PDA

View Full Version : Tips for removing linoleum?

szw
09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Any tips? I am ripping up the lineum in a room (underneath is plywood).

I am just tearing shit up right now and it is a pain. The adhesive is sticking and i have to slowly pick it out. I tried using a scraper but it is a bitch because of the plywood underneath it.

Also, any suggestions on what to cover it with? I am not a handyman so something hard to screw up but looks nice would be ideal. I was thinking that laminate fake hardwood shit? Replacing it with lineoum again just seems like a bitch but maybe it isn't as hard as I think it is. I'd be worried about keeping everything smooth.

I don't care much about long-term life of the floor as I am just getting the house ready to sell.

CRXguy
09-14-2006, 07:25 PM
What room are you ripping out? Sounds like a kitchen?

Weapon_R
09-14-2006, 07:26 PM
You should have just left the lino and covered it with ceramic tile. You can even use hardwood over lino if its smooth. A monkey can tile if you plan properly.

szw
09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
It is a sunroom that a family friend built. It is attached to the kitchen (which is tiled) by big glass sliding doors (which originally lead to the backyard deck).

I didn't wnat to leave it because we had pets there, and yea, it stinks. My plan was to remove it and pressure wash/steam bath/bleach/hotpot/hotbox/whatever to get the smell out.

hussein
09-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Agreed. If the lino is really stuck and isn't loose its easier to just tile overtop!!

Good luck.

Nufy
09-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I used an adhesive remover that I got from Rona what I tiled by basement bathroom.

I can post the name when I get home or you could call them and tell em what you want.

Just cut 2-3 inch strips into the lino and let the remover soak for a half hour or so.

I then used a scraper to scrape it off.

Smells like shit though. FYI.

SinisterProbeGt
09-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Nufy
I used an adhesive remover that I got from Rona what I tiled by basement bathroom.

I can post the name when I get home or you could call them and tell em what you want.

Just cut 2-3 inch strips into the lino and let the remover soak for a half hour or so.

I then used a scraper to scrape it off.

Smells like shit though. FYI.

Best way right here.
vent the space well

MackDawg
09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Get a Shitty old close iron and heat small patchs of the floor up which will warm up the glue so that you can peal the lino off way easier.

peace

Marc.

dankish1
09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
lol there really isnt much for easy ways.
u can try the shit previously metioned and thats about it.
a few years ago i was doing carpet and lino and its not easy shit.
i would NOT try and put lino in your self because it is wayyyy harder then it looks. it takes alot of work and its really hard to get it perfect with no air bubbles. i would put laminte over it because it would be easiest to do with an uneven floor.