PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that..?

Palmiros
09-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Know a cheaper version of the stuff i'm trying to do.. read below.
So i'm looking to insure an older (88) vehicle, and due to some gov. regulations before i can insure it i need to have a pre-inspection done on it. Which, i had done, today. The following list was given to me, providing that i replace the "trouble" parts, so i can obtain a "insurance certificate" i guess.

Right outer lamp. (easy fix? $2.00)
Left inner park lamp. (easy fix? $2.00)
Right reverse light. (easy fix? $2.00)
2 Lower ball joints (220-400 $ to replace/install?)
Intermediate & 2 rear cables (~$200?)
Rear rotors (Something around $300)

Now, this is what I am thinking. ( I called up Napa Auto Parts and got the prices for the following; the 3 bulbs, ~$10, 2-lower ball joints ~45(for 2?), rear rotors, ~$50 for both. I didn't ask about the wires, as I think i'd better take that one in for the "experts".
Now with the list i have above, do you figure i can "do it myself?" with some(to none) experience, in my garage, or should i take it in to a shop.(something, i'd rather NOT, since this car WAS intened to be a beater, nothing fancy. Keep in mind what i'm trying to do here is the minimum(cheapers way) to get an insurance on this beast.

Do you guys know a way around this? or some other CHEAPER shops?

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
all the lights are easy... as stated... rotors are dooable, as long as you have one of those can tire guides... the other two, not so sure about

01RedDX
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Palmiros
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I went out and got the bulbs, all work fine now.
I don't consider the ball joints/rear rotors to be a priority.
I wouldn't want the wheels to "fold under me" as he said, it's a risk i'm willing to take, as for the rotors, they're not all that bad as described by them ("toasted"), as I just changed the calipers.

The problem remains the e-brake wiring, which i believe is "ceased", which I am going to have to take in, but i'll try to get a deal. I'll ask them to sign the inspection as passed, as I consider there are no problems with the car, and if they do, I'll do that job (the e-break wiring) with them. If not, i'll just get one of them guys from an insurance company to come and "inspect" it.

Pee_Sack
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
you do realize that these inspections are there for a reason, to make it safe for you to drive the vehicle. No one wants you going around with warped/worn out rotors, one day having to make an emergency stop and you rear end someone that cares about thier car.

ninjak84
09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Are you serious?

Originally posted by Palmiros
I went out and got the bulbs, all work fine now.
I don't consider the ball joints/rear rotors to be a priority.

So you're not concerned about hitting something, as long as you can see it?

yeesh.

I'd rather rip around with no lights if I had no brakes. At least then you could fully accept the ignorance of your situation right away, and have some fun! :burnout: :rofl:

This part made me laugh out loud:

Originally posted by Palmiros
I'll ask them to sign the inspection as passed, as I consider there are no problems with the car

Make sure you ask nicely!

Sorry if I seem like a jackass, but inspections and regulations are there for a reason. If you can't have a safe car on the road, you don't get to have a car on the road. The list of repairs you have is extremely minor. If they were major, then I could see your view. Rotors are a small part of the car that make a big difference.

If you still think I'm being a dick, then do it your way. Don't service the rotors, and wait until they ruin your pads and calipers over time. Don't service the ball joints, and wait until your wheels "fold under you". Your car, your choice!

Palmiros
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
you do realize that these inspections are there for a reason, to make it safe for you to drive the vehicle. No one wants you going around with warped/worn out rotors, one day having to make an emergency stop and you rear end someone that cares about thier car.

Yea, i do realize inspections are there for a reason.
What I also realize is that most shops out there will tell you there's a tiny unicorn running around in your exhaust pipe if you let them. I guess i didn't make myself clear. There is nothing wrong with the rotors, although they said there was, and if my ball joints just DROP, it's a risk i'm willing to take, worry not fellow, i won't rear end your riced out ride.

Palmiros
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ninjak84
[B]Are you serious?

When is said
"I don't consider them a priority"
I meant, they are NOT in poor condition, yes, they are used, but if i were to change every bolt/nut that has a scratch/rust on it, i'd be in big trouble. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro safety, and I would not like to get into a collission because of poor judgement. But if you ask me, shops can, and will do everything to get your last penny. Just my 2 cents ;)

FivE.SeveN
09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Rotors are like 20 bucks each.. why not just replace em yourself? :dunno:

HHURICANE1
09-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Any shop that just passes a car that has problems like that is subject to fines from the government in the $10,000+ range, they have their inspection licence pulled and may be shut down altogether, the mechanic who does the inspection can and probably will loose his licence plus recieve a $10,000+ fine and if the vehicle is in an accident the insurance company will void your coverage and you and the inspecting shop are liable for the legal mess that WILL follow. The government and the insurance company don't really care what you think is safe, unless you are a licened mechanic and can prove the road worthyness of the vehicle. Just get the work done. You don't have to let them do the work, you can do it yourself and just get them to re-inspect it to make sure it passes. I have dealt with a shop that thought they could get away with bogus inspections and have seen the aftermath. I have also seen what happens to owners who get the bogus inspection done. The shop was closed down, the customer lost his insurance coverage. Really sure you want to risk it? I'm not trying to be an ass, but this is what can and does happen. The inspection process is for yours and everyone elses protection.

Zero102
09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
You don't consider bad ball joints a priority?...
Who the heck gave you the ability to decide that they are not a safety problem?

I'll give you a hint...... nobody. They ARE a safety problem.

Loose ball joints can slam against the sockets when you hit bumps, and they can then crack the sockets. A cracked socket can fail at any time, and the bottom part of your wheel will now act independantly from the car. Good luck staying in your lane and not hitting anybody......
Not to mention them simply being worn out causes you to lose some precision in the steering of your vehicle. Also this will cause greatly decreased traction and therefore control in the winter (which is coming fast) if you are driving on ice.

So you know what buddy? Instead of coming on here and insulting people and their rides because you are too cheap to properly repair a vehicle you are going to drive, why don't you spend your time reading a f*cking repair manual and fixing your car?!

Warped rotors aren't a big deal. For the most part you aren't really losing braking ability, but simply comfort when braking.
If they are simply too thin then all you are at risk of is warping them, which leads to the above problem.
A siezed e-brake cable is a problem. It can cause your rear brakes to lock on, also giving you some big problems in the winter.

Apparently you have no idea how cars ACTUALLY work, because twice you referred to the e-brake problems as 'wiring'..... this is not an electrical problem, this is a mechanical one.