PDA

View Full Version : somebody clear this up for me regarding insurance!

black13
09-07-2006, 01:43 PM
If your driving your dad's car with him sitting in the passenger seat, when only your dad has insurance on the car, is this illegal and does every single person sitting behind the wheel HAVE to have insurance on the car?

And my friend once told me that as long your parents even have insurance on the car the kid can go driving alone as long as he has his class 5 but I highly doubted him!
Or would it be find as long as the person doesn't get into an accident?

DannyO
09-07-2006, 02:09 PM
As for as I'm still aware, if you are still living at home, then you are automatically covered for driving, not full time, but for the possibility for driving it, for you to be excluded from being covered you actually have to sign whats called an SEF form (if I remember correctly), so yes, you should be covered.

the_new_santa1
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
^correct when ur parents get insurance the insurance comapny will ask you.....how many people in the house hold are eligable to drive...meaning how many people ahve there class 5 so, i think you are covered.....but this has been covered before the only sure fire way is to call your insurance company it takes 10 minutes and may save you hassel in the future.....

Weapon_R
09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
This is untrue. The insurance company will ask you "how many licensed drivers are in the home", and if you tell them that there are more drivers than vehicles they will note that. If you are caught uninsured in your parents vehicle you can be denied coverage.

Do you really think its that simple? If it were, why would they have occaisonal driver insurance?

black13
09-07-2006, 02:59 PM
yeah I'm also guessing each insurance company's policy differs from another as well.

Will go and call them up now, thanks.

403Gemini
09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by black13
If your driving your dad's car with him sitting in the passenger seat, when only your dad has insurance on the car, is this illegal and does every single person sitting behind the wheel HAVE to have insurance on the car?

And my friend once told me that as long your parents even have insurance on the car the kid can go driving alone as long as he has his class 5 but I highly doubted him!
Or would it be find as long as the person doesn't get into an accident?

if you're driving with your dad, in your dads car, and he has insurance, you are fine.

i can take my best friends car and drive it. im not insured on his policy but with his permission i can drive it, even without him in the vehicle.

say i take his vehicle every lunch to go pick up food, and one day hes not there and i still take his vehicle. its implied consent because he let me take it every other time.

Originally posted by black13
yeah I'm also guessing each insurance company's policy differs from another as well.

Will go and call them up now, thanks.

and no, every insurance company follows the Alberta standard automobile policy S.P.F. no. 1, they're not all "different" ;)

lint
09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

i can take my best friends car and drive it. im not insured on his policy but with his permission i can drive it, even without him in the vehicle.

say i take his vehicle every lunch to go pick up food, and one day hes not there and i still take his vehicle. its implied consent because he let me take it every other time.

Insurance covers occasional drivers (friends relatives visiting) when they do not reside at the same residence. It's a different situation when you both live at the same address. You are expected to have your own coverage. Otherwise, kids living at home wouldn't need to pay for their own insurance premiums.

rc2002
09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Best thing to do is to call your insurance company and ask to make sure.

energieboi
09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
This is untrue. The insurance company will ask you "how many licensed drivers are in the home", and if you tell them that there are more drivers than vehicles they will note that. If you are caught uninsured in your parents vehicle you can be denied coverage.

Do you really think its that simple? If it were, why would they have occaisonal driver insurance?

:werd: DO NOT DRIVE YOUR PRARENTS VEHICLE WITHOUT YOUR NAME UNDER THE INSURANCE

DannyO
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I should have mentioned that but forgot, they have to have a licence as well, if they do not, the insured has to sign an SEF44 before getting insurance, to say that the unlicenced in the house WILL NOT DRIVE, and will not be covered under any circumstances, but even though the licenced guys are covered, it is just for very occasional use, if you end up driving it everyday or very often, and get into an accident, the insurance company will investigate to see how often the car was driven by that guy, if its alot then they won't be covered, but you should check with your insurance company beforehand as each one is different, but this is how it is when I worked for Royal & Sun.

The Cosworth
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

I should have mentioned that but forgot, they have to have a licence as well, if they do not, the insured has to sign an SEF44 before getting insurance, to say that the unlicenced in the house WILL NOT DRIVE, and will not be covered under any circumstances, but even though the licenced guys are covered, it is just for very occasional use, if you end up driving it everyday or very often, and get into an accident, the insurance company will investigate to see how often the car was driven by that guy, if its alot then they won't be covered, but you should check with your insurance company beforehand as each one is different, but this is how it is when I worked for Royal & Sun.

its not the unliceneced driver its the licenced driver that has to sign but doesnt have a car... If you live with room-mates but they dont have a car but can drive they have to sign the form regardless if u will ever give them the keys or not.

Why would they ask u to sign for someone who cant legally drive?