PDA

View Full Version : Options for apprenticeships?

CarbonCopy
09-08-2006, 11:19 AM
So, I've been on the tradesecrets site, I've been on saits site.... I can't seem to find the information I need that someone from experience might have.

What are my options for automotive apprenticeships? Can I take 2 years at sait, 2 In a shop and then take the final exam?

Or is the only way to do it by do 10 months shop, 2 months sait for 4 years?

Any help is much appreciated :)

ninjak84
09-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Nobody jumped in yet?
Well here's what I know.....

When it comes to the school portion, you can cut a significant amount of time off by "challenging" the exam. What that means, is if you think you know your stuff, you can skip the school year and just write the final exam. If you do well enough, you get credit for the entire year. If you don't though, then you'll have to spend some time in a desk. I know you can do this for the first couple years, but I don't know about the last couple...

The work portion can be shortened too. I was working for CMS this summer, and they offered to retro-act all the hours I worked so far, and count them towards my program if I wanted to start it. Since I worked for about half a year, that would have been alot of time. If you get a really good employer like I did (Contemporary Motorsports was awesome to me), then they'll help you out anyway they can.

I didn't actually start the program though, so I don't know a ton about it.... Went back to University to finish my last year instead. :) It's not something that I'm done pursuing though.

CarbonCopy
09-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm knowledgeable with cars- to an extent. I won't be able to walk in and take the test for sure, and I want all the education I can get while I can get it. I talk to my parents, they agreed to pay for any education I need (which is very generous!) so I really want to get everything I can out of sait's automotive program.

Good information though, thanks. Now I know if I feel ready, I can just take the test.

Anyone else that can shed some light onto my options?

Mike w
09-10-2006, 04:32 PM
hey man ninjak84 did say most of it, and seeing as you are kind of knowledgeable with cars but not to much i would recomend you do this. mechanics is a 4 yr corse if im not mistaken, so your going to have to work under an apprentaship for 1500 hrs before you can even register for school, you can just go challenge the test but if you do that then you havent even gone to school and youve missed alot of very importand learning and hands on info. so you should definatly go to school that is where you will learn what to look for and all that. most company will also pay for you to go to school, but require that you work 10 months before you can go back to school, so you cant really do a back to back school thing. plus having 2 months off from work is nice to. make sure you find a company willing to apprentice u b4 anything. hope this helps a little.

CarbonCopy
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
That helps. Is it an option to start out at sait and learn there?

ninspeed
09-10-2006, 08:20 PM
there is a pre-employment program though sait... but it is stupidly priced for what you get. Your way better off to find a shop and work your ass for for 10 months to prove you wanna work there and the manager can take the risk in sending you to school. I challenged my first year (Auto-Collision repair). and kinda wish i did not. I am in scholl right now for 2nd year and there where a few little projects they did that i would have enjoyed doing (i have since learned the skils the projects taught, but much harder way).

Audio_Rookie
09-11-2006, 03:04 AM
4 year apprenticeship, find a shop and start out there....like 55% of journeyman rate first year right?

My buddy took his first year at nait before he had any work experiance, but he wishes he would have worked in a shop first before taking the school portion. Besides he didnt classify as a second year until he had 1560 hours under his belt after the schooling anyways.

I am just starting my millwright apprenticeship :) cool stuff.

CarbonCopy
09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
From what I've heard, it would be best just to find a good shop, start small and put in my labour/hours rather then take a year of school THEN do it.

Added to that, I'll have money while I'm taking my apprenticeship from working, and I'll get a free pass to sait.

Thanks for the info...

Now I just need to find a shop starting in 2007.

Also, do I need all of my high school to start an apprentice at a shop? Right now I'm finishing up my last 2-3 courses.

zhulander
09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
To be a liscenced mechanic you have to meet the following criteria:
Complete the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year exams with 70% higher or more
Have work or credited 1800hrs

So if you're a 1st year apprentice, to move up to the 2nd year apprentice you need to have 1800hrs and complete the 1st year exam.

OPTION 1: SAIT AST 2 year program.
With the 2 year program you get credit of 600hrs per year. When you start you still start off as a 1st year apprentice but to move on to the 2nd year you only need 1200hrs and write the 1st year exam. Same with 2nd year apprentice to 3yr, 1200hrs and 2nd year exam...etc. It also has to be 8 months or longer between increments. Lets say you accumulate 1200hrs in 6 months, you still need to wait 2 more months before you can move up.

PROS: Lots and lots of theory, you'll be able to caculate superheat in an A/C system but you won't know how to change a tire or wiper blades. Gives you a really good overall global understanding about automotives. School shedule and summer break! Easier to find a job.

CONS: $10000 tuition, useless classes that are just there to waste your money and time, theoretically it takes you 5.5 years to get liscenced (2 years of school + 8 months complete 1st year + 8 months to complete 2nd year + 8 months to complete 3rd year + 8 months to complete 4th year), you don't really develop hand skills, most of their teachings are never used in the real world

OPTION 2: Registered Apprenticeship Program
This will take you 4 years to get liscenced. You work for 10months and go to school for 2 months each year. Those 2 months you go to school you get 300 hr credit. So 10 months ~ 1500hrs + 300hrs (2 months of school) and 70% or higher on the exam and you move on to the next level.

PROS: Make money and learn as you work, good companies will pay for your school or pay you as you go to school, develop hand skills quicker as you're doing it everyday, learn lots of tips and tricks from liscenced mechanics

CONS: You'll know how to do things but probably won't understand why and the reasoning behind it. Work schedule, no summer break =(. It's probably pretty hard to get hired with no real documented experience.

In my personal opinion because I took AST program and know what it's like, the Apprenticeship program looks much more attractive because you make money as you're learning. I've forgotten most things I've learned from SAIT and rarely do anything they taught me. All shops are production based so if I was to do the things SAIT teaches you, it would take way too much time. Lots of real world stuff SAIT doesn't teach you.

BTW: I'm pretty sure you need to complete 1800hrs before you can write the exam. Challenging it would be stupid anyways because you still need 1800hrs to advance so you might as well work and learn in those 1800hrs because those exams aren't cheap at $150 / year

CarbonCopy
09-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Thankyou!!!

It's clear to me which option I want. I wanna learn hands-on, less theroy, more cool tips and tricks.

The money, the free education, ect would be great because they money my parents wouldnt have to give me for sait might be able to go to a downpayment on a house.

I'd much rather do my apprenticeship at a dealership or newer shop. Some older shops don't have new tools, computer analysis resourses and alot of skills necessary to work on newer cars.

So the question is.. How do I find a good place to start my apprenticeship?

riceeater
09-15-2006, 01:05 AM
a buddy of mine started the 2 months in class, 10 months on the job and imo it's a freakin waste of time... yeah he got a job right away at blaskin and lane but he quit and now he's looking for somewhere else;

to be blunt, i've learned more from screwing around with my own cars than he had after half a year of school and work experience... he was just outright clueless on most things, and it drove me crazy when he helped me work on a buddy's car and kept fuckin shit up left right and center...

the way i see it, try to get as much hands on experience as you can... dont be picky, take it however it comes and thank yourself later; having a good idea of how things work before starting the program will help you understand and learn stuff a lot easier, coz you're not wasting time trying to understand the basic concepts, you already know them.. the piece of paper they give you onyl gets you a job... once you're at that job, your actual skill and dedication is hwat's gonna keep you there and help you move ahead

CarbonCopy
09-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Yeah. I'm not an idiot with cars, I've done alot of work on both a thunderbird and a civic. I've done electronics, oil changes, axle, brakes, ect. Alot of basic stuff.

The only thing I haven't touched on is engine internals.

Where do I start to find an apprenticeship.

Audio_Rookie
09-15-2006, 09:32 PM
you make a resume and go to a place that has automotive technicians...like a dealership.

Tell em you want to apprentice as an automotive technician.....its like finding a real job....ust make a resume and go get the job.

Ask if they will pay for school fees and stuff.

Eric G.

just go out and get it...hit the pavement.

CarbonCopy
09-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I see. So, am I able to do different parts at differnt shops? I plan to move to BC in 2-3 years, and I was wondering if I could take 2 years here, 2 years at another shop and BCIT?