PDA

View Full Version : Importing (New question)

arian_ma
09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm not 100% sure if I want to do this yet, but with school starting and all, I just don't have time to do all of the paper work for importing a car. Therefore I am willing to pay someone to do everything for me and all I'd have to do is drive down there, give the guy the money, and drive back to Canada with all the proper papers in hand so that I don't get hassled at the border.

So, my question is, how much would someone on here charge me to do this for me?

Thanks!

xrayvsn
09-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Have you looked into Searail? They apparently will transport your car and deal with the paperwork for importation for about $600.

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I would find a broker there are lots of companies out there who buy cars from the states and bring them up to Canada.

arian_ma
09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys.
A broker quoted me something like $26k Canadian for a $17k USD car after everything was said and done which I thought was stupid because even after everything:

($17k * 1.12 * 1.06 * 1.061)+1.5K would only come out to 23K and adding that 1.5K at the end is being REAAALLY generous I think. Let's say I pay them $600 for doing all the paper work, flight down there is $200...I don't think it's going to cost me more than $300 in gas to get back. (Train of thought for that : AVG 500 km/ tank (really underestimating here) and about $50/tank at 3000 KM from California to Calgary = $300) Am I missing something else?

If anyone here would do all of the paper work for me for $500 or less LMK because it looks like I will be importing.

arian_ma
09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
Have you looked into Searail? They apparently will transport your car and deal with the paperwork for importation for about $600.

Wait wait, they will transport my car too? For $600?! I think something is wrong here. Is that accurate?

carter_prelude
09-07-2006, 07:05 PM
unless your 100% white i don't think getting over the border is that easy anymore lol...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142126&highlight=MR2

thats a good read :thumbsup:

though im sure i saw you post in that one somewhere. But yea, made me 2nd guess buying one from the states, i'll import one from Japan instead through someone like jspec imports or jdm source.

arian_ma
09-07-2006, 07:08 PM
RHD is not my type, neither is a 15 yr old Nissan or Toyota. I am looking at buying 00+.

xrayvsn
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I read that somewhere - Weapon_R posted this, but I believe it pertains to getting a car from Seattle. He was quoted more from California and New York. From Jaymez' import thread:

Originally posted by Weapon_R
From the Los Angeles area I was quoted $1829.30. From the New York area it was around $1500.00. Both quotes are by Searail for an average sized car.

From my STI importation thread:

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Just a little headsup for those who do not want to fly there and drive it back. Searail will ship the car from Seattle to Calgary for $600 and do all of your customs work for you. I think this is a great deal and its good if you don't have a lot of time.

andres_mt
09-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
RHD is not my type, neither is a 15 yr old Nissan or Toyota. I am looking at buying 00+.

Yeah don't get a Japanese Import. Most of them are unreliable and it's hard to find one in good condition plus it's sketchy buying a car before even seeing it or knowing that it's on a different continent to say the least lol

Eride
09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I got a quote from searail as well as Hanson and it was more in the 2500-3000 range for a midsize car from chicago to calgary.

arian_ma
09-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
I read that somewhere - Weapon_R posted this, but I believe it pertains to getting a car from Seattle. He was quoted more from California and New York. From Jaymez' import thread:

From my STI importation thread:

Anyone know the area code for a popular city in Seattle? heh

Originally posted by andres_mt

Yeah don't get a Japanese Import. Most of them are unreliable and it's hard to find one in good condition plus it's sketchy buying a car before even seeing it or knowing that it's on a different continent to say the least lol

MOST of them :thumbsup:

xrayvsn
09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Anyone know the area code for a popular city in Seattle? heh

Zip code? For Carter Subaru in Seattle it is 98133. Area code there is 206, but I think you want a zip code.

For Chaplin's in Bellevue (basically a suburb of Seattle) Zip code = 98007. Area code in Bellevue is 425.

arian_ma
09-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah I was looking for ZIP code sorry.
I am using Autotrader to get a feel for the cars so far so I need a ZIP code to find the cars in the general area.
Thanks!

Weapon_R
09-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Where is it being shipped from? $600 is only from Seattle. But from Florida its still under 1900 and they do your paperwork for you - all you do is pay the customs fees and pick up the car.

arian_ma
09-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Well I don't think I'll be searching as far as Florida, I'll stay West Coast probably. But the question is how much will it cost to get the paper work done, I want to do the road trip myself.

New2Talon
09-08-2006, 01:19 AM
You know about the 72hr export law right? You need to send the title 72 hrs in advance to the US border port you are going to be crossing at before they will let you across. I was going to drive back, but three days is a long time to kill...

Car im getting is in Illinois, have a quote for 2250 for sports car. Shipping depends on where the car is located, closer to major ports/transport arteries, the cheaper it is to ship, even if location is farther.

Hansons > searail

Crymson
09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
I think A&A customs brokers in Surrey charge a sliding scale based on the purchase price for just doing the paperwork. I believe i was quoted 250ish for a 13k USD car. You fax them your signed power of attorney, a copy of the title, and bill of sale, and i think they take it from there. I found one locally, so ended up not going that route. They also quoted me shipping, but they seemed to gouge a bit. I was quoted 2075 from Santa Barabara CA to Calgary, AB. And i beleive it was all by rail.

BikeRider
09-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I recently imported a vehicle into Canada from the US. It was painless and didn't cost much at all. The only cost i had was the GST on the purchase price. There is alot of paperwork and yes you do have to wait 72 hours but you don't have to have the vehicle there only the paperwork has to be done 72 hours in advance.
There are lots of websites that tell you exactly what you have to do. If you are willing to go get the vehicle you will save yourself alot of money and maybe have a nice little holiday too. If you want more info let me know.

arian_ma
09-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Hmm see, I know there's a bunch of stuff that's pretty obvious, I'm just scared I'm going to miss something small and have to wait at the border for hours/days!
I have to go to school as well so I can't miss too much of that either.

xrayvsn
09-08-2006, 11:47 PM
If you plan ahead, you can do it in one day, two tops if youre not going very far. Lots of threads on how to do it, it isn't hard at all. If a dumbass like me can do it, anyone can.