PDA

View Full Version : Sushi Hibiki (formerly Cafe de Tokyo)

nonlinear
09-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I used to be a big fan of cafe do tokyo noodles, but they unfortunately closed up shop and can't get it anymore.

however, a new sushi place has moved into the same spot. They've renovated the entire place. I really liked the 'greasy spoon' aura of cafe de tokyo, but this new place is really a lot warmer atmosphere. they have dark solid wood furniture and walls, really classy. the sushi is also done very well (much better than cafe de tokyo sushi).

i was at about 6:30 on a saturday night, and we were the only people in the whole place - strange, considering how quality the place is and that we tried two other sushi places before, and both had 30+ minute waits. I don't think many people know this place exisits...

anyone else been to this new place? what do you all think?

max_boost
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I haven't tried it...but after reading your post I will be sure to stop by this week! I always pass it on the way home.

TurboMedic
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
How do the prices/selection look?

nonlinear
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
hrm, i don't remember the exact prices or selection. i mean it's pretty much the same as you'd find at any sushi place, since fish is frozen and easy to distribute. anyhow, the menu is large and they have lots of different kinds. it's maybe like $1.50-$2 sashimi and like $3-$4 small rolls, and on up for bigger rolls

GQBalla
09-11-2006, 02:01 PM
hows the sushi though? fresh?

nonlinear
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
well, like i said most raw fish you get has been flash frozen to kill parasites, etc. so it's not exactly 'fresh' but I would say that in terms of quality, hibiki rates up there with some of the better sushi places in calgary (and I don't mean expensive = quality... when i say quality, i mean Wu's on centre street or that other place south of the brick on centre. this place compares to those). anyhow, it's definately a lot better than cafe de tokyo ghetto-rolls. i had some thick-ass slabs of salmon sashimi that basically like melted in my mouth.

msommers
09-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Personally really like Wasabi right by SAIT, probaly like 16ave and 5th or 6thst NW

clem24
09-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Wow Wu's barely makes it as a sushi place for me, and Wasabi is about one of the WORST sushi places I've been to. The sushi is so small I don't even have to chew. :thumbsdow Plus it's not that fresh either.

nonlinear
09-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Wow Wu's barely makes it as a sushi place for me, and Wasabi is about one of the WORST sushi places I've been to. The sushi is so small I don't even have to chew. :thumbsdow Plus it's not that fresh either.

i agree, wasabi sucks, but i've never heard anything but good things about Wu's. what don't you like about that place?

clem24
09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

i agree, wasabi sucks, but i've never heard anything but good things about Wu's. what don't you like about that place?

Wait, is it Wu's or Wa's? That's the one beside the Video and Sound, jus tto be sure we're talking about the same place. Anyway, what I don't like about it is that there are much better places and their sushi wasn't that great for what you pay. You just have to visit Sushi Bar Zipang or Sushi Bar Miki to know what I am talking about. If there was no other sushi places in Calgary, then Wa's or Wu's or whatever would probably do, but the truth is, the quality of sushi in Calgary has gone up quite substantially in the last few years.

nonlinear
09-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure if it's Wu's or Wa's.... actually the sign is in japanese so I can't read it. anyhow, it's located on 4th street and 16 ave NW, across from safeway and near theregal beagle (i think it is)

it's a good place IMO

I've never been to Sushi Bar Zipang or Sushi Bar Miki, where are those?

t-im
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
I never found Zipang that great??? But I haven't gone there in a year so maybe it's changed.

Nitron88
09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
the owner of sumo lounge changed and the freshness has dropped since.. just a tip.

clem24
09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Wasn't it Peter that owned Sumo Lounge? He's always at his new place now (Kinjo on McLeod - the only other Kaitenzushi that I know of in Calgary). Great place. Sushi is generally ok, not the best, but can't beat it for fast sushi. They do have the biggest ebi pieces that I've ever had. Free Pocky if you bring the misses!! :D

sputnik
09-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Wasn't it Peter that owned Sumo Lounge? He's always at his new place now (Kinjo on McLeod - the only other Kaitenzushi that I know of in Calgary). Great place. Sushi is generally ok, not the best, but can't beat it for fast sushi. They do have the biggest ebi pieces that I've ever had. Free Pocky if you bring the misses!! :D

I dont think Peter owned Sumo (or Sakana), I think I was just the head chef.

He owns Kinjo (his last name) though. I agree, the sushi isnt amazing or anything but its good and quite a bit cheaper than most of the places in town. I have yet to find somewhere in Calgary that matches his quality and price.