PDA

View Full Version : Rick Dipietro signs a 15 year $67.5million contract!

88CRX
09-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Rick Dipietro signs a 15 year/67.5mill contract with the Islanders!

WTF are they thinking? Crazy.

Story here:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177223&hubname=

sputnik
09-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Completely retarded.

DiPietro will be 40 when the contract expires.

Pee_Sack
09-12-2006, 08:27 AM
holy shit that is insane

aklalani
09-12-2006, 08:32 AM
idiots

DepTrotter
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
thats the gayest shit i ever heard

l8braker
09-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Dipietro is good, but not that good.

Hype.

The Cosworth
09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
i could use that kinda money...

it would be nice... to have that kinda job security... - nahasmaej

Kirbs17
09-12-2006, 10:25 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

God damn islanders are the most retarded franchise

Moonracer
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
^^^it's all been said!^^^ :banghead:

footballer
09-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Actually this is a great move.
67/15 is about 4.667 million a year. With inflation the way it has been 4.667 million will be peanuts in 5 years. With today's technology its very conceivable that goalies will last until 40 without problems. Just take a look at belfour. Would i have done it? nope. Does it make sense? sure.

Seanith
09-12-2006, 10:45 AM
wow. just wow.

heavyD
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
You guys quit making fun about the Islanders as they are moving in the right direction. :whipped: I have a 2nd job interview for their assistant GM job next week. Last I heard it's between me, the head janitor at the Naussau Coloseum, & Charle's Wang's wife's hair dresser. The hair dresser has the upper hand unfortunately because she's sold him on this new method on recruiting players based on their looks & style over performance and that has intrigued Mr. Wang. Any thoughts on what I can do to win him over?:confused:

habsfan
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by footballer
67/15 is about 4.667 million a year. With inflation the way it has been 4.667 million will be peanuts in 5 years. With today's technology its very conceivable that goalies will last until 40 without problems. Just take a look at belfour. Would i have done it? nope. Does it make sense? sure.

IF dipietro is able to be a good goalie for 15 consecutive years, and IF he never ever gets an injury, and IF he can prove that he is a goalie that can lead a team to a cup win, then it's a great contract for both sides...but thats alot of if's that have to go right for thie 15 year contract to make any sense at all.

my vote is that this is a retarded idea for the isles to offer this contract and even worse for dipietro to accept it.

three.eighteen.
09-12-2006, 11:03 AM
uhh...wow, just when you think the islander's situation couldn't get any stranger :confused:

habsfan
09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
You guys quit making fun about the Islanders as they are moving in the right direction. :whipped: I have a 2nd job interview for their assistant GM job next week. Last I heard it's between me, the head janitor at the Naussau Coloseum, & Charle's Wang's wife's hair dresser. The hair dresser has the upper hand unfortunately because she's sold him on this new method on recruiting players based on their looks & style over performance and that has intrigued Mr. Wang. Any thoughts on what I can do to win him over?:confused:

perhaps since he is now intruiged by handsome men and is willing to hire them over talented people, you should take a trip to your local man spa and get yourself all prettied up for him. maybe wear a speedo to the interview and hope for the best. good luck :thumbsup:

A2VR6
09-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Well I hope he plays well in New York because he's basically untradable for a long time. Im still in disbelief.

88CRX
09-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
it would be nice... to have that kinda job security... - nahasmaej

i just spit coffee on my desk :rofl: :rofl:

cman
09-12-2006, 01:07 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Pretty much what I've been doing since 630am this morning.
WTF were they thinking!!!!
He will be fucking 40 when his contract expires!

If he magically becomes a top goaltender in the league, he will be hugely under paid. If he becomes a huge bust, they will be stuck with him for years!:dunno:

stevieo
09-12-2006, 01:10 PM
even if he gets injured / retires islanders are gonna have to own up the contract right?

anyways, if he stays steady its not "that bad" of a deal. haha. but 15 years? ill be 36 when this thing is over.

But from his standpoint, if he doesn't get better and what not he is garanteed salary of 4.5 or so a year. haha lucky bastard.

cman
09-12-2006, 01:21 PM
I would assume there is a "must play x games to get x salary" clause in the agreement:dunno:
If not that make sit even funnier.

stevieo
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
unless theres 'insurance' on the deal, cause for the flames fans, do you guys remember brad werenka?
he had a career ending injury did he not? flames didn't have insurance on his salary thus we still had to pay out for him for the 1-2 years we had left on teh contract.

anarchy
09-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

IF dipietro is able to be a good goalie for 15 consecutive years, and IF he never ever gets an injury, and IF he can prove that he is a goalie that can lead a team to a cup win, then it's a great contract for both sides...but thats alot of if's that have to go right for thie 15 year contract to make any sense at all.

my vote is that this is a retarded idea for the isles to offer this contract and even worse for dipietro to accept it.

Exactly. A LOT of factors have to go right for the islanders for this deal to make any sense. And while 4 mil may not seem like much in 15 years, its still a fair amount and whether he'll be worth that much in his late 30's is a question mark.

If he gets injured, he is still GUARANTEED the full contract amount. Only if he retires for other reasons does he have to return the rest of the money.

Charles Wang and his management style is running the isles franchise into the ground. It's unbelievable he hasn't learned from the Yashin deal that they are still stuck with.

rip
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Garth Snow is my hero.

rip
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Will this be another addition to the awesome moves the islanders have made over the past yrs??? Let the MIllbury saga live through Snow.

Add this one to the list of these ones.

-Mccabe and Bertuzzi for Linden
-Yashin for Chara and Spezza
-Redden for Berard
-Luongo and Jokien for Parrish and Kvasha
-Berard for Potvin.
-Peca for York

Keep it comin ISles.

toyboy88
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

worse for dipietro to accept? LOL, he's got 4.5mil cash flow for the next 15 years?!?! who cares what team u play for? :rolleyes:

HuMz
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
This could very well turn out to be the one of the worst signing's in the history of professional sports.

stevieo
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88

worse for dipietro to accept? LOL, he's got 4.5mil cash flow for the next 15 years?!?! who cares what team u play for? :rolleyes:
those are the fucking players i hate with a passion.

seriously you have all this 'natural' ability and you piss it all away being a floater and just getting big money.

Si_FlyGuy
09-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I have a feeling that if dipietro does well, he'll head for arbitration asking for more anyway.

habsfan
09-12-2006, 05:24 PM
and who's to say that 4.5 mil is big money in 10 years? how do we know that the market for goalies doesn't go up to 7 or 8 mil a year for the best ones? then at that point if he's elite, he's getting the shaft for accepting it.

pinoyhero
09-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Well put, take a look at the math especially on an npv basis and its not that much dough, although they are taking on hide long term risk with that duration of a contract.

stevieo
09-12-2006, 05:48 PM

what if the salary cap goes down? less audience for the NHL.
k what if he does last till 40? if he sucks now, he will suck then.
4.5 mill for a bakc up goalie playing 10 games a season.
nice, 450 thousand dollars a game.

fordo_11
09-12-2006, 05:58 PM
The isles are retarded. First Yashin's moronic 10 year deal and now this. They have no clue about the terms of contracts. It is all fine and dandy to lock up a player long term, but what happens when he shits the bed and you are stuck paying his salary. I mean look at the players that happend too last year. Mogiliny, Ciercawski, Zhamnov and the list goes on. This was hands down the wort contract signed this offseason.

h_s
09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
wow.. this just puzzles me... wtf is ny thinking??

Kirbs17
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by h_s
wow.. this just puzzles me... wtf is ny thinking??

They dont think...'nuff said

urbannomad
09-12-2006, 08:48 PM
you're allowed to make 15 year contracts, wtf! :rofl:

PeterGTiR
09-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I think the owner looked at it too much from a business perspective. 4.67 mil will be hella cheap 10 years from now for a quality goalie, but the guy isn't guaranteed to be a quality goalie.

Dipietro was smart...says on TSN that he'll get paid even if he has a career ending injury.

Team_Mclaren
09-12-2006, 11:46 PM
holy fuck, i just cant stop laughting. Wang is a fucking tool. It has nothing to do with snow, he's just being used, thats all

PeterGTiR
09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Keep in mind that Wang is a billionaire...

max_boost
09-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by rip
Will this be another addition to the awesome moves the islanders have made over the past yrs??? Let the MIllbury saga live through Snow.

Add this one to the list of these ones.

-Mccabe and Bertuzzi for Linden
-Yashin for Chara and Spezza
-Redden for Berard
-Luongo and Jokien for Parrish and Kvasha
-Berard for Potvin.
-Peca for York

Keep it comin ISles. Stanely Cup Contender.

McCabe/Chara
Spezza/Bertuzzi/Peca
Luongo in net

........DAMN!!!:eek: :goflames:

tapout
09-13-2006, 03:33 AM
nice work mr snow :rofl: :banghead:

Mikey_008
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Franchise is done if they keep pulling dumb moves like this! Look at Yashin...didnt they sign him for 10 years? Well look at him...and he's not playing to the potential that everyone thinks he can!:thumbsdow :thumbsdow