PDA

View Full Version : Traction Question??

BlkMaxima
09-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Ok, when I went to race city for secret street I had crappy traction, I was told it was because the way they prep the track isn't that great, and my tires were not good and also my suspension was set fairly stiff!

So I want to try it again at SCC in Edmonton

How Should I do my Set up this time??

General all-season tires size : P225/50R/15?

Toyo T1-S Performance Tires : P215/45R/15?
LINK FOR TOYOS (http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/sports_car/t1s.html)

Should I have low PSI in the tires???

rc2002
09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't think any of those options are going to help you much. Street tires can only give you so much traction no matter what pressure you have in them. Practice will improve times way more than worrying about small changes in pressure and tire size.

BlkMaxima
09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Well I guess It's a good thing to go to then I can practice all day long:thumbsup:

whiskas
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Are your autocrossing or drag racing?

Go for the Toyos, 1 cm of extra width won't make up for the different compound.

You have to find a balance in PSI, too low and it'll slow you down on the straight, too high and you won't get traction at the start. Drop it just low enough to take care of most of the wheel spin.

BlkMaxima
09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Are your autocrossing or drag racing?

Go for the Toyos, 1 cm of extra width won't make up for the different compound.

You have to find a balance in PSI, too low and it'll slow you down on the straight, too high and you won't get traction at the start. Drop it just low enough to take care of most of the wheel spin.

I will be drag racing. Also will doing a burnout before each run make any difference or is it just a waste!

gpomp
09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Toyo's, stiff susp, low tire press.

ZedMan
09-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

I will be drag racing. Also will doing a burnout before each run make any difference or is it just a waste!

skip the water box, a quick spin to get the tires clean is all you need.

HiTempguy1
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
With a low profile tire such as your toyo, you DO NOT want to air it down to much. The problem is that with the stiffer sidewall the toyo t1-s has (as do most "hi-performance" tires), the sidewalls are stiff enough that they will support the car for the most part, but the tire will "cup" in an upsidedown u-shape (physically lifting the contact patch portion of the tire off of the ground, or at the very least lowering the amount of pressure on it). I have found great success running my Toyo T1-R's at 30psi for traction in a straight line. I wouldn't recommend any lower than 26psi.