PDA

View Full Version : BMW Oil Change

2002civic
09-09-2006, 11:59 PM
The oil light just came on in my recently bought 2001 330CI. The owner said the oil was recently changed but I had wanted to change it before i moved down to lethbridge but never got the chance, does anyone know anyone that can do this, and secondly, what kind of oil should i use as I had a civic before so things are a little different, thanks in advance
Chris

Kaos
09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I used 5W40. :thumbsup:

G
09-10-2006, 12:16 AM
If the oil light is amber it may just need a little top up.

2002civic
09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
thats what it was, and then it hasnt come on since

cocoabrova
09-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
I used 5W40. :thumbsup:

:werd: as I continue to use 5W40 in that biatch....Seems to run smoother/quieter for longer than 5W30. Have you thought about doing it yourself? If I don't have time to do them, I get CMS to do my oil changes......

EK 2.0
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
If I don't have time to do them, I get CMS to do my oil changes......

read: Arif haha...which also means I get to drive the beast you HAVE to do a road test after an oil change...haha...

BTW we use OEM BMW Filters and ALMOST any oil you wish...

cocoabrova
09-11-2006, 11:12 PM
On second thought, I think I'll MAKE time to do oil changes on all 3 cars.......

:whipped:

But seriously, CMS has done oil changes on all 3 of our cars, the E36, MSP, and the RSX. If you don't have time to do one, book an appt. with them and maybe ask about their oil change package deal.....

hingkit
09-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I use a oil extractor to do mine .... easy and clean .... hassle free ...

i have a new one for sale $60

gp36912
09-12-2006, 12:08 AM
^^^ Ive been using 5w30 :D if you have an oil extractor then you don't even need to raise the car up.

FiveFreshFish
09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
I use Mobil 1 0W40.

http://mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

AllGoNoShow
09-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Been using 5w30 in my old 7 but been reading up that 5w40 may work out better for me, may switch it next time and see if I notice anything.

JspecB16
09-12-2006, 07:32 AM
castrol full synthetic 5w30. Read the manual and it tells you right in there which one to use. It says something about the oil needing to be up to "API SH" standards. Also, on my oil cap its says "BMW recomends Castrol".

hope that helps:thumbsup:

benyl
09-12-2006, 07:48 AM
oh shit, that reminds me that I have to do the interservice change.

Mobil 1 is the way to go. I wish other manufacturers would put the filter up at the top so things don't get so messy. I hate changing the oil on the Subaru. The BMW is so nice and easy.

JspecB16
09-12-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a friend that works at BMW and he told me i don't need an oil change until the cars tells me.

When you first start the car on the console it will say inspection followed by a number of km's.

As long as you drive you car regularly and it doesn't sit around parked for long periods of time, you should get your oil changed then.

Bmw, from what I have been told, only need an oil change every 25000km's or once a year, but depending on your driving style you may have to top it up every couple months.

AllGoNoShow
09-12-2006, 07:53 AM
I'd like to follow that headsup display but I still got 4 solid green bars left before next oil service andmy oil is dirty. Time to change to Synthetic and do a couple fo real fast cycle changes see if I can clean it out.

AllGoNoShow
09-12-2006, 07:55 AM
NEVER change your oil every 25000km's.

Yes the oils they make today can last longer then others but the purpose of chanigng the oil is to remove the dirt and shit the oil has picked up and keep the engine well lubed.

If you look at all the shit you pickup after 5000km's, why would you want that shit floating aroudn for another 20000km's, clogging the filter, reducing how well the engine becomes lubed and get all gunked up.

Wanna see some victim engines of that 25,000km oil changes and the gunk problems?

benyl
09-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by JspecB16
I have a friend that works at BMW and he told me i don't need an oil change until the cars tells me.

When you first start the car on the console it will say inspection followed by a number of km's.

As long as you drive you car regularly and it doesn't sit around parked for long periods of time, you should get your oil changed then.

Bmw, from what I have been told, only need an oil change every 25000km's or once a year, but depending on your driving style you may have to top it up every couple months.

Check on any of the BMW boards, most owners change their oil half way through the service interval.

7 litres of synthetic isn't all that expensive for the peace of mind of knowing my engine is clean.

In all honesty, I don't think that I am going to keep my Bimmer... so maybe I shouldn't bother... hahaha

JspecB16
09-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
NEVER change your oil every 25000km's.

Yes the oils they make today can last longer then others but the purpose of chanigng the oil is to remove the dirt and shit the oil has picked up and keep the engine well lubed.

If you look at all the shit you pickup after 5000km's, why would you want that shit floating aroudn for another 20000km's, clogging the filter, reducing how well the engine becomes lubed and get all gunked up.

Wanna see some victim engines of that 25,000km oil changes and the gunk problems?

I agree. I am going to just check my oil level every so often and if its still clean, i won't change it until the car says, but if i notice it getting dirty I will change it right then.

gp36912
09-12-2006, 05:12 PM

I agree. I am going to just check my oil level every so often and if its still clean, i won't change it until the car says, but if i notice it getting dirty I will change it right then.

i change mine every 5000kms cuz even at 5000 the oil comes out black. and dirty as heck