PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Yesterday I was going to braig creek for paintballing and on my way I almost miss the stop while I was going about 80km/hr and slowed down to get into the turn off and 2 bikers behind me not sure if they were not paying attention or tailgating. One misses me and goes around me while the other hit my bumper and fell but he almost stoped and his bike just fell on his feet. I helped him picked it up his legs seemed ok and just cosmetic damage for his bike. He took down my info and all I got was his number. I know its fault on both sides, he said that if we do go thru insurance and police its 400-500 bucks ticket each. Me for not signalling and him for following too close. Just called the guy and he said let this go as learning exp. He said he is a man of his words and just cover our own damage. My damage arent bad either just couple light scratches. He said he has taken the whole week off bc his thigh hurts and he won't come back a yr later to sue me and he is a man of his words and such.

Looks like a tough biker and straight forwward didnt copy my license plate or anything.

What should I do. I have agreed to his you fix yours and i fix mine and leave this behind as learning exp.
But can he really come back later on and sue me if anything or would he over something like this? I really do believe his words but I want something to protect myself later on too!

I feel like a irresponsible moron for not signalling and just turned like that putting his life on the line but he was trailing a little close as well, I have 3 buddies in the car as witness and he has a friend as well.

Should I just drop it as well?

BlkMaxima
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
He rear ended you = He is 100% at fault

Thats what happened when I rear ended someone who cut me off

Weapon_R
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Wait a minute...he hit you from behind?

If so, he's entirely at fault. Now, morally you feel a little responsible, so if I were you i'd man up and fix your own damage but get him to sign a paper releasing you of any liabilities.

Now keep in mind, he hit you from behind so he's at fault so the balls in your court, which is why he's being so cooperative with you :)

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:35 AM
i know i know but i feel guilty as well so i really do want to cut him some slack and drop it for him and me.

But will he later on come back and bite me?

He does seem once again straight forward man and he was totally insured. his feet was stuck under the bike.

:cry: help dudes

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Wait a minute...he hit you from behind?

If so, he's entirely at fault. Now, morally you feel a little responsible, so if I were you i'd man up and fix your own damage but get him to sign a paper releasing you of any liabilities.

Now keep in mind, he hit you from behind so he's at fault so the balls in your court, which is why he's being so cooperative with you :)

I just called and he didn't seem to want to write a statement for both of us. He seems scared I will use it to sue him or go thru insurance with that statement later on.

Weapon_R
He cannot come back and claim anything against you. Whether he'll come and beat the fuck outta you is a different story since he has your personal information

BlkMaxima
What kind of damage to your car?

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
He cannot come back and claim anything against you. Whether he'll come and beat the fuck outta you is a different story since he has your personal information

coming out of someone who has alot of credit on beyond...you just relieved tons of stress on me! THANK YOU!

I truely do feel guilty that what I did has harmed others...who was just enjoying their ride on the highway.

So he couldn't claim anything later on even without a statement?

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

couple scratches on my bumper...

part B of the thread

anyone can give me a quote on how much it is to fix that bumper?

does it need to sand the entire bumper to repaint it?

5hift
Regardless of if you had on your turn signal or not, the fact that he hit you shows he was tailgating you or at least was not paying attention. This is 100% on him. You should have gotten all his info and not just a number.

DepTrotter
Originally posted by energieboi
My damage arent bad either just couple light scratches.

Originally posted by BlkMaxima

Weapon_R
09-11-2006, 11:44 AM

coming out of someone who has alot of credit on beyond...you just relieved tons of stress on me! THANK YOU!

I truely do feel guilty that what I did has harmed others...who was just enjoying their ride on the highway.

So he couldn't claim anything later on even without a statement?

Ok, he's 100% at fault. He rear ended you. I could slam my brakes on deerfoot trail and the person who hit me would be liable. There are a million and one reasons for stopping in traffic. An animal can run onto the road, you could have witnessed something ahead, etc.

So basically, he hit you from behind. 1000% at fault. You are not responsible whatsoever for the accident. He was following too closely and the matter is closed. Even his friend cannot be used as a witness because he is biased.

He is asking you to basically forgive him. He knows he cannot claim anything whatsoever against you. He only thinks he can convince you to let the matter go - which is entirely up to you. If you involve the police, only he will get the ticket, not you. If you go through insurance, only his premiums will rise, not yours.

Once again, if you decide to fix your own damage, that is your choice. But keep in mind that he has no bargaining power whatsoever in the matter. A basic bumper repaint will cost you around $300 as long as you take it to a budget shop.

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:45 AM

Ok, he's 100% at fault. He rear ended you. I could slam my brakes on deerfoot trail and the person who hit me would be liable. There are a million and one reasons for stopping in traffic. An animal can run onto the road, you could have witnessed something ahead, etc.

So basically, he hit you from behind. 1000% at fault. You are not responsible whatsoever for the accident. He was following too closely and the matter is closed. Even his friend cannot be used as a witness because he is biased.

He is asking you to basically forgive him. He knows he cannot claim anything whatsoever against you. He only thinks he can convince you to let the matter go - which is entirely up to you. If you involve the police, only he will get the ticket, not you. If you go through insurance, only his premiums will rise, not yours.

Once again, if you decide to fix your own damage, that is your choice. But keep in mind that he has no bargaining power whatsoever in the matter.

will he get a lawer like he said if I do decide to go thru with this? I want to drop it i really do i just dont want him to sue me later on the road for injuries from this accident.

Weapon_R
09-11-2006, 11:46 AM

will he get a lawer like he said if I do decide to go thru with this? I want to drop it i really do i just dont want him to sue me later on the road for injuries from this accident.

lol, he threatened to get a lawyer? He cant claim anything against you. Fuck him, get the insurance company on his ass because he sounds like a weasal. They will find him at fault so you don't need to stress about it.

energieboi
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
yes he said he ll get a lawer to straight things out but after he said sorry for the incident and so did i and told me he won't come back and sue me if thats what im worried about and how he has a family and man of his words.

:dunno: just let it go?

Crymson
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Chances are your decutable is more than it would cost to have a few scratches repaired.

I'm not sure if you can go to a body shot, get a quote and THEN file an insurance claim or not.

Anton
09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
When I got into an accident there was a person who got a slight concussion and my insurance agent told me to get a written statement from him that claimed that he will not come back to sue me later. He told me that he can still come back within 3 years (I believe that's what he said) and sue me.

Be careful. Get a written statement from him and give him one as well so it seems like you're just looking out for the both of you.

teggypimp95
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah exactly. you can probably have them buffed out. He knows he 100% at fault so he just threatning if so you dont do anything. PLus you have no document or police report about that day so he has nothin on you. I would just let it good. fix ur scratches if there bad enough and move on.

88CRX
09-11-2006, 12:24 PM
maybe call your insurance company and explain what happened and have them keep it on file, just in case he tries to come after you in the future.

Weapon_R
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
First thing you should do is fill out a police report. This may come in handy in the future. Don't tell him you're going to do it.

Next, take pictures of the damage. If he tries to argue that you hit him, you can provide evidence that he hit you from behind.

Document everything you can so that you have a clear recollection of everything that happened. I wouldn't worry too much about him coming back, but you should be organized.

energieboi
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
First thing you should do is fill out a police report. This may come in handy in the future. Don't tell him you're going to do it.

Next, take pictures of the damage. If he tries to argue that you hit him, you can provide evidence that he hit you from behind.

Document everything you can so that you have a clear recollection of everything that happened. I wouldn't worry too much about him coming back, but you should be organized.

1st off thanks for the tips

Should I still go after a writen statement...he does know my address and he look like a rig worker so I dont want to tick him off to come physco after me.

I will go write a police statement with number of witnesses.

Is that enough to protect my butt in case later on he sue me for injurires?

I too doubt that he will do anything and he is a man of his words but i want something to protect my butt for the future!

thanks again duders!

88CRX
09-11-2006, 01:03 PM
actually yea, police report is a good idea. get that... dont call insurance lol

Annoyingrob
09-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Reminds me of the time some kid driving his dad's SL55 AMG opened his door into a parking spot as my brother was pulling into that spot. He went off the deep end at how my brother would have to pay for the door and everything. My brother went to the police, filed a report, the police said the other driver was 100% at fault for opening the door in an unsafe manor.

A police report is a great idea. That will hold up in court as tangable proof that it's not your fault (if it ever went that far). If he wanted to sue you in a year, he wouldn't get very far, as there's a report saying that he hit you.

NickGT
09-12-2006, 06:29 AM
If all you've got is his phone number, you could trying running a reverse directory search on it to get the address. If that works you'll be able to drive by and get his plate possibly. Just a thought.

Link (http://people.superpages.ca/wp/reverse.jsp?SRC=&PI=)

energieboi
09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
hm its his cell phone number so I can't find his address on there. And I didn't signal would that consider half my fault and half his fault? Does my buddy considered witnesses since they were in the car with me...or would it be biased

right now he said he ll keep his words and just leave it as it is. As a learning exp and haven't heard from him since.