PDA

View Full Version : Got a Speeding ticket. Should i fight it?

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
well i was on my way home from a movie last night around 12:00pm and there was construction going on. the speed limit was 50km/h and i was doing 75. The officer gave me a $301.00 ticket. I know it was my fault and i was stupid for speeding, but do you think if i went to fight it i could get it reduced just by making a court appearence??? Im 17 so it would be in youth.
Would it be worth it to go???

and the ticket and the officer didn't say anything about damerits, did i most likely lose some and if so, how many do you think???

adam c
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
theres no fighting it, you could probably get it reduced a little bit, as for demerits i think ur looking at 3 and since ur a GDL u have what.. 5 left?

Oldskool
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
get your speedometer tested then talk to a crown, it takes an hour and you'll probably get it reduced.

you do not have to go to court.

googe
09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
15 over is 3 demerits usually, dunno if thats different with a GDL

its definitely worth it to talk to the CP.

search the other 304932094823 threads that have asked this same question :thumbsup:

SilverBoost
09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Well since it's 25 over I'd say it's more than 3.

I'd fight anything. It's your right to so why not. Worst case scenario you still have to pay the fine. Which you'll do anyhow if you do nothing. Best case, it could get beat. (Maybe have to get POINTS invovled for that to happen though.) But I'm thinking at the very least you'll get a reduction on the fine itself anyway.

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
but i know i was in the wrong and what can i say to defend myself??? :dunno:

Ghettobaby
09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
just tell them that you are a student and cannot come up with the 300, they will reduce it probably to 150-180 and give you a couple months to pay it.

ercchry
09-12-2006, 03:58 PM
show up on a thursday at 830-9 and choose to talk to the justice normally he is cool, when i was 17 i got a ticket for 25 over and exuast and tinted windows i took a couple pics of the over size wheels i had (which would effect my speed) and of the exaust with my keys to refrence to size of it and of the tint. then he started tellin me how much he loves rotories and how they 'just rev for ever' (i was in my rx7) and he threw out the exuast and tinted window tickets and asked me what i would like him to do about the speeding ticket and i sayed i just didnt want any demerits so he took all of them off and then lowered to fine. its awsome being a youth just dont expect it when you turn 18 bc it sucks

ercchry
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
but i know i was in the wrong and what can i say to defend myself??? :dunno:
say nothin they do all the talkin just anwser the questions they ask and dont set a trial date

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
hahah.. yeah... well i am actually a student at mount royal, and i cant afford the ticket! so i guess i'll just tell him that and well see what he says.... can i just show up on thursday morning? or do i have to sign up to go for thursday?

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
is a trial date when you go into the court room and the cop will be there?

scat19
09-12-2006, 04:05 PM
How can you defend yourself?

I dont understand the points of these useless threads.

You were caught doing 25 over..... doesnt matter how old you are, the time of day, the officer...

If it was a questionable ticket where it was the officers discression, ie. Unsafe Lanechange, etc. then there is some hope.

Every lunch break I watch judge mathis, there are so many idiots without any evidence that go on there, its hilarious.

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:09 PM
but if theres a chance that it may be reduced than why not?

ercchry
09-12-2006, 04:10 PM
yeah just show up at 830 and sign in tell them that you want the 'speak with the justice' option and a trial is another option and that is when the cop is there the great part about the justice option is there is no cop to voice his side of it they only have the notes that he rights on the back of there copy. the justice normally just reads this and then makes a deal with you and you dont have to accept and still have option of trial if you dont like it. if you show up later than 830 be prepared to be waiting around all morning because it gets really busy. and it is only thursdays and just make sure it is before the date on the ticket. or you can go another day and set a thursday to meet up to about a month later if you want but it is still first come first serve

stevieo
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by scat19

You were caught doing 25 over..... doesnt matter how old you are, the time of day, the officer...

If it was a questionable ticket where it was the officers discression, ie. Unsafe Lanechange, etc. then there is some hope.

Every lunch break I watch judge mathis, there are so many idiots without any evidence that go on there, its hilarious.

you don't actually defend yourself, you just ask for a 'break'

what the fuck does this have to do with judge mathis?
too many bannings make you go duh duh?

ercchry
09-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by scat19

yeah but have you ever talked to a youth court justice? because it doesnt sound like you have if you dont know anything about this situation then why post negitive coments . this thread is not useless if someone that doesnt no how the justice system works for a minor then maybe the info will be helpful

adam c
09-12-2006, 04:14 PM
only thursdays??

ive gone in on a friday and talked to a justice

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah.... i hope it atleast gets reduced or if not he just takes off the damerits. But well see.

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Judge mathis eah...

adam c
09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
demerits dont come off anymore, they can be reduced to 2 but not taken off

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
have u ever seen someone on judge mathis go to fight a speeding ticket??? :dunno: cause i doubt it man

ercchry
09-12-2006, 04:20 PM
thursdays is at the youth court its a different building then the adult one and after you accept you dont have to pay right away either you can get up to over 3 months to pay my ticket ended up being $113 for 105 in an 80 and no demerits but not in a construction zone

scat19
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

you don't actually defend yourself, you just ask for a 'break'

what the fuck does this have to do with judge mathis?
too many bannings make you goduh duh?

haha, no. Ive only been banned once.

Judge Mathis just seemed to be appropriate in this situation of evidence presenting. :)

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
yeah, i think there gonna be a little harder on me because i was in a construction zone for sure... i could just say i was letting my car coast down to the speedlimit.... cause i was going 110km/h (deerfoot speed limit) then came into the construction zone?? you think that could work?

ercchry
09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
yeah for sure like i sayed before you really dont say much just be polite shake his hand when you meet him and all that. it goes a long way because most people there are there for dumb shit . last time i was there there was a girl that was maybe 14 who got caught for dealing and was crazy swearing away and stuff

rc2002
09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
No more RO deals. You get demerits no matter what. You might get them reduced but not wiped off completely.

bluetek
09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Just suck it up and pay the fine. You know you are at fault, so take full responsibilities for your actions. Maybe it might teach you a lesson or two to slow down in construction zones wheres its double fine.

It shouldent matter whether you are 17 and go to Mount Royal and can not afford it. Cause if you really can not afford it then maybe you should not be driving in the first place. I think you should just pay it, learn from it, and be done with it, but its your choice.

btw: was this the construction zone on glenmore and chinook?

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:29 PM
haha.. yeah... thanks for all your help man... i appreciate it

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
ho.. it was the construction zone just off country hills Blvd. heading south on deerfoot.

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
that "ho", was supposed to be a "no" :D

ercchry
09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
no problem

ercchry
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
No more RO deals. You get demerits no matter what. You might get them reduced but not wiped off completely.
is that both adult and youth court?

bluetek
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
haha.. yeah... thanks for all your help man... i appreciate it

Thanks for the sarcasm. Appreciate it. I think you are right though that they will not have as much sympathy because you were in a construction zone. If you do try and get it reduced (if you still can?? :dunno: ) all I can say is get there early. I've heard you can get stuck waiting there for quite a while.

Did you even realize you were in a construction zone speeding when you got your ticket?

GreyFox
09-12-2006, 04:52 PM
You don't want to FIGHT the ticket, because he caught you red-handed; no excuses. You want to reduce your ticket. So you go downtown and talk to the justice of peace...who will ask you what you want to do with your ticket. You say plead guilty and they say take a seat around the corner. Then you wait for a while longer (everyone is right, GO EARLY...I went at 10am and it was fucking packed) and talk to an officer. Here is how mine went.

"Hey Tyler, how you doing today?"
"Just fine thanks, how bout' yourself?"
"Not too bad. So I see you got yourself a ticket for running a stop sign?"
"Yep."
"So what happened?...you just rolled through?"
"Yea...a rolling stop I guess you could say"
"Well you can't be stopped and rolling at the same time...which would explain the ticket."
"haha, that's true."
"Here's what I can do for you. I can reduce the demerits from 3 to 2 and reduce the ticket to a violation of traffic signal which will make it only a $174 ticket instead of the $287 you got here. Do you accept that?"
"Good enough for me."

You don't really have to do anything, and you don't have to make any excuses because you're pleading guilty to the charge to begin with.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

jdm_eg6
09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
thanks for all the help guys

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Mine was more along (80 in a 50, non construction)

"Hey Jory, how are you?"
"Fine... a little nervous, yourself?"
"Not bad... So I see you have a speeding ticket"
"Yep..." *scratches head*
"Well here's what I can do... I can reduce the demerits to 2 points, I can't completely remove them, and I can reduce the fine to $174 and change the offense from speeding to disobeying a traffic sign... little less scary for insurance companies... Or I can keep it a speeding violation with 2 demerits and $171 fine... or you can still go to court"
"I think i'll take the first one"
"Alright, sounds good, just wait for the lady in the next room to call you over and she'll handle all the paperwork"

Done and done.