PDA

View Full Version : RHD and insurance

carter_prelude
09-07-2006, 06:15 PM
sorry if this has been asked before, i tried searching and found nothing that i was looking for...
no im not asking if it wierd and what not

What i WOULD like to know is info from anyone with a RHD vehical that has been in an accident.

If so, how easy was it to claim insurance?

has anyone been denied coverage/money after an accident?

I've heard that if you hit another car in your RHD car and the person was injured, you can be sued for millions and be screwed just because your car is RHD and not LHD?

Another thing i heard was that they will be made illegal in Canada in 2007, is this true?

I've also heard of people getting in an accident and the insurance company wouldn't cover them because it was RHD. Also and companies that you would recomend? Im getting sick of the one im with and im ready for a change. I was charged $50 per month for 3 months for no reason and now my rate is back to normal :dunno:

any help would be great, i plan on buying the car in late spring :thumbsup:

FivE.SeveN
09-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Well I can answer 1 question for sure: the 50 extra per month is because you have to pay the 1st and last month of your coverage -- they split the last month bill up across three smaller ones so it's easier to pay. :nut:

I havent heard anything about making rhd's illegal, they've been legal here for ever (it's not just japanese cars that would affect but euros as well). Probably just another rumor.

carter_prelude
09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
why would they charge me that like....5 months after I signed up with them?

oh yea and im under Peace Hills...anyone know if they insure RHD cars as easy as State Farm? that seems to be the most popular one i've heard about

FivE.SeveN
09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Well that changes things lol, usually they put the extra charges on when you first insure a car, not 5 months later....

Also fyi I had to fight statefarm to cover mine. They had to call head office in toronto, then they wanted pics. :dunno: statefarm must really hate cars with mods... to bad mods dont show up on a picture muahaha

carter_prelude
09-07-2006, 08:29 PM
hahahaha yea, i've heard good things about them. Im willing to switch to whoever will be easyest to deal with, at this point i don't care. I called them and they had no explanation of why my payments were $50 more when i never did anything. In fact, i GOT a speeding ticket and they came down....wtf lol:dunno:

AzN'SKillZ
09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
statefarm:thumbsdow

carter_prelude
09-08-2006, 07:22 AM
hmm...i guess i'll have to keep reading and asking around.

can anyong answer my 1st, 2nd and 3rd question?

Masked Bandit
09-08-2006, 08:25 AM
RHD has no impact on your insurance policy whatsoever. With that said, mods can really screw things up. In the end, if you have a decent broker, they can tell you what will and will not cause problems on a claims with respects to mods.

T-Dubbs
09-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
RHD has no impact on your insurance policy whatsoever. With that said, mods can really screw things up. In the end, if you have a decent broker, then can tell you what will and will not cause problems on a claims with respects to mods.

someone needs to make this a sticky for noobs

carter_prelude
09-08-2006, 12:21 PM
i didn't mean the rates going up. I ment if you were in an accident can your insurance company say, "we're not covering you because your cars RHD and you couldn't see good enough." ?

carter_prelude
09-08-2006, 12:22 PM
also what kind of mods can screw things up for claims??

Masked Bandit
09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
i didn't mean the rates going up. I ment if you were in an accident can your insurance company say, "we're not covering you because your cars RHD and you couldn't see good enough." ?

RHD will not jeopardize your coverage. Just make sure you advise your broker of this when you first insure the car.

Masked Bandit
09-08-2006, 01:35 PM
also what kind of mods can screw things up for claims??

Well, it's a long list but basically, anything designed to enhance speed/performance can void your policy.

There are a specific list of things like engine swaps, aftermarket turbo & superchargers / nitro that are non-negotiable.

Then there are things like suspension adjustments that will differ from company to company. Basically, a comptent broker should be able to explain this to you. The problem is most brokers don't have a clue when it comes to modified vehicles.

carter_prelude
09-08-2006, 05:15 PM
for the aftermarket turbo's....can't you argue that the factory one blew and you needed a new one?

T-Dubbs
09-08-2006, 09:38 PM
for the aftermarket turbo's....can't you argue that the factory one blew and you needed a new one?

the same rules apply for all cars. RHD doesnt change anything
end of story

carter_prelude
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
ok :) my teacher told me you could have insurance, but when the insurance company finds out its RHD after your in an accdent they won't cover you :(

thats mainly what i was worried about :thumbsup:

FivE.SeveN
09-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Actually I wanna get in a question too.. does anyone know of an insurance company that isn't anal about adding mods? Technically you'd think cars that have suspension upgrades are *safer* because it holds the road better, yes?

carter_prelude
09-09-2006, 09:46 AM
if its done properly...most are cut springs and i think thats what they are scared of lol

i wanna know of a company too :thumbsup:

T-Dubbs
09-09-2006, 10:16 AM
ok :) my teacher told me you could have insurance, but when the insurance company finds out its RHD after your in an accdent they won't cover you :(

thats mainly what i was worried about :thumbsup:

your teacher doesnt know what he/she is talking about, my soarer is completly insured, even thou its rhd. there is no issues with insuring a rhd

most insurance companies wont like modded cars.

carter_prelude
09-09-2006, 10:25 AM
hows it different than my 240sx with rims and lowered? not arguing, just wondering since everyones said that theres no difference

carter_prelude
09-09-2006, 10:27 AM
T-Dubbs check your PM's i had a few questions about your car :thumbsup: :drool:

Ca_Silvia13
09-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Last year i had some bitch crash in to me writting my Silvia off. My insurance company over paid me for what it was insured for. And not once raised any concern about it being imported or RHD or modified for speed, because it definatly was modified for speed.

carter_prelude
09-09-2006, 02:39 PM
sorry to hear that...but at least you got more money out of it :thumbsup:

what insurance company are you with? im going to give them a call...

and if you don't mind me asking...
what did you buy after? another one? how did you like it? you can PM me your reply since its a little off topic

Annoyingrob
09-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

RHD will not jeopardize your coverage. Just make sure you advise your broker of this when you first insure the car.

I think they will figure something's up when your VIN isn't long enough :)

I insure my RHD supra with TD Meloche Monnex. I had ZERO problems getting insurance, just a simple "It's Japanese, it doesn't have a VIN, only a manufacturer supplied serial number." I had to get a vehicle inspection done on the car to get comprehensive insurance because they have no comparable north american vehicle to compare value with (They never brought the old twin turbo supras to north america).

Hope that helps.

japancar
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

I think they will figure something's up when your VIN isn't long enough :)

I insure my RHD supra with TD Meloche Monnex. I had ZERO problems getting insurance, just a simple "It's Japanese, it doesn't have a VIN, only a manufacturer supplied serial number." I had to get a vehicle inspection done on the car to get comprehensive insurance because they have no comparable north american vehicle to compare value with (They never brought the old twin turbo supras to north america).

Hope that helps.

I used Meloche Monnex for my car and house when I lived in Edmonton. Excellent for both. They lived up to their end of the deal during the Edmonton flood a while ago, and never had a claim with the car.

Ca_Silvia13
09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
sorry to hear that...but at least you got more money out of it :thumbsup:

what insurance company are you with? im going to give them a call...

and if you don't mind me asking...
what did you buy after? another one? how did you like it? you can PM me your reply since its a little off topic

Well i go through a broker called Holly Gordan Insurance, awesome company to deal with. But the car was written off and paid for by Wawanesa insurance because it was their clients fault.

And oh ya i bought another Silvia, the Silvia i have now is way better than my last one in everyway.

carter_prelude
09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Do you guys have collision insurance? or just liability?

Annoyingrob
09-12-2006, 06:05 AM
I have collision, and in order to get it, I needed a vehicle appraisal done ($250 if I remember correctly)

carter_prelude
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
alright, its well worth it from what I hear. How much do you pay a year? if you don't mind me asking