PDA

View Full Version : Need construction industry info

downtime
09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Wanted to know to get onto a construction site as a general labouror or as a framer,what would be needed in terms of papers and what course if any would i have to take and how long would it be?

frozenrice
09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Depends on what you define the term "general labour" as. If you're just looking for a general labour for say a home builder you really don't need too much. Just a good, hard work ethic. You'll most likely be doing things like sweeping, garbage removal, moving materials, digging etc - your basic grunt work stuff.

downtime
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I mean someone getting on a job site without any "paper's" but working on getting them while i work.How much schooling would i need to be a framer before i could work ona site as an apprentice?

ashee
09-12-2006, 11:52 AM
My uncles a framer and never went to school for it, they trained him on the job.

abyss
09-12-2006, 01:01 PM
You can start any apprenticeship with no experience. Only depends on what you want to do and who's hiring. If you want to be a framer you just go and apply to be an apprentice with any homebuilder. Chances are if you have a pulse you can be hired anywhere in Calgary, some builders only hire people with more experience but everyone's gotta start somewhere right?

edit - They'll get you to fil out an Alberta apprenticeship contract after you're hired and from then on you're on the clock towards Journeyman.

D. Dub
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by downtime
Wanted to know to get onto a construction site as a general labouror or as a framer,what would be needed in terms of papers and what course if any would i have to take and how long would it be?

Show up on a site with workboots, a framing hammer and a tool-belt.