PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a vehicle from different city?

CelicaST-162
09-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey guys, need some advice here.

I am intrested in a vehicle that is in Vancouver BC right now. How would I go abouts in purchasing it? I would be flying down there and driving it back. I know already I would be asking for detailed pictures and carfax. If possible has a friend or relative look at it ( I have relatives there). So my question is how would I make this go smoothly as possible? How would the legalities work in driving it back to Calgary, would an intransit pass work if i were to purchase one here and stick in BC and drive it back?

Help and advice appreciated!

arian_ma
09-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that would be fine, just all you gotta do when you bring the car into Alberta to register it is do an OOP inspection.

I think that's all.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Talk to the registry about registering it... they *should* give you a temp registration (whether it be an in transit pass or something else) Then, when you get to calgary, just get an OOP and register it... You gotta talk to your insurance company as well and get some temp insurance papers.

What kind of car is it?

CelicaST-162
09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Talk to the registry about registering it... they *should* give you a temp registration (whether it be an in transit pass or something else) Then, when you get to calgary, just get an OOP and register it... You gotta talk to your insurance company as well and get some temp insurance papers.

What kind of car is it?

1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa

More Tips and advice appreciated!

Weapon_R
09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
It's very simple. Insure it before you leave, take your plate and pink slip with you, and buy it. You don't need an in-transit pass.

Throw your plate on it - you have 14 days to drive a new car as long as its insured and your current plate registration is valid.

max_boost
09-11-2006, 09:35 PM
When you get back, take it to a Certified shop to get your 'Out of Province Inspection' done and the registry will allow you to register the car and get new plates.

lush
09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
There isn't a grace period (14 days) if you were to stick a plate on it.. So if you get pulled over it's up to the officer whether or not he wants to ticket you for the unregistered vehicle.

From my knowledge working in the Registry, the best way to do it is to insure the vehicle before bringing it home. You would need a bill of sale to get your insurance... So you can fax your bill of sale back and they can fax you a confirmation slip for your insurance. You don't need your original slip.. A faxed copy of your insurance works just as good. If you know your broker well.. They don't ask for a bill of sale until you get back.

As for an intransit permit, you can obtain one from Alberta registries prior to picking up the vehicle from BC. Ask the clerk to give you as much time as possible because policy states you can only get a limited amount of time on the permit to reduce the chances of abusing the permit. I usually issue the permit for 3 days just incase something happens on the way home.

Out of province inspection should be done before you get plates.. because the registry has to change the status to an Alberta vehicle and transfer the vehicle information over to the proper jurisdiction. After that is done, bring your bill of sale, insurance, inspection certificate and driver's licence to the registry and register it & get plates.

Annoyingrob
09-12-2006, 06:03 AM
I use Meloche Monnex for insurance (as does my brother). We both brought vehicles in from out of province. They did not require any form of proof of sale for the insurance. They only needed the VIN, and faxed over a 15-day insurance slip (they can email them too). After those 15 days, proof of ownership was required.

To get the in-transit permit, I do believe all that was needed was proof of insurance, and cash or debit for payment.

BTW, I like your choice of cars :clap: