PDA

View Full Version : 240sx

Speed_Dreams
04-24-2003, 09:02 PM
hey everyone Im thinking seriously into buying a 89-91 240sx but i want to do an S13 front end conversion (cuz i really want a Sileighty :D )and theres this place in the states (Cali) that has all the parts i need for the body work for 1000USD but anyways Im just wondering everyones thaughts and opinions on the 240

I really like the fact that its a FR drivtrain and thats prolly what im looking for most in a car since thats what im use to driving ( 82 Supra , 83 Supra , 92 Astro , 01 Silverado and now an 03 )

Does anyone know of any problems they have?

That same Company also has a couple RB20DET's with Tranny and all the wireing and the ECU for the car aswell. Does anyone know if theres any place around Canada you can get parts like a Clutch or timing chain or other reguar stuff for this kinda engine?

Any help you can give me would be greatly apriciated

Thanks in advance

Drew

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-24-2003, 09:43 PM
not for the rb20, parts are rare up here for that motor, just do the common sr swap its cheaper.

monkeyja
04-24-2003, 10:45 PM
give me the parts number and i try get them for you

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-25-2003, 12:01 AM
get me a sr20 red top factory wiring harness.. 2 if possible uncut

XylathaneGTR
04-25-2003, 12:28 AM
RB20 into SR is a rare ass swap...and not really worth it i think.
Like SpoonEK9 said, SR swap would be best...
Im also really taking a liking to the 240...and i'd suggest for you to get a 91 or up...Thats when they got good.
Im also interested in picking one up...Seen a few around calgary around the 5-7000 mark...
Overall, nice cars for the money, and huge aftermarket capability.

darknight
04-25-2003, 12:57 AM
The RB swaps are starting to get more popular it seems latley. Especially the RB20 swap, and some RB25's. I think if I were to do my project over again I'd probabley invest in one of the RB's for the simple fact that they will beable to achieve more HP with less mods, in the end being cheaper. Like some said theres not alot of support right now with the RB's but that was the same with the SR's not so long ago. However unless your living in the states, I'd straw away from the swap for the simple fact that unless your good at doing swaps like this you might just be getting yourself in over your head. Places like unstable hybrids are doing RB20 swaps for pretty cheap.

Its funny to see everyone wanting a 240 now!!!

Here unstable hybrids link (http://www.unstable-hybrids.com/) Damn reading their write up makes me wish I had a RB20!!!

darknight
04-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Heres another link thats being discussed on another board. Seems like some pretty good info. 240sx forums RB debate (http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4889&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) I wish I wish I only wished I stuck to my guns and bought the RB!!!:( :( :(

XylathaneGTR
04-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Hmmm...RB in a 240? Sounds like a lot more work than a standard SR swap...but, i guess if people wanted to invest all that time and effort into it...
hah...I want a 240

Speed_Dreams
04-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Isn't the RB the same engine as in the japanese Fairlady??? while i was reaserching it i thoguth that it said thats what was in them :confused: I dunno its a ways away im just a poor white boy without rich parents and months take 2 long to pass before i get my paychecks im just doing reasherch cuz im tired of buying $1000 cars every 6 months

but thank you for everything and all your help :thumbsup:

you guys kick ass

XylathaneGTR
04-25-2003, 06:42 PM
The Fairlady Z uses the VG30 on the Z32, and the Z33 uses the VQ35. Fairlady is JDM 300zx.
RB = Skyline.

darknight
04-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Sounds like you shouldn't be getting yourself involved in any swap with any 240 any time soon.

Speed_Dreams
04-25-2003, 08:02 PM
it won't be soon

maybe over the winter i dunno i have looked on Ebay and places and they are selling SR's for like 6 grand US and Im hoping to not spend more then 5 on the car i dunno i gotta lotta thinking 2 do i might just buy another Supra and Turbo it and harass mustanges and Camaros like all the other FI foke

Zephyr
04-25-2003, 09:20 PM
wut is this shop in cali u talking about? i been shoping around JDM engine swap shops lately for my 240.

XylathaneGTR
04-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Unstable Hybrids... They are like, one of the stateside front runners in 240 swaps...Since your down in Cali, Zephyr, i'd suggest you check them out...
SpeedDreams: UnstableHybrids has engines going for like, 4...And Yokos up in teh NorthEast had an s13 redtop w/ ECU for 3,800 Canadian...You just have to look around.
I wouldn't suggest ebay tho.

Speed_Dreams
04-25-2003, 11:14 PM
http://www.spriso.com/ is the site that i am getting all my prices and info from

They don't say where they are located but with one of the S13 front end conversions they say for Local Bay area Cali pick up only so im just assuming that thats where they are

Speed_Dreams
04-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Unstable Hybrids... They are like, one of the stateside front runners in 240 swaps...Since your down in Cali, Zephyr, i'd suggest you check them out...
SpeedDreams: UnstableHybrids has engines going for like, 4...And Yokos up in teh NorthEast had an s13 redtop w/ ECU for 3,800 Canadian...You just have to look around.
I wouldn't suggest ebay tho.

Dude you are the King!!!!!

Zephyr
04-25-2003, 11:40 PM
umm is there a site to this "unstable hybrids"? i need to find a shop that knows how to pass a SR for emissions

eludeu
04-26-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Well there might be a small problem being that unstable hybrids is located in Georgia and Zephyr would have to travel to (basically) the other side of the US. Maybe you should check your info before you rattle out answers.

XylathaneGTR
04-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Hmmm...
Well then...Prolly a lot of other places in SouthernCal that will do swaps like that...

jdmakkord
04-27-2003, 12:55 PM
motorex

darknight
04-27-2003, 01:04 PM
You can not have a sr leagally pass emissions.

Zephyr
04-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by eludeu

Well there might be a small problem being that unstable hybrids is located in Georgia and Zephyr would have to travel to (basically) the other side of the US. Maybe you should check your info before you rattle out answers.

yea i dont think i'm gona drive that far anytime soon

i heard u can, i asked around, my dad recently took his car for a emissions test and ist a 10 year old car and its required to go to a test only area, it passed and all they did was check if the cat was working for the emissions test, and if it passes the emissions it also passes the smog (california has a fucked up system). i heard the SR can pass with a stock or high flow cat, and it will pass smog, i asked a few shops because japan has strict smog regulations. its the visual part that it will fail, but my dad said that they dont give a visual inspection

motorex doesn't do it, it was just a rumor that u can be cerfied by them, but due to crappy california regulations, the engine must be installed by them as well or the certifications are null and void. thus that will cost a pretty penny, and motorex has decided its not worth the money