PDA

View Full Version : Looking into an MR2

carter_prelude
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you guys drive your MR2's in the winter. How are they? and does the ground clearance affect it alot? I'll be getting one in Jan. - Feb. and I know i'll want to drive it as soon as its here. *crossing fingers for a dry winter* :thumbsup: any input would be great.

bmeier
09-12-2006, 09:52 PM
ground clearance is ok, unless there are big snow drifts.... dont listen to what anyone says mr2s drive awesome in the winter with the right tires..... do not run sport tires or you are asking for trouble.

That being said you should know that i dont drive mine in winter because they rust out and get rock chips etc.... if you really like the car you wont drive it in winter. the car is also useless for carrying stuff and i am anal about the car being clean lol...

In conclusion you can drive your mr2 in winter and be fine but you might not want to For various reasons. I would rather trash my volvo than my mr2....

Cornfed
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I would really rather not drive my MR-2 in winter but since I got no other car and no money for a beater, I am forced to. I think as long as I keep my car washed frequently the rust won't be much of a problem. The first winter for my baby is coming up soon, hope it doesn't get too bad with snow. From what I've heard from other people, as long as you get proper winter tires you'll be fine.

carter_prelude
09-13-2006, 08:05 AM
proper tires is a given almost, even an AWD Talon in the winter will be shitty without them, i'd be for sure buying some steelies and good winter tires, I was worried about ground clearance, and any rust that trys to poke through will be fixed asap. Or maybe i'll give that any rust electronic device a try...i hear it works from the people who have owned one

bmeier
09-13-2006, 08:07 AM
that electronic rust protector is a piece of junk, the theory behind it is good but it is not practical for cars. i would rather spend the money and get it undercoated properly.

IMO i would rather have a crappy car to beat on for winter and leave the mr2 for nice days. With the winter we had last year you could have easily driven pretty much year round though.

carter_prelude
09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
thats what im hoping for...i don't have neough money for a winter beater tho, next year maybe :thumbsup:

you guys haven't had any issues with the rear end flying out on you yet? It seems like since theres more weight back there the momentum with carry it around...

heavyD
09-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
mr2s drive awesome in the winter with the right tires.....

Lets be objective here as safety rules. An MR2 will never be AWESOME in the winter. Outfitted with winter tires it can be competent but it will never be close to a FWD or AWD vehicle with winter tires.:rolleyes:

bmeier
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
i stick by my statement, the car is awesome because you have so much control, the back end will step out alittle if your not careful but i see that as a positive aspect (more fun) just dont punch the accelerator and you should be fine. I never once got stuck in my old 85 mr2 beater and with good winters it would out accelerate alot of awd cars....

IMO rear drive is awesome in winter i dont drive anything else.... If your not used to rwd then you might not enjoy driving the mr2 as much in winter but personally i think it is awesome.

I have owned 15 cars in my time and to be honest the mr2 was one of the best winter cars i had. If only it was bigger.... lol my new mr2 stays in the garage because it has expensive wheels, too much power, and is too small...

BokCh0y
09-13-2006, 04:07 PM

IMO rear drive is awesome in winter i dont drive anything else.... If your not used to rwd then you might not enjoy driving the mr2 as much in winter but personally i think it is awesome.

:werd:

After driving RWD vehicles for the past 3 years or so I'll never go back to FWD. RWD rocks in winter as long as you take it easy on the accelerator and have a decent set of winter tires.

heavyD
09-13-2006, 06:49 PM
i stick by my statement, the car is awesome because you have so much control, the back end will step out alittle if your not careful but i see that as a positive aspect (more fun) just dont punch the accelerator and you should be fine. I never once got stuck in my old 85 mr2 beater and with good winters it would out accelerate alot of awd cars....

I have owned 15 cars in my time and to be honest the mr2 was one of the best winter cars i had. If only it was bigger.... lol my new mr2 stays in the garage because it has expensive wheels, too much power, and is too small...

No talking shit in this forum please, We dont need that here..thanks :) - Redlyne

bmeier
09-13-2006, 06:57 PM
thats a really intelligent response, i dont do drugs. May i ask how many mr2s you have driven during the winter?

carter_prelude
09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
relax...he owns an SRT-4 hes ignorant by nature

:rofl: jk

sh0ko
09-13-2006, 07:37 PM
derek ur an idiot ;) hehehehe

SafetyNic
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Folks

I drive my MR2 in the winter - it handles great in the snow as long as the front is not plowing it.

I had high performance tires on it and it was terrible but brand new all season radials combined with the weight being over the back end makes for one well behaved snow car.

I will admit that the car does like my heated garage and I try to drive it as seldom as possible in the winter but it handles so much better and is so much warmer than my motorcycle in the snow.

BTW - I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Welcome SafetyNic to the forum. As mentioned any car is driveable in the winter but as Ive mentioned before and so did Bmeier the winters will really kick the crap out of your car. You will more than likely end up needing a new windshield which is $$$ and your car will start to rust in places that you cant see until its too late. Not to mention as well that the cars never came with block heaters and installing and using one would be a huge pain in the ass. With a little bit of snow on the ground the car will get high centered like crazy, scraping the hell out of your undercariage and all the snow that gets buildup in your wheel wells will really take a toll on your rear bumper and inner fender liners as well just because of the small amount of clearance. Do you ever see NSX's in the winter? Take the money youre going to spend on winter tires, a windshield, premium fuel, and god knows what else and buy a $1000 beater. Good luck

thinmyster
10-29-2006, 02:53 AM
[i] Take the money youre going to spend on winter tires, a windshield, premium fuel, and god knows what else and buy a $1000 beater. Good luck [/B]

werd:werd: dont be cheap mines been on stands for a week or two. And because i broke it out early two years ago i need a new windsheild. FUK!!!

stealth
10-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Don't drive it in the winter, catch the bus.

Thats what I did the first year I had my mr2, because I was a poor student. Before I got a beater.

It was worth catching the bus, because my car has no rust and a nice body.

I did have a MK1 as a beater last year, and that was fun as shit, it was awesome, it was pulling cars out of my neighbourhood left right and center, when big snowfalls hit.

thinmyster
10-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by stealth
Don't drive it in the winter, catch the bus.

Thats what I did the first year I had my mr2, because I was a poor student. Before I got a beater.

:werd: I also did this

SafetyNic
10-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Thank you for the welcome, Redlyne_mr2.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Welcome SafetyNic to the forum. As mentioned any car is driveable in the winter but as Ive mentioned before and so did Bmeier the winters will really kick the crap out of your car.

I only drive 8 days a month as I work out of town so I am lucky in that I can be choosy in which type of winter weather I drive it in.

You will more than likely end up needing a new windshield which is $$$ and your car will start to rust in places that you cant see until its too late. Not to mention as well that the cars never came with block heaters and installing and using one would be a huge pain in the ass.

I had a block heater installed when I first moved here from the west coast - whether is snows or not, my MR2 does not like cold. It only cost $150 and that is really no big deal. I have had the car for 5 years so I guess I have also been lucky in that I have never had to replace the windshield even though my insurance would cover that.

With a little bit of snow on the ground the car will get high centered like crazy, scraping the hell out of your undercariage and all the snow that gets buildup in your wheel wells will really take a toll on your rear bumper and inner fender liners as well just because of the small amount of clearance.

I have never had a problem with being high centered in snow - mind you I live on the Red Mile and the city streets are busy and kept very clear of snow, unlike out in the burbs. I guess where you live would make a difference in your decision to drive in the snow or not.

Do you ever see NSX's in the winter? Take the money youre going to spend on winter tires, a windshield, premium fuel, and god knows what else and buy a $1000 beater. Good luck

LOL - I never see NSX's anytime, let alone in the snow. My car is my daily driver (when I am in town) and that means all sorts of weather. I did just buy a second car, however - a 2007 Pontiac Solstice - but not a $1000 beater. I will be driving that all year round too (which means my MR2 will be for sale in a short while - complete with block heater!)

Mr. Carter Prelude was asking so I told him what I do - YMMV which is fine with me. It is nice that we all have differenct opinions. I personally like the way the car handles in the snow.

How do you like the weather today, folks - fine day for a drive...NOT! :nut:

Cornfed
10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
I totally agree, don't drive in snow....I just experienced that first hand just now. When I left the house the ground was fine but on the way home it was all ice/snow. I was sliding like nuts. I tried stopping at a red light and ended up sliding over halfway through so I just went right through it. At another intersection the front end of my car stayed still and my back end just started sliding sideways when I was trying to go. By the time I got 3/4 of the way through the intersection the light turned yellow. Also almost drifted into a curb around a corner near my house. Lesson learned, the MR-2 is never gonna touch snow again, time to take my mom's car :D

thinmyster
10-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Cornfed
I totally agree, don't drive in snow....I just experienced that first hand just now. When I left the house the ground was fine but on the way home it was all ice/snow. I was sliding like nuts. I tried stopping at a red light and ended up sliding over halfway through so I just went right through it. At another intersection the front end of my car stayed still and my back end just started sliding sideways when I was trying to go. By the time I got 3/4 of the way through the intersection the light turned yellow. Also almost drifted into a curb around a corner near my house. Lesson learned, the MR-2 is never gonna touch snow again, time to take my mom's car :D

umm put some proper winter tires on and you'll be fine.

bmeier
10-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Cornfed

lol not being able to stop is not the cars fault. and you need to ease the gas with rwd. IMO all you need is good winter tires, i just slapped some on the volvo today and did some drifting:)

yellowsnow
10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
unless you're really into drifting around and losing grip all the time, the mr2 is gonna be crap in the winter.
even with good winter tires on, the car is light, rwd (does it have traction control even?)... that's some of the worst combinations for winter driving. if you're a decent driver, you can putter around... but you'd always have to be careful.

then again, calgary isn't too bad for winter driving... we have around 7 days of crappy winter weather in this city a year?

Cornfed
10-30-2006, 09:52 AM

lol not being able to stop is not the cars fault. and you need to ease the gas with rwd. IMO all you need is good winter tires, i just slapped some on the volvo today and did some drifting:)

I was going 20-30kph in a 60 zone.

Envitro
10-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I am parking mine over the winter for sure. The fact that it's lowered, has a body kit, stiff suspension, and summer tires aside, I just don't want it to rust out on me.

However, any RWD car with good ground clearance (i.e. stock MR2) and good winter tires should be reliable and fun in the winter.

For example, I just installed some Blizzaks on my dad's Toyota Soarer (RWD, 2.5L Twin Turbo [Supra engine]), and it runs friggin' awesome. Really suprised the crap out of me.
I tried driving it yesterday out of the driveway and couldn't do it with the summer tires that it had on. The wheels spun like crazy, couldn't even move the car. I had to push it into the garage to change the tires.

With the winter tires on, it was amazing. Almost as good as any 4WD car that I've ever owned or driven.

So, good tires are everything!

jepree
12-31-2006, 02:07 AM
i ride an 91 rhd mr2 and also a student i wish i could buy a beater but im broke ass and i picked the car up dirt cheap so!!!

thinmyster
12-31-2006, 03:04 AM
i cant say im a jdm fan because of this reason. i guess im just bitter. but welcome. why dont you come out for meets?