PDA

View Full Version : Traffic control in Vancouver and other BC cities.

JordanEG6
09-10-2006, 12:25 AM
So in Calgary, green lights are just solid green, then turn yellow and turning green arrows are blinking green, then turn yellow.

I've been noticing in places like Vancouver or Victoria, that some green traffic lights remain solid green, then turn yellow and some blink (on/off numerous times) green, then turn yellow and then some remain solid, then blink green, then turn yellow lol. What's that all about and what does solid and blinking green indicate?

And the same thing with turning green arrows, some are solid, some blink etc etc.

rage2
09-10-2006, 12:55 AM
The blinking green has something to do with pedestrians... either pedestrians have the right of way so you have to stop for them, or they can press a button and it'll go yellow then red as soon as they do.

jetfire
09-10-2006, 12:58 AM
In BC, the blinking green traffic signal means that that intersection is a pedestrian controlled interesection... meaning it won't change to yellow/red until a pedestrian hits the button to cross.

JordanEG6
09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
aaah I see. Thanks for the info guys. :)

Watcher
09-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jetfire
In BC, the blinking green traffic signal means that that intersection is a pedestrian controlled interesection... meaning it won't change to yellow/red until a pedestrian hits the button to cross. :werd:

TimG
09-12-2006, 05:55 AM
yah. it's fun to see ontario drivers deal with flashing greens like that :devil:

Crymson
09-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by TimG
yah. it's fun to see ontario drivers deal with flashing greens like that :devil:

That's hilarous! Isn't a blinking in green in ontario, an advance green? If I saw a blinking green light, that to me, always meant the same as a turning arrow.

calgarygts
09-12-2006, 08:32 AM
in mexico the lights blink green for a bit before it turns yellow. Kind of a warning for the warning. I liked it.
I also liked the fact that red meant to slow down and then blast through when you didn't have traffic in your way:)

TimG
09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts

I also liked the fact that red meant to slow down and then blast through when you didn't have traffic in your way:)

so you've driven in Toronto/Ottawa then? :nut:

a social dsease
09-12-2006, 07:40 PM
one thing I like are the amber warning lights that are placed about 100m before intersections. For example, they have them on Crowchild at Kensington Ave NW and Crowchild and 5th ave NW. They don't have them much in Vancouver, but in Burnaby on Canada Way and Lougheed Highway for example they have em at every single intersection. I think they are super handy because it eliminates having to make that split second decision when the light turns yellow, slam on the brakes or giver???
I think they should have them at every intersection, but obviously this isn't possible, so I propose they should put them on every intersection that has a red light camera. That way you can have fair warning, and if people run a red light they can't use the excuse that it wasn't safe to stop in those conditions.

Zero102
09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
A blinking yellow is just as effective as a warning sign for lights. That said, if there is a lighted intersection around a corner or something like that then there should be a warning sign.

I just moved to Vernon and noticed the flashing green lights. I had never seen one in Calgary before. I was wondering what they were for.... good to know!