PDA

View Full Version : Type S, Type R

tegdream
04-23-2003, 08:53 PM
i used to have 2 12 inch type S subs with 100RMS into each.....eventually i disconnect one sub and i really liked how it ounded wiht just one..so i decided i would get one 12 type R and give it 150-200rms for now...i think this would be better overall sounds considering what i had before where the 2 subs were overpowering...what yall think?

That.Guy.S30
04-23-2003, 09:41 PM
the type r will hit harder. i think 1 sub is enuff. 2 is abit too much. also depends what kind of music. 12's are good for fat bass. i believe the type s is for sound quality and the type r's are for spl.

Weapon_R
04-23-2003, 09:45 PM
A Type R will blow the 2 type S's away...

Type R's are all about SPL.

Mckenzie
04-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Good choice with alpine. I owned a type s and I loved it.

My type R 10" hits nice and hard.....I think over anything else the Alpine products are all made for Sound Quality. Thats why my whole system is type R and v12's. ;) However, if you can, give it more than 200RMS. They can handle up to 500 RMS. I have the 300M Digital v12 for sale if you want.... 336 RMS..... all original boxes and manuals.....Amazing Amp....3 months old.... $450 OBO.

tegdream
04-23-2003, 10:19 PM
so lets say one type R w/ 150rms

Vs.

2 type S w/ 100rms each

which will hit harder overall..sound cleaner overall?

That.Guy.S30
04-23-2003, 10:37 PM
tyep r will hit harder in every way.
type s will soudn clearer.. less bass
and dont use alpine amps they are overrated in the meanin that the amps dont push as much as they are advertised.

SI-vic
04-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by tegdream
so lets say one type R w/ 150rms

Vs.

2 type S w/ 100rms each

which will hit harder overall..sound cleaner overall?

depends on the amp
if you're gonna use a really good amp, then I would think that the Type S will be louder just because its 200W of rms hitting (this is what I think but I'm not 100% on this)....
seriously though, just get the 1 Type R with a good amp, but remember to get GOOD wiring!

Mckenzie
04-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Actually all Alpine gear is under-rated..... my MRD 300 claims only 300 W RMS and the Birth Sheet says 335 W RMS. Same thing with my Alpine MRD F340 4 Channel. It claims only 30 W RMS at 14.4 into 4ohms, but again the Birth Sheet says 62 W RMS into 4 ohms.

But yeah the one Alpine Type R will sound better for sure....However with 150 RMS, you will be severly under-powering the sub, and you will have a greater chance of damaging it because it will clip easier. These are SERIOUSLY power hungry subs and you will not be getting anywhere near full potential with just 150 RMS. If that is all you have, go with ONE Type S in a custom box. It will sound tighter and will be more efficient.

hkcivic2k2
04-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Actually all Alpine gear is under-rated..... my MRD 300 claims only 300 W RMS and the Birth Sheet says 335 W RMS. Same thing with my Alpine MRD F340 4 Channel. It claims only 30 W RMS at 14.4 into 4ohms, but again the Birth Sheet says 62 W RMS into 4 ohms.

But yeah the one Alpine Type R will sound better for sure....However with 150 RMS, you will be severly under-powering the sub, and you will have a greater chance of damaging it because it will clip easier. These are SERIOUSLY power hungry subs and you will not be getting anywhere near full potential with just 150 RMS. If that is all you have, go with ONE Type S in a custom box. It will sound tighter and will be more efficient.

I had a MRV 100M before.. and the actual rating was 10watts higher then the listed

That.Guy.S30
04-24-2003, 09:31 PM
well what mckenzie said was true. an alpine rep told me that thier power listing is always abit lower then it really is.

02bump'nWRX
04-25-2003, 10:28 PM
the ol' mrv 100 actually put out decent power for being so small. They are a good little amp. I personally don't like alpine except for the headunits but they make ok stuff. Oh and i think the type r would sound better but there is something to be said about having double the cone are with 2 types so i'm not sure which would be louder.

BigYellowMonkey
04-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Run a single 12" Type R, or a pair of 10" Type R's. The 10" Type R's will give you the best sound quality by far, while at the same time kicking like a motherfucker. And the 12"'s have damn good quality too, as well as pounding like a bigger motherfucker.
If I were you, I would run a single 10" Type R, and later add a second if you need it. They can handle 300W RMS, 1000 Peak. If you run em between 200 and 400 watts you will get the best sound and kick out of them. For subs that kick like this, though, I would recommend a remote bass knob, because they will easily overpower even the best component speakers in some songs. Same power handling as the 12"s as far as I know.
Just my 2 cents.

-Biggie!

That.Guy.S30
04-30-2003, 08:46 PM
but 10 inches is for a different type of music. like rock or somethin. 12 inches are for phat bass which is for mots trance/r&b/rap. which a high percentage of ppl listen to.

ChronicDex
05-03-2003, 10:47 AM
not to hate on alpine, but has neone else ever heard of some other companies??????? like lightning audio or nething . Calgary is all either JL or Ampine they are other companies out there that do make good shit....

ninspeed
05-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ChronicDex
not to hate on alpine, but has neone else ever heard of some other companies??????? like lightning audio or nething . Calgary is all either JL or Ampine they are other companies out there that do make good shit....

Are you asking a question or stating something?

Anyways, yes there are many companys that sell in calgary, actually all of them do, you just gotta know where to go.

I can start listing, but its a long list.

ConVict
05-03-2003, 12:27 PM
I had two Type R 12's... Damn it made me gizz my pants. Would hit so hard my rear view mirrors would shift so much I couldnt see cars anymore. Made everything start to rattle after a month or so. you couldnt breathe, and your hair hurt after :thumbsup:
Oh I miss those subs.

ChronicDex
05-07-2003, 10:44 PM
surfer tech you got the wrong way around i think... if i remember correctly 10's are for hip/hop, rap, r&b cause they gaster the 12's are for liek the rock and metal shit.... I could be wrong though.

Mckenzie
05-08-2003, 08:38 AM
surfer tech you got the wrong way around i think... if i remember correctly 10's are for hip/hop, rap, r&b cause they gaster the 12's are for liek the rock and metal shit.... I could be wrong though.

Traditionaly rock music has faster bass lines which are quite punchy, and a smaller sub is needed to keep the music sounding tight. That is why 10s are great for rock.

For Hip Hop/Rap etc, the larger surface area of the cone enables it to move more air, and create deeper bass notes. This kind of music is known for lower notes, and more sustained bass lines. If you want boom, go with a 12.

I have never liked 12s for listeneing to rock. I have always found them to be sloppy. And I have always found that a 10 hits the bass lines which more accuracy and defenition for rock. That is why I have always sold my 12s to get 10s.

calarina
05-08-2003, 01:43 PM

The reason we're just mentioning Alpine, is because the author of this thread asked a question about an Alpine product.

I have 2 10" Alpine Type R's driven by a 1000W 2-channel Clarion amplifier. I don't have the gain turned up all the way, and I don't have the seperate bass control on my dash, but they still pound damn hard. Unfortunately, since I don't have a large enough gauge of power wire, I melt fuses too (hehehe), but they're excellent. I'm very happy with them, and all of my other Alpine components. :)

Another factor in having a good sounding system, is what type of box you use, how big it is, and where it's positioned in your car. The larger the box, the more resonance you'll get, and the more your car will shake to pieces. The smaller the box, the less resonance you'll get, but it'll be cleaner. What kind of box, whether it be ported, sealed, or a custom enclosure, also has a large factor on how your subs will sound.

At least, that's my understanding of it. If I'm wrong, someone correct me please, so I can learn too. ;)

That.Guy.S30
05-08-2003, 11:39 PM
no chronicdex i believe i am right. i used to work for a stereo company and trust me.. you have it the otehr way around. the 10's provide the tighter bass for rock music. and the 12's provide the deeper bass for hip hop music.

Moonracer
05-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by calarina

The reason we're just mentioning Alpine, is because the author of this thread asked a question about an Alpine product.

I have 2 10" Alpine Type R's driven by a 1000W 2-channel Clarion amplifier. I don't have the gain turned up all the way, and I don't have the seperate bass control on my dash, but they still pound damn hard. Unfortunately, since I don't have a large enough gauge of power wire, I melt fuses too (hehehe), but they're excellent. I'm very happy with them, and all of my other Alpine components. :)

Another factor in having a good sounding system, is what type of box you use, how big it is, and where it's positioned in your car. The larger the box, the more resonance you'll get, and the more your car will shake to pieces. The smaller the box, the less resonance you'll get, but it'll be cleaner. What kind of box, whether it be ported, sealed, or a custom enclosure, also has a large factor on how your subs will sound.

At least, that's my understanding of it. If I'm wrong, someone correct me please, so I can learn too. ;)

The resonance frequency is the frequency in which a driver produces with the most efficiency therefore it will sound slightly louder than other frequencies. So the bigger the enclosure the lower the resonance frequency will be with a given woofer. With a lower res. you will usually get a nicer low end and don't forget you will have yet another res. freq. within the trunk/car in itself. Generally the bigger you go with the driver the lower you get so bigger is better for hip hop but a ten can be quite sufficient, that's what I have and it works good for me. :D

dogstar
05-21-2003, 10:21 AM
simple formula

more subs = more cone area = more air moving = more bass...

alpine subs are good, id probably go with an MRD-M300 for amp if you wanna stay alpine, otherwise, try looking at something else.

you can get a concept 500/1 for the same money as an alpine, and concept is good shit.
a jl 250/1 goes for similar money to the alpine, most will agree its probably better.

lightning is crap, thats why no one uses it.... just read reviews of the stuff, itll prove my point.

ramminghard
05-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dogstar
simple formula

more subs = more cone area = more air moving = more bass...

Not completly true. There is also the element of how much a sub will move. More cone area doesn't mean that there is more air moving. If you have a sub running that only flexes about 2" and you are comparing it to one that moves 4", the 4" one should be twice as loud due tho the fact that it is moving more air. More subs doesn't mean that it will be louder all the time.

Mckenzie
05-21-2003, 01:29 PM
If you want some very technical answers, go here:

www.caraudioforum.com

www.carsound.com

These guys REALLY know their stuff and will provide very indepth answers on every car audio related topic.

tctdmx
05-21-2003, 05:00 PM
well, here is my 2 cents about alpine's type r and s seires subs

type s's is designed with cleaner bass, believe it our not, it will give you a punchy bass which is ideal for lets say, pop , rock and most of all everyday music... which is really similar to the JL W0 series....

the type R's is alpines spl product, which hits lower notes, however distorts more when it comes to handling punchy beats and clean bass... however if you like low bass such as rap, trance... then the type R's are really ideal, however i will recommend 300rms into a 12" type R especially if you are connecting it running 2 ohms off the dual voice coil set up....

the Type R's distortion problem can be solved a little bit by porting your box and given a bigger cubical box, however again it really depends on the music to listen to, and also your amp quality, the cross over settings etc.....

hey tegdream, werent you inquirng about my amp earlier on ? that amp could have been perfect if you were running that Type R.

however, a rule on thumb is simple, if you like clean punchy and you like pop and rock music, going with a type s and staying with a 10" ( not 12) could be actually better for you...
but if you are all about low bass with lots of sound pressure level, going a 12 inch or even bigger Type R, is what you will get out of it....

however i'd then recommend a JL 12w3v2 .... better sound handling ... cleaner and less distortion....

anyways... these are just my knowledge that i learned for years of experiences ^_^

dogstar
05-21-2003, 07:53 PM
i didnt say my formula was the only way to think about it, i did say that it was a simple one, and generally, two similar subs like the type S and type R will have a similar xmax... in fact i believe its almost identical, although its been a long time since i looked at a spec sheet for either sub.

you also have to consider the box, what frequency its built for, whether it was built with the thiel-small parameters in mind, or just built along a general formula, how the subs will be wired...
the list gets long, which is why i gave a very simple answer to the question.