with software.

I'm really anal about sensor dust so it'd still bug me knowing it's there. Just clean it yourself. It's really not that hard.

You should come clean my sensor... haha

D'z Nutz
09-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Man, for a second there, I thought you were gonna use your gear! Haha

DJ Lazy
09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl

+1!! :D

D'z Nutz
09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

+1!! :D

Man, for a second there, I thought you were gonna use your gear too! :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
09-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Bah, sensor cleaning is easier than it sounds! I did mine last week, once you get over the oh-god-i'm-going-to-break-my-sensor jitters it's a breeze! Took me a few tries to get all the dust off, but it's sooo much better than paying Nikon to do it for me!

DJ Lazy
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Man, for a second there, I thought you were gonna use your gear too! :rofl:

Don't remind me... :( Been so busy with work these past couple months, I have no urge to go out and shoot, well I do have the urge, but too bloody tired... I want to get out soon, but working straight thru till next weekend... so my chances are slim...:cry: