PDA

View Full Version : Need a car for winter. Opinions on these...

Gripenfelter
09-08-2006, 01:00 PM
92+ Eagle Talon Tsi

Dodge Stealth TT AWD

Subaru Legacy GT (not new)

Jeep YJ

Subaru SVX

adam c
09-08-2006, 01:22 PM
i would go with something thats AWD

xrayvsn
09-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by adam c
i would go with something thats AWD

Did you even read his list? They are ALL AWD.

Of those, the Subaru LGT would probably have the nicest interior and cost the most since they are a lot newer than theo thers. The rest of the list would be a lot older and potentially cost more to run.

adam c
09-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

A2VR6
09-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Out of the list you have there I would also pick the Subaru Legacy GT... just for the fact that I would believe that it would cost alot less to maintain the LGT than the other cars.

Gripenfelter
09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
They did make a mid 90s Legacy GT I believe. Saw a few in the trader.

How problematic are Stealths and how are they in winter?

tentacles
09-08-2006, 02:11 PM
You're comparing a station wagon to a 2 door sport coupe?

Gripenfelter
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
You're comparing a station wagon to a 2 door sport coupe?

You see a station wagon on my list???

tentacles
09-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh, sedan version of the legacy then. Never mind. :nut:

All I ever seem to see are legacy station wagons, so in my head legacy == wagon. Sorry.

Gripenfelter
09-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm torn between driving a reliable ugly Subaru and a sexy Stealth with questionable reliability.

Crymson
09-08-2006, 04:30 PM
There is a reason it's called a winter beater -- sexy stealth ain't gonig to be too sexy after a few years of winter driving.

ex1z7
09-08-2006, 07:07 PM
SVX's are wicked looking, if you can find one .. I'd get that.. Use it /just/ in the winter and sell it after a few years for the same money you bought it for.

Mmmm SVX.

DSMer4Life
09-08-2006, 10:46 PM
The 92+ Talon/Laser/Eclipse is defintely a great winter car, with winter tires of course. But cabin space is tight (if I remember correctly, you are a family man ;) ) and yes, it's an older vehicle that needs maintenance. But you didn't mention "new" for the other vehicles, and they'll need maintenance too. I'd put the SVX in the same category for space. Maybe a little bigger, but still a two-door.

The Stealth is roomier, but weighs a ton and drinks gas. I don't know how you'll feel about servicing a transverse mounted twin turbo V6 either. But they don't have big mechanical issues.

Jeeps are nice, if that's your thing.

I think a Legacy GT (preferrably turbo) would be an all around good winter vehicle. We almost bought one for my dad. You don't hear much about mechanical problems with them.

I'm on my third Talon and love it. I think the maintenance is fair for it's age and can do quite a bit of it myself. I'd pick between a Talon/Laser/Eclipse and the Legacy GT.

Nice Camaro btw!

mac_82
09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
S-U-B-A-R-U :thumbsup:

A2VR6
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by DSMer4Life
The 92+ Talon/Laser/Eclipse is defintely a great winter car, with winter tires of course. But cabin space is tight (if I remember correctly, you are a family man ;) ) and yes, it's an older vehicle that needs maintenance. But you didn't mention "new" for the other vehicles, and they'll need maintenance too. I'd put the SVX in the same category for space. Maybe a little bigger, but still a two-door.

The Stealth is roomier, but weighs a ton and drinks gas. I don't know how you'll feel about servicing a transverse mounted twin turbo V6 either. But they don't have big mechanical issues.

Jeeps are nice, if that's your thing.

I think a Legacy GT (preferrably turbo) would be an all around good winter vehicle. We almost bought one for my dad. You don't hear much about mechanical problems with them.

I'm on my third Talon and love it. I think the maintenance is fair for it's age and can do quite a bit of it myself. I'd pick between a Talon/Laser/Eclipse and the Legacy GT.

Nice Camaro btw!

BTW, I dont believe the Legacy GT hes talking about ever came with a turbo. Just the 2.5L 4 cylinder.

CryoCarnage
09-10-2006, 03:17 AM
DSM is ftw. cept look at 90-92 gsx's... they dotn get the crank a walkin ;)

ashee
09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Legacy:thumbsup:

tsi_neal
09-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by DSMer4Life

not sure when the last time you were in a stealth, but they certainly arent roomier than a DSM (1g anyways) the rear room is probably a little better than 1/2 of a dsm and the front room is about on par but feels more confined the way the dash sits. trunk space is also on par.

Maintenence on a stealth is also costs more than it should.

Personally id look at the DSM or the legacy GT, probably leaning towards the subie

gofastmerc
09-10-2006, 09:58 AM
On that list, get the Subaru, Grip.

We had one, a 94 turbo legacy four door, it was great in the snow. Crazy great. We has some good winter Yokos on it, and in the snow, not ice, you do full throttle leaves and it wouldn't spin. Fun car.

FivE.SeveN
09-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Not the Stealth! Even though it's AWD, TT + wide wheels = bad on snow. Although it barely snowed at all last year, running boosted ~300hp means you'll break traction fairly easily with a bit of gas on snow. Hell I slip when I'm coming out of a carwash till my tires dry off. Couldn't imagine doing it on snow.

Stealths/3000GTs are badass, but preferably on soild pavement. Plus fuel $$ would def. be something to consider.

I'd hit the legacy y0.

xrayvsn
09-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I think the 91 - 94 Legacy had a turbo 2.2L. Probably one of the stronger blocks that Subaru made. After '94 they went to the 2.5L non-turbo and a 3.0 H6 until the current generation with the 2.5L turbo. Actually, some of those motors may have just been available for the Outback, I'm not sure.

Stealths are sexy, but for a winter "beater" I think the Legacy is the way to go.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Legacy FTW....
Great winter car... Reliable, quick (enough). AWD...

bspot
09-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

Maintenence on a stealth is also costs more than it should.

Personally id look at the DSM or the legacy GT, probably leaning towards the subie

Stealth's are DSM's so which one do you mean? ;)

CLiVE
09-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
Not the Stealth! Even though it's AWD, TT + wide wheels = bad on snow. Although it barely snowed at all last year, running boosted ~300hp means you'll break traction fairly easily with a bit of gas on snow. Hell I slip when I'm coming out of a carwash till my tires dry off. Couldn't imagine doing it on snow.

Stealths/3000GTs are badass, but preferably on soild pavement. Plus fuel $$ would def. be something to consider.

I'd hit the legacy y0.
My stealth was great in winter. Throw on some aggressive winter tires, (17" MZ-01's) and it was the best car I've had in winter.

Stealth's are DSM's so which one do you mean?

Technically not DSM's....
DSM only refers to vehicles produced at the Normal, Illinois plant. IE: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser.

fast95pony
09-15-2006, 01:26 AM
I would go for the cheapest ,reliable car ( the Suby ?? ) with a good set of winter tires.

With all the salt/gravel/pot holes/bad drivers out there, I would worry about driving a nice car in winter.

Mitsu3000gt
09-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Is it a winter car only? If so, buying a TT stealth would be a total waste of power. Also, even if you could find a 1999 3000GT VR4 (newest you can get), it's still 8 years old. I would stick to something newer. I had a 3000GT, and the interiors are identical to that of a stealth and there is no room in the back seats, the driver and passenger seats touch the front of the back seats.

The legacy GT is awesome, and if you just want a winter car, the regular legacy would be just fine.

I think Jeep's are absolute crap, they are built like a piece of garbage, have bare metal showing everywhere inside, ride crappy and some of them only have cloth for doors/roof. They are also 4WD I believe, not AWD.

My brother has a Subaru SVX, its a great car and we've had no problems, but again you getting into an older car, and extremely rare to find a good one these days.

I have no experience with the 92 talon's but your getting into a car that's 15 years old.

Why not an Audi? Supposedly the best AWD ever and if you've seen the commercials, they can drive up a ski jump ramp :D