PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca University

max_boost
04-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Is anyone currently enrolled at this institution? Or know of anyone?

At the end of my Business Administration program (will finish in Dec/03) I have the option to transfer to U of L (3.0GPA) or Athabasca University to complete my degree.

U of L is offering night classes in Calgary but because of the limited time slots, it will take forever to complete the 20 courses required for graduation.

I don’t think there is a GPA requisite for Athabasca and you carry out the courses online. A benefit of this is that you can start your courses at the beginning of any month and if you like, you can complete either the 10 or 20 courses to attain your degree. The extra courses are mostly electives/options. So given that, it only makes sense for me to go the 10 route and be finished around this time next year!

Ok, with that said, who has experience with this type of program? Or is it suggested to go through the traditional classroom learning?

Thanks

buh_buh
04-24-2003, 11:16 PM
You can do University of Athabasca courses at Mount Royal College. That is if you would rather do sit down classes rather than doing it online.

Weapon_R
04-24-2003, 11:21 PM
University of Athabasca is a waste of time. It's not a highly credited institution, and courses are all done online. Don't bother.

max_boost
04-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
University of Athabasca is a waste of time. It's not a highly credited institution, and courses are all done online. Don't bother. Aside from the online courses, can you justify your comment?

max_boost
04-24-2003, 11:33 PM
24000+ students

Accreditation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authority to Grant Degrees
Athabasca University is a publicly funded institution of the Province of Alberta that reports to the government through the Minister of Learning. Through the Universities Act, the government authorizes Athabasca University Governing Council to grant degrees and govern its own affairs. Members of Athabasca University Governing Council are appointed under orders in council of the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accreditation in the United States
In June 2002 the University was awarded candidacy status for US accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. More details are available.

Memberships
Athabasca University is a full member of the

Association of Commonwealth Universities
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
Canadian Association for Distance Education
Canadian Association for Graduate Studies
Canadian Virtual University
Global University Alliance
Inter-American Distance Education Consortium (CREAD)
International Council for Open and Distance Education
Western Governors University (Participant)
World Alliance in Distance Education

Weapon_R
04-24-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
24000+ students

Accreditation

Authority to Grant Degrees
Athabasca University is a publicly funded institution of the Province of Alberta that reports to the government through the Minister of Learning. Through the Universities Act, the government authorizes Athabasca University Governing Council to grant degrees and govern its own affairs. Members of Athabasca University Governing Council are appointed under orders in council of the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.

Accreditation in the United States
In June 2002 the University was awarded candidacy status for US accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. More details are available.

Memberships
Athabasca University is a full member of the

Association of Commonwealth Universities
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
Canadian Association for Distance Education
Canadian Association for Graduate Studies
Canadian Virtual University
Global University Alliance
Inter-American Distance Education Consortium (CREAD)
International Council for Open and Distance Education
Western Governors University (Participant)
World Alliance in Distance Education

Wow, what an achievement. :confused:

DeVry has similar powers in the ability to grant degrees too.

The University of Athabasca is correspondence-based. Therefore, you are not able to apply much of your knowledge in a classroom setting, nor are you able to consult with other students/professors. There is no ability to conduct lab controlled experiments, as much of the time you are learning from a computer screen.

On top of that, Athabasca is hardly recognized here as a reputable University.

All translates to a waste of time. Go to the U of L, the university experience is much more than just learning your material and writing tests. It pretty much becomes your life, and sitting in front of a computer screen is not what you want to do for the next few years of your life.

5.9 R/T
04-24-2003, 11:47 PM
I hear you can just send 100 bucks away and within 6-8 weeks you'll have a degree at your door. That would be the easiest way, but in life the easiest way is not always the best way.

speedracer
04-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I hear you can just send 100 bucks away and within 6-8 weeks you'll have a degree at your door. That would be the easiest way, but in life the easiest way is not always the best way.
$100.. The one I know of cost $12.95 and they even have a phone number for the employer to call... hehehe

Max:
Athabasca is good if
(1) Have a letter from Sait or whatever stating that you are taking the course to complete your degree. (withou this at any point the powers that be can say no to the Athabasca or UofL)

(2) You have friends taking the same course otherwise you will slack off and not hand anything in.

I've had friends that took courses only to not get credit since UC decided they would not accept it even if it is in the transfer guide.

max_boost
04-25-2003, 12:17 AM
I do agree with you that student/instructor interaction is extremely crucial for learning development. And considering that most organizations are moving towards a group/team work base, I suppose class room sessions are still the best way to go. But frankly, I don't really care for interface dealings. Nor do I care for the University experience, I just want my degree ASAP!

So back to the question at hand, anyone have experiences with this institution?

Just considering my options

max_boost
04-25-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

$100.. The one I know of cost $12.95 and they even have a phone number for the employer to call... hehehe

Max:
Athabasca is good if
(1) Have a letter from Sait or whatever stating that you are taking the course to complete your degree. (withou this at any point the powers that be can say no to the Athabasca or UofL)

(2) You have friends taking the same course otherwise you will slack off and not hand anything in.

I've had friends that took courses only to not get credit since UC decided they would not accept it even if it is in the transfer guide.

Yah it is a direct transfer program, only reason I am considering Athabasca is because I save at least 1 year from the program. I want to stay in Calgary and continue to work while I am in school. I don't know if I can handle 2 years of night classes because that is the only way if I don't go down to Lethbridge.

I am determined to do well! haha
Wasted enough time/money already.

James
04-25-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

hook me up!.i want a $13 degree!....can i be a Lawyer?
:rofl:....ahh the gimics out there.

Davan
04-25-2003, 09:20 AM
*ahem* Excuse the plug.......

Hey Sam, enroll at Athabasca, and take the courses through Mount Royal College. We are trying to become our own University, and forsee that happening within the next 3-5 years. With any luck, that will happen during your final year and you can walk away with a degree from Mount Royal University! :D

2.2vtec
04-25-2003, 11:22 AM
i'm somewhat in the same poistion of max boost. I'm currently in Mount royal doing the commerce transfer and i'm not too sure a 3.3-3.4 gpa will get me in the U of C. It's the worst year to transfer I here from people at the U. My other options is to go to the U of A or U of L or do a double major with economics at the U. I was told by many counsellers that it's better to have a degree from a good university then a bad one. I've heard alot of people saying U of L is stupid and it would be hard to get a job compared to someone with a U of C degree. If anything dont' go do interent school go to U of L.

Anyone have more info on gpa's for U of C admission to management?

mwmhong
04-25-2003, 12:18 PM
I did my degree at U of C, but INDIVIDUAL COURSES taken through U of Athabasca are NOT totally worthless, though the degrees themselves might be. :rofl:

I took supposedly the toughest accounting course in my program through Athabasca; Acct451 as a transfer equivalent of Acct443 and I got an A- which is kind of strange. :confused:

It's nice because you can do the stuff whenever you want, and if you are driven enough you can blow through it VERY quick.
I was working in the day while I did some of the course at night.
I got the textbook/paper version of the course, because I don't like staring at the 'puter, it hurts my eyes.:nut:

I did a cert. at SAIT that normally takes 1 year of night classes. Instead, I did the correspondence method (paper) and blew through it in a few months. What a joke.

A buddy of mine did Athabasca too, but he did it because he hated the instructor and stated that as his reason on is 'request for a letter of permission'.
With this 'reason', the faculty granted him permission, LOL.

MerfBall
04-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
i'm somewhat in the same poistion of max boost. I'm currently in Mount royal doing the commerce transfer and i'm not too sure a 3.3-3.4 gpa will get me in the U of C. It's the worst year to transfer I here from people at the U. My other options is to go to the U of A or U of L or do a double major with economics at the U. I was told by many counsellers that it's better to have a degree from a good university then a bad one. I've heard alot of people saying U of L is stupid and it would be hard to get a job compared to someone with a U of C degree. If anything dont' go do interent school go to U of L.

Your counsellor is right, it is better to have a degree from a well known institution than one that is less known. Why? Because today the competition is fierce and without the experience you have to rely heavily on your education. The type educational institution you attended reflects quite a bit on the type of person you are.

Originally posted by mwmhong
I did my degree at U of C, but INDIVIDUAL COURSES taken through U of Athabasca are NOT totally worthless, though the degrees themselves might be. :rofl:

There are quite a few courses you can take through Athabasca that is transferable to University, see your local registrar for exact details.

Max Boost, I was thinking of doing my MBA through Athabasca as the idea of doing it on the side via correspondance was very enticing. But I decided that I am going to go through the U of C instead. Why, because Haskayne School of Business is well known in the business community, so the reputation of the school helps alot.

If your spending the money to do the schooling, do it so it helps you. Not all post secondary educations are equal, this reflects well into your pay cheque and these days even your chance of employment.

While this may not have been true 3-4 years ago, today it is a much different story. Where you get your degree is important, work experience is also a plus, so those of you thinking of jumping out without internship so that you can finish early. I strongly recommend you reconsider. Those internships are key to getting you a job the day you walk out the door with that piece of paper in a $100 frame :D

Altezza
04-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Sam, I can tell you that I've been closely involved with hiring at my company for quite a few of the positions we've filled. We look at where the degree was attained more so than you would think. I would highly suggest that you make every effort to attain a degree from a "better" and more well-known institution (ie, a real University) rather than online/correspondence/college.

There's already enough competition in the University level where people of "lower" University degrees are often rejected for jobs. Atleast put yourself into contention with a University degree from a more recognized institution.

max_boost
04-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys!
If I could do everything over again, I would have worked harder during my first two years at U of C.
I still have a few more months to decide so I guess I'll seek some more advice first!

MerfBall
04-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Thanks for all the great info guys!
If I could do everything over again, I would have worked harder during my first two years at U of C.
I still have a few more months to decide so I guess I'll seek some more advice first!

Dude, I said the same thing when my 4th year was rolling around. I don't know how long you have been doing this, but let me offer you a piece of advice that helped me get through it, and I think it worked out really well in the end.

It's only a couple more years. Better 2 years, than 30 years in a dead end job going nowhere, with no hope of advancing. Take your learnings from the first two years and apply it. Do it smart and finish it off properly and I assure you will be rewarded well.

Weapon_R
04-25-2003, 02:46 PM
It's not too late to come back to the U of C man...

To tell you the truth, the worst years are the first couple. After that, you begin to realize that it isn't worth fucking around, and things change for the better.

mwmhong
04-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec

The rules have changed, they now admit kids from high school DIRECTLY into management without going through the 2 years of pre-management. It just isn't fair to those who had to go through the 2 years because there are less seats for them.

From: http://www.haskayne.ucalgary.ca/bcomm/bcomm_faq.html#numberofadmits

How many people are admitted into Year 1 & Year 3?
We admit the following number of students:
Year 1 - 400
Year 3 - 160

So the cutoff is the lowest mark of the top 160 applicants in 3rd year. When I got in, there were 100% 3rd year slots and the GPA was around a 3.4. My sister is trying to get in (she's Year 3). It's gonna be ugly. :(

2.2vtec
04-25-2003, 03:03 PM
what would you guys do in my situation posted above? I like finance and if don't get in the faculity at UofC should i take it at U of L or take econ, at U of C and plan to double major with finance? They say next year there will be a gaurantee admission again for management at the U of C....fuck what do i do?????:dunno: :dunno:

max_boost
04-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Its too late to go back to the U of C unless I plan to do a second degree. I'm just going to finish my business degree somewhere else and perhaps try to go for my MBA. But like all things, one thing at a time! I'm pushing myself pretty hard, evident by cramming my business diploma from 2 years into 1.

And 2.2vtec, my buddy is completing his Economics/Marketing degree at Lethbridge right now, he loves it! You should look into all your options.

Gondi Stylez
04-26-2003, 08:49 PM
yo this is kinda off topic but i was juss wondering....

im planning on taking the 1-2 year transfer program at MRC in sciences then goin to UofC to finish my degreee...

ive heard that sometimes the transfer programs at MRC will not be accepted at the UofC even if u have a good GPA?? is this true or has anyone taken the bachelor of science then gone on to UofC for the last 3 years (since the first year is juss general) w/ or w.o problmes!!

thanx!!

haha sorry max!!

Weapon_R
04-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
yo this is kinda off topic but i was juss wondering....

im planning on taking the 1-2 year transfer program at MRC in sciences then goin to UofC to finish my degreee...

ive heard that sometimes the transfer programs at MRC will not be accepted at the UofC even if u have a good GPA?? is this true or has anyone taken the bachelor of science then gone on to UofC for the last 3 years (since the first year is juss general) w/ or w.o problmes!!

thanx!!

haha sorry max!!

Priority is given to students that have attended UofC before transfer students.

And practice spelling "just" before you enroll or you won't be there for too long...

Gondi Stylez
04-27-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Priority is given to students that have attended UofC before transfer students.

And practice spelling "just" before you enroll or you won't be there for too long...

haha thanks weapon_r

ye that was my computer talk.. looks like im going to have to change my "informal" talk to more "formal" if i want to be in in university!! (JUST like u):thumbsup: