PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Row SUV - Great MPG?

bevane
09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I live in Utah, have 4 kids, see a lot of snow on the roads in the winter, and am offroad a lot in the summer. We are trip fanatics. Just about every weekend we pack up our Durango and head to the mountains, the lake, backcountry, etc.

We love the Durango as we picked it up cheap (used), it's ran great, and has everything we want (space, 4x4, towing power), except good gas mileage (16 when we are lucky on the highway).

I've been looking for awhile at SUVs and can't seem to find a good combination of 3rd row and great mpg (25-30 on highway) for a good price. It seems like all the ones that fit the bill are brand new and 25,000 plus. I realize I may be asking too much, but we got our 2000 Durango 3 years ago with 30,0000 miles for $14,000 and I'd really like to only pay about 20,000 (I don't care how old, as long as it doesn't have more than 60,000 miles. Here's the requirements:

- 7 passengers (3rd row)
- 4WD or AWD (needs to move in snow and soft sand)
- 25+ MPG (We drive a lot of highway miles)
- $20K Max
- 2000 or newer
- Less than 60K miles
- Light towing ability (I have small trailer for motorcycles)
- Ideally something that has a decent consumer report record (but heck, the Durango didn't and we haven't had a single problem)
- truck based or car based crossover (I don't care)

I realize this list may be stringent, but I'm driving around in a 2000 Durango valued at about $9,000 with everything on this list but gas mileage (14ish mpg) and just hit 80K miles. I've got to believe there is something out there.

Here's some ones I've looked at, but nothing has matched yet:

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 - 30 mpg and 3rd row (cost is about $28K)
- 2007 Mazda CX-9 - 25+mpg and 3rd row (doesn't come out till '07)
- Honda Pilot - 24mpg? and 3rd row (still a bit pricey, even for the older models)
- Volvo XC90 - 25mpg? and 3rd row (actual users report 21mpg)
- Ford Freestyle - unknown mpg and 3rd row (too pricey?)
- Ford Escape - only newer models have 3rd row?
- Acura MDX - too pricey?
- Kia Sorento - no third row?
- Hyundai Santa Fe - not sure about mpg or third row (at 20k)
- Subaru B9 Tribeca - too new and pricey
- Subaru Forester - no third row?

Anyway, what am I missing? Maybe a domestic manufacturers suv? Is there any options that fit my list, or do I just need to keep eating the horrible gas mileage on my Durango?

Thanks,

Bevan

dino_martini
09-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by bevane
- 2006 Toyota Rav4 - 30 mpg and 3rd row (cost is about $28K)
- 2007 Mazda CX-9 - 25+mpg and 3rd row (doesn't come out till '07)
- Honda Pilot - 24mpg? and 3rd row (still a bit pricey, even for the older models)
- Volvo XC90 - 25mpg? and 3rd row (actual users report 21mpg)
- Ford Freestyle - unknown mpg and 3rd row (too pricey?)
- Ford Escape - only newer models have 3rd row?
- Acura MDX - too pricey?
- Kia Sorento - no third row?
- Hyundai Santa Fe - not sure about mpg or third row (at 20k)
- Subaru B9 Tribeca - too new and pricey
- Subaru Forester - no third row?

Anyway, what am I missing? Maybe a domestic manufacturers suv? Is there any options that fit my list, or do I just need to keep eating the horrible gas mileage on my Durango?

Thanks,

Bevan

If your looking at a 3rd row domestic SUV you may aswell keep the Durango. The domestic SUV's are all sitting around 16/20 mpg city/highway. If you want a third row seat why dont you just cut to the chase and buy a van? Whats the weight on the trailer? A van may be able to tow your trailer, plus you get way more room. I know a van does not have the "cool" factor as an SUV but it gets the job done. They get around 25mpg highway + aswell. I would personally look into the Honda Odessey, Toyota Sienna, Nissan Quest, Hyundai Entourage.

Good luck!

Canmorite
09-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Not very man vans have AWD/4WD.

Thought about a Cherokee? I don't know the the MPG on that though...

carter_prelude
09-23-2006, 04:09 PM
^ no 3rd seat

bevane
09-25-2006, 07:11 PM
I've been looking closer at the Ford Freestyle. I can get an 05' with around 20,000 miles for less than 20,000.

- AWD
- 3 rows of seats (more room than any other car based SUV i've looked at)
- 26 mpg (this is what I've heard, can anyone confirm?)

Bevan
P.S. I would consider a van if it came with AWD. I simply have to have it with the sand and snow that we drive on.

MrPid
09-25-2006, 07:49 PM
From what I've heard the freestyle has a volvo heritage. My friend is very happy with his, but I've also heard Ford is considering dropping it from the lineup...