PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - September 13, 2006: Hydrophobic Windshield Treatments

skidmark
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Hydrophobic Windshield Treatments

If you are like me, the worst time to be driving is at night in the pouring rain. It's like driving into a wet sack of coal! When another vehicle approaches, the glare of their headlights can be blinding.

When driving is a necessity rather than a choice, what's a driver to do? A study by the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute concluded that hydrophobic windshield treatments can result in significantly improved driver visual performance. In the study researchers found that treated glass increased drivers' visual acuity by as much as 34 percent and cut response time to a test target from four seconds to three. (A single second represents a significant margin of safety, since it translates to about 17 meters at 60 km/h.)

There are a number of brands of these coatings on the market and may be found at any auto parts store. They are applied to clean auto glass and then repel water, causing it to bead and stream off making it easier for wipers to keep the windshield clear and for you to see. They also help to repel snow and sleet and make it easier to scrape ice off.

A bottle is relatively inexpensive, costing between $5 and $10. A single treatment seemed to last me about a month and there are many re-applications in the bottle. The only difficulty I found was in cleaning the windshield well before applying it. The maker of the brand that I bought did not answer inquiries about this through their web site.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/current.htm)

Zero102
09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I had a coating like this before on my 951. It was awesome, I could drive down the highway in heavy rain and I didn't need my wipers at all.
Which was very lucky because the one time I did try to use them I found out that they lift so bad at speed that they don't even touch the windshield when I'm driving over 80km/h.
That said, I have no idea what brand the coating was or where to get it, but I do know that I would like more to apply both to my 951 and my golf.

Could somebody here reccomend a particular coating, and where to get it?
I have seen a couple out there and I don't know if all of them really are equal.

HIDStop
09-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Rain-x I believe has something similar to this..

kenny
09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I love my rain-x, I usually apply some before a long roadtrip where I expect rain.

TimG
09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Aquapel is THE best hydrophobic treatment that i've ever used.

I know you can buy it on ebay. Not sure if you can get it locally or not.

FiveFreshFish
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
It's not just good for the windshield; works well on the rear and side windows too.

EK 2.0
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
It's not just good for the windshield; works well on the rear and side windows too.

and polished lips of deep dish wheels haha...

FiveFreshFish
09-19-2006, 06:31 PM
^^^ I'll have to give that a shot. :)

EK 2.0
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
^^^ I'll have to give that a shot. :)

LOL...it repels the water as so you don't get water spots on them...haha...not my idea it was all cocoabrova...so I will give credit where it's due...

TimG
09-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Does that work better than wax?