PDA

View Full Version : plugging in cars

Lilac Wine
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
This will be my first winter living in Lethbridge. I have lived in BC where it has been cold, and never had a problem starting my car even when I had a 1991 cavalier.
Now I have a 1997 cavalier. Lots of people here seem to plug in there cars. My sister inquired at canadian tire about the cost of getting the part put in though - $400 with the labor and everything!!!!!!
How many people here plug in there cars??

2.2vtec
09-08-2006, 03:36 PM
There was a few times I couldnt start my 1995 prelude up there. The actual temperature isnt that cold but with the wind it makes it pretty bad...

Akagi Redsuns
09-08-2006, 03:46 PM
If my car is outside, it gets plugged in if the temps dip below -20C. My weakass battery has a hard time starting the car when it's below -20C for some reason. Other cars I had no issues at all, even at -30C, but they sure didn't sound good for the 1st couple of minutes.

Rockski
09-08-2006, 03:48 PM
i didnt plug my car in once last winter... but my battery has the motha fuckin cold crankin amps to a Tee at work though lots of people plug em in... start work at 5 pm and when you want your car to start at 3 AM its a good idea to plug it in

lint
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
There was a few times I couldnt start my 1995 prelude up there. The actual temperature isnt that cold but with the wind it makes it pretty bad...

Windchill doesn't have an effect on objects like cars. -30 with a windchill of -40 still feels like -30 to a car. exposed flesh is another matter.

Crymson
09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by lint

Windchill doesn't have an effect on objects like cars. -30 with a windchill of -40 still feels like -30 to a car. exposed flesh is another matter.

Yup. Temperature is to windchill, kind of like what speed is to acceleration, in wind, a car may get to -30 FASTER than with no wind, but it's not going colder than -30.

Wind chill always says "feels like" because you're body doesn't sense absolute temperature, it senses the chance in temperatures hence "It's nice once your in" or "it's not so bad after you've been in it a while" for hottubs and lake swimming. In a strong wind, heat is swept away from your skin much quicker, thus feeling much colder -- like grabbing metal only a few degrees warmer or cooler than you -- it feels bloody cold or hot, because it's capable of tranfering much more heat into or out of your hand.

Weapon_R
09-08-2006, 04:33 PM
You can get a magnetic block heater that just sticks to your block and can be plugged in. Cost is about $70

djayz
09-08-2006, 04:34 PM
get a block heater its not good to start your car with frozen oil that doesnt flow

a block heater will keep the oil at a nice temperature...not only will it give your car an easier start it will get the oil flowing right away rather than the engine having to warm the oil up and then flow.

i plug my car in even when its -10 even if its for an hour before i head out.

derek123
09-08-2006, 04:34 PM
your lost time + the cost of a boost, or tow + a new battery a couple times when it's cold.

I think 400 is ok if you cant do it yourself.

personally I wouldnt let crappy tire touch my car, but whatever.

A block heater is a good start, take a look at battery warmers, and remote starters as well.

good luck

Crymson
09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I used to live in an apartment in Saskatoon (cold winters! holy crap), and luckily the breaker for the outside plug was in our apartment -- unfortunately, that also meant we paid the power for our plug in -- so I would plug my car in whenever I got home, but keep the breaker off and before my shower in the morning, or 20 minutes before i'd go out in the evening, i'd just flip the breaker. Kept the bills down and the car was always warm when i needed it.

HHURICANE1
09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
My personal, favorites are the lower rad hose heaters. They heat the block and rad are way easy to install. Fairly cheap to buy as well, about $40. You just have to know the ID of your hose.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
they have inline heaters that warm and circulate your coolant, the install would be easy enough for you to do yourself

ga16i
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Rockski
i didnt plug my car in once last winter... but my battery has the motha fuckin cold crankin amps to a Tee at work though lots of people plug em in... start work at 5 pm and when you want your car to start at 3 AM its a good idea to plug it in

Please excuse my ignorance, but does plugging in my car charge my battery too? I thought it was just to run the block heater so that the oil is more fluid. :dunno:
I run optima red top and 5w30 mobil 1, so I haven't had the need to plug in my car. Would be nice if plugging in my car charges the battery too.

Crymson
09-08-2006, 04:45 PM
No, but freezing your battery sure as hell "de-charges" it.

lint
09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

Please excuse my ignorance, but does plugging in my car charge my battery too? I thought it was just to run the block heater so that the oil is more fluid. :dunno:
I run optima red top and 5w30 mobil 1, so I haven't had the need to plug in my car. Would be nice if plugging in my car charges the battery too.

It doesn't charge the battery, but thinner oil in the engine means it will be easier to crank, and when it's easier to crank, your battery doesn't have to work as hard. Also, battery performance goes down in cold temp as well. So thinner oil helps make it easier on your battery too.

Tik-Tok
09-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Okay, the bottom line is, YOU NEED A BLOCK HEATER IN ALBERTA. Period. End of story.

No matter how good of oil you have, it'll still be harmful to your engine to be starting it in -35* with no way of heating that oil up before hand.

$400 sounds like an aweful lot, I'd look around for a better deal, or as suggested, get one of those magnetic ones that you put on the bottom of your oil pan.

frostyda9
09-08-2006, 06:26 PM
$400 is ridiculous IMO. Robbery, even.

CarbonCopy
09-08-2006, 08:03 PM
400 dollars for that job is ridiculous, regardless of the model of car.

Options stated that are very good

- Stick-on heater, doesn't do the BEST job, but gets it done.
- Coolant heater/circulator is certianly the best, and it takes no time to install. If you've ever changed your coolant and used a screwdriver it will be a sinch.

I've never had problems. Strong starter, orbital battery, 20 minute warmup on cold days because I have window fogging issues, and I like a warm car :)

barbarian
09-08-2006, 08:04 PM
The part is around $60, and you can install it yourself if you don't mine dumping all the coolant.

Don't let Canadian tire near it, go ANYWHERE else. I'd bet that they also priced in a "power flush", pressure test + new fluid, when all you need is new fluid.

Lilac Wine
09-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm a girl... don' t know a thing about cars.

dave5473
09-08-2006, 10:02 PM
i would make sure you dont already have a block heater installed and the cord is just hidden away in the engine compartment. seems weird that there wouldnt be one that comes with the car

marko polo
09-08-2006, 10:21 PM
the thought of winter and starting a cold car sends shivers down my spine. definately not looking forward for winter till i get to the mountains that is

88CRXGUY
09-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I moved from BC 3 and a half years ago and it gets fuken cold here. Get a blockheater(I paied around 100 bucks with install(not from a dealer)), it will save you alot of problems and headaches down the road. Last winter was warm and we didn't really need it(winter tires aswell), but just to be safe get one.

For some reason some cars that go into BC they don't seem to get blockheaters, I think that has something to do with the lowermainland(all the damn rain). Check to make sure that you do have a blockheater, don't just assume actully check. If your not 100 percent sure what to look for take it to a repitable mechanic that can check it for you.

Also too get them to check the cold cranking amps on your battery. You want to make sure that you are going to have a battery that is going to stand up to the Alberta tempatures.

Another word of advice and I am sure that alot of members on the board will agree, don't take your car to Canadian tire. You could take it to a dealer if you feel better about it, but they are more expensive. $400 bucks for an install of a blockheater seems like alot(Honda charged me $240 with install).

I hope this helps....

whiskas
09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Plug the car in at least an hour before you go out.

When you start your car wait till your RPMs reach normal idle, if it's hovering above your ECU is still running under cold start mode.

Some cars have cooling ducts running from the air dam to the battery box, stuff it with newspaper for the winter.

Setting your air to recirculate will heat your engine up quicker.

88CRXGUY
09-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Remember guys she doesn't know very much about cars...

BlackArcher101
09-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Going to live in Lethbridge you say? Block heater is necessary, but seldom required throughout the winter. I have a 4.3L engine that is a bitch to get started, but with the mild winters in Lethbridge, I only needed to plug it in maybe a total of 8 days. Only needed when there is a cold snap and temps dip to near -30. Don't be one of those people that plug it in when it's -15 or colder and also leave it on all night.

With a smaller engine, you MAY be able to get away with a lighter weight oil, and a very strong battery. But even that won't work at one point.

I recommend getting the block heater, but not at $400. It's an easy component to install. All they have to do is remove a frost plug and in it's place, install the heater and cord. Should be a max of 1 hour labor I'd think. $40 for the part maybe? $150 sounds reasonable.

If you decide not to install it, then be prepared to taxi or bus it the 2 days a year your car won't start.

FiveFreshFish
09-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by lint

Originally posted by Crymson

Yup. Temperature is to windchill, kind of like what speed is to acceleration, in wind, a car may get to -30 FASTER than with no wind, but it's not going colder than -30.

Wind chill always says "feels like" because you're body doesn't sense absolute temperature, it senses the chance in temperatures hence "It's nice once your in" or "it's not so bad after you've been in it a while" for hottubs and lake swimming. In a strong wind, heat is swept away from your skin much quicker, thus feeling much colder -- like grabbing metal only a few degrees warmer or cooler than you -- it feels bloody cold or hot, because it's capable of tranfering much more heat into or out of your hand.

Windchill DOES affect a car when it's running because it is a heat radiator like the human body. A car experiences an accelerated RATE OF COOLING under high windchill conditions, meaning your car does not heat up as quickly or your heater doesn't get as hot as it normally does.

FYI windchill happens at any temperature, not just when it's cold. Your radiator benefits from windchill in the summer where your car's cooling system performs better when you're driving than when you're stuck in traffic. In the latter case, you might hear the electric radiator fan kick in, trying to draw wind through the rad.

D. Dub
09-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Get a Temro or Zerostart inline coolant heater from Canadian Tire or an auto supply place and then get a good mechanic--or a friend who's knowledgable to put it in. It's maybe an hour or two of labour depending on the car.

Much better than a block heater--in fact with a coolant heater you start the car and you have instant heat from your heater!!!!!!!

Don't let crappy tire touch your car!!!!!

Zero102
09-10-2006, 12:04 AM
I had a lower radiator hose heater from Pyroil in my 86 944. One winter the thermostat inside of the heater failed and it ended up torching my car. Not cool. IMO they are a hack at best, and should not be used on cars. The heating density of the heater elements in them are simply too high to be anywhere near rubber hoses.

In my golf I have a Phillips/Temro Zerostart heater. That thing is the best money I have ever spent. Even when it's -40*C my car starts perfectly (cool because it's a diesel ;) ), and I have nearly instant heat. The cost for the heater was roughly $75, but I installed it myself.
That said, there aren't a lot of cars that you can install one of these heaters on. It requires a relatively special configuration of the coolant system.

If a simply frost plug style block heater is available for your engine I would reccomend it as a bare minimum. Cost should be ~$40 for the heater and ~1 hour of labor to install. Add in coolant and variations in shop rates and expect ~$200 for a block heater installed.

As for when to plug it in, and how long to leave it plugged in for.... that is up to you. My rule of thumb is as follows:
-10*C - 1 hour
-20*C - 2 hours
-30*C - 3 hours
-40*C - when I get home from work the day before
I am definately on the anal side about cold starts.

Another good reccomendation for winter starting is to run a synthetic oil. People here and elsewhere will lecture you about how synthetic oil will make your car leak, etc. These people need to get into the 21st century. Synthetic oil does not make your car leak or burn oil. If it leaks or burns oil, then it was doing it before. Synthetic oils flow MUCH better than dino (conventional) oils when cold, and can make for much easier cranking.