PDA

View Full Version : Help with an old school bike....

SilverBoost
09-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to get an old school bike on the road. 77 KAW KZ650 B1.

I've done some cosmetic work on the biek and chopped it up a bit. The bike ran when I bought it, but the carbs were screwed. I bought a set of carbs that were rebuilt by a guy in Texas who knows his shit when it comes to old japanese bikes and overall general carb work.

Anyhow, when I bought it the bike would take a while to kick over. After the new carbs went on, one kick and it would start. Unfortunately after about 3-4 miles the plugs foul so bad that the bike sill fail to run until they are changed/cleaned.

So I know the bike prob needs a valve adjustment, maybe an upgrade to electronic ignition? Who knows... but what I really need is someone who is familiar with bikes like this and can help get me rolling in the right direction or help me out in getting this bike on the street. I can do all the work, but as most will agree, doing the work is only useful when you know you're fixing what needs to be fixed. You just can't beat someone who can hear/see a biek run and diagnose the issues just by doing that. And that's what I need before I just end up replacing every single part on the biek in an effort to get it running right.

Thanks in advance. PM if this sounds like something you'd like to help me out with. :)

This is the bike as it stands now.

http://www.importeast.ca/77kaw/photos/large/nearing/stage309.jpg

http://www.importeast.ca/77kaw/photos/large/nearing/stage307.jpg

Masked Bandit
09-08-2006, 08:22 AM
I personally don't know shit about fixing bikes but I will say that when I used to ride an old UJM, TJ's on Blackfoot was the spot to be. If I'm not mistaken, the boss is the older british guy that sounds like he's been fixing bikes since he was in diapers. Give them a try.

SilverBoost
09-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I personally don't know shit about fixing bikes but I will say that when I used to ride an old UJM, TJ's on Blackfoot was the spot to be. If I'm not mistaken, the boss is the older british guy that sounds like he's been fixing bikes since he was in diapers. Give them a try.

Thanks man. But I guess I should add that TJs is where I bought it and revived it. They've been swamped all summer, and I have no way to get the bike down there right now. And to be honest, I'm trying to learn about this bike so it'd be nice to have someone give me some pointers and the ins-and-outs of this thing so I can conitinue to work on it from here. I could bring it in and those guys would have it fixed no problem. But that's not what I'm after, ya know what I mean.

And yeah, the guy's name is Mark. He's a great guy to chat with.... he's got a lot of stories. Another guy there Rick has some good rants as well. :)

craigcd
09-11-2006, 12:30 PM
If you are fouling plugs you need to adjsut your jetting. See what the dealer says the correct jetting is and you should stop fouling plugs.

Sync carbs

Valve adjustment for better starting