PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

2002civic
09-09-2006, 11:56 PM
The oil light just came on in my recently bought 2001 330CI. The owner said the oil was recently changed but I had wanted to change it before i moved down to lethbridge but never got the chance, does anyone know anyone that can do this, and secondly, what kind of oil should i use as I had a civic before so things are a little different, thanks in advance
Chris

scat19
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
I use Mobil 1 5w30.

Filter can be bought at the dealer, or offline - or from canadian tire, or... you get the idea.

the dealer can do it for you, minute lube can do it for you...

or you can do it - its simple as making mud.

cocoabrova
09-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Have you thought about doing it yourself? If I don't have the time to do it, I take it to CMS....

Hirosimezz
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Oil - Mobile 1 (5W-50) methinks strikes the balance, I've been using it on my cars since it was first introduced and am very satisfied with it.

Crappy Tire charges way too much for filters. Check Napa or Parts Online - they usually have FRAMs or MANNs for ~2 times less than C-Tire.
As for online, Europarts is the place to go, they deliver in several days to your door and if the amount of the order is above 75CAD shipping is free.

MrLube and such are no way. Never again I will trust any machinery that requires even a minimum amount of brainpower and skill to a bunch of just-out-of-school apes whose hands might be good for jerking off but not much else. :thumbsdow :guns:

Again real gentleman changes oil/filters/plugs himself.
:D :D ;)

R!zz0
09-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Made in Germany 0W-30 100% Synthetic Approved by BMW, Porsche and Mercedes. That's what it say on the back of the bottle.

I used it on my car and the oil pressure went nice and high. I love it and it's way better then Mobil 1. Plus it has better protection then Mobil.

Hirosimezz
09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Err, sorry, what brand is that?..

R!zz0
09-12-2006, 12:22 PM
^^Castrol^^

Sorry man.

Hirosimezz
09-12-2006, 12:30 PM
THANKS! :)

Being made in Germany is no big deal, as it is made to N.American standards anyway and they are different from European, as gas (or petrol) here does not contain as much sulfur as that in Europe so there is a bunch of additives that is missing.

Also, I said that 5-50 is best balanced as it is applicable both to new and to older motors like my M30, and has the broadest temperature range. But for newer machines - yeah, 0-30 might be OK.

To sum up - the choice of oil-filter-spark plug-tire brand is kinda religious thing so everyone has his/her own opinion about this :D :D

FiveFreshFish
09-13-2006, 12:11 AM
I use Mobil 1 0W40.

http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Nav13
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
any opinions on fram oil filters? I am gonna grap the 5 litre jug from walmart for $37, thats the cheapest I can find it, and the fram oil filter is only $5 bucks, or should I stick to oem?

rc2002
10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Mobil 1 at Crappy Tire is $29.99 for 5L

Hirosimezz
10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Do not see any problem with FRAMs really. Just any other filter element.

Justing
10-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I've always heard bad things about fram filters. I figure the extra $10 for oem filter is less expensive than any problem caused by a failed oil filter.

FiveFreshFish
10-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

A few months ago, they listed the same price for Mobil 1 in their weekly flyer. I just happened to be there on the afternoon of the first day of the sale so I pick up 3 jugs.

When I went to pay, they told me the ones I had were not on sale and only those with special labels were on sale. I asked how many they had per store and they said "TWO." How can you run a one-week sale with only two of such a popular item?

Hope those fuckers have more than two per store this time. :thumbsdow

Zero102
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't ever use fram filters on anything....
OEM is the best. Mann or Mahle or Bosch, they are all great filters if they are available for your car.

Nav13
10-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Alright, so just call up the dealership and pick one up? or can you get them else where for cheaper.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
Sorry I forgot to mention the brand, it was $37 for castrol, but it looks like ill be heading over to Canadian tire tommorow to grab some mobile1.

GT4rally
10-07-2006, 03:27 AM
Do I really have to post this again guys?

OK, here we go... All the brands of synthetic oil you guys named are NOT real synthetic oils! There are only three brands of true synthetic (with POAs and/or Esters), that I know of, available in Calgary:

VP Racing RS
Motul
Silcolene (for bikes, although I have yet to find it for cars)

Do some oil research in Google for "POAs" and "Esters". You will see that there is a legal loop-hole in North America that allows the oil companies to pass-off "hydrocracked" oil as synthetic to unknowing Canadian and American customers... but they can't get away with that in Europe, the good stuff is in most brands of synthetic oil over there.

PrezeS_PL
10-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Some time ago I saw a post (maybe not on this forum) about clearing the service/oil light on E36. I have 98 328 and I just changed the oil so if anybody could point me to the post or article that would be great.

Found it

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html