PDA

View Full Version : deployed airbags

marko polo
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
im currently in the process of buyinf a 2002 gti. the owner says that the airbags had deployed with the first owner without being in an accident ( says same thing on carfax).

has anyone heard of this happen or is this a load of bs?

teggypimp95
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I have heard cases where they go off very easyily. Never on there own but who knows? is the interior wrecked? usually the air bags scratch the interior to hell.

marko polo
09-14-2006, 05:44 PM
the guy had to replace a seat, mouldings, and dash

B20EF
09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Mine deployed in civic because i hit a rock about the size of a softball. It just hit the bottom of the rebar so hard it blew my airbags. The mechanics said theres no way it should have happened, but it did, so maybe same thing for your car.

Weapon_R
09-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Find a different car.

marko polo
09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Find a different car.

looking for a used car in calgary is driving me insane, every damn car i look at has some sort of flaw, this one doesnt seem like its to serious though so ill prolly go with it.

if anyone has a gti under 100 k and will take 16 500 for it pm me.

carter_prelude
09-14-2006, 06:55 PM
My friends dads air bags in his ford truck went off while he was in the house and it was parked running outside...kinda scarey if they ever went off like that on the highway just at random

Mitsu3000gt
09-15-2006, 08:04 AM
That would scare the sh*t out of me if i was just sitting in my car and my air bags went BOOM. On a more serious note, I hope nobody is sitting too close to their steering wheel when these things go off, they can kill you if your not sitting properly.

Zero102
09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Wait, front air bags or side air bags?

There are reports on TDIClub and VWVortex of the curtain airbags deploying when you go over large pot holes. Apparently the sensors are a wee bit too sensitive.

88CRXGUY
09-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Yes this can happen, it states in your car manuals aswell. It states that if for example you hit a curb at a low speed your airbag could deploy. I'm happy its never happened to me(knock on wood), but it can happen.

Now to the person that is looking for a VW, when it comes to this car I would leave it alone. Save yourself the hassle and the worry and look for something else.

Weapon_R
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by marko polo

looking for a used car in calgary is driving me insane, every damn car i look at has some sort of flaw, this one doesnt seem like its to serious though so ill prolly go with it.

if anyone has a gti under 100 k and will take 16 500 for it pm me.

If all your budget permits is a car with an obviously dangerous flaw in it you should either try and find a different car or increase your budget. It may have been a freak accident but if an airbag deploys while you're driving you risk serious injury or death.