PDA

View Full Version : Frickin' cyclists...

fast95pony
09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Just a rant....

Every morning now I see idiots on bicyles riding on the roads wearing dark clothing,no lights , no reflective gear and pitch black ! They ride in all directions,some with the traffic flow,some against,some totally ignore traffic signals.It's just a matter of time before one gets killed. I wish the cops would ticket these idiots..

Proboscis
09-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Which part of the city by the way? I know when i'm workin durning the early morning hours doing my runs I find the worst are downtown, mostly bums on supercycles or younger drunk guys needing a ride home or some shit after leaving the bar/club, (usually on a stolen supercycle) :burnout:

marko polo
09-15-2006, 01:59 AM
its worse in springbank, these h-core cyclists dressed in their tight fag suits think they own the fucking road. These people will ride in packs and will be like 3 bikers wide cause for some reason they cant ride single file causing cars to go over into the other lane to avoid them which could get very dangerous. this shit is gonna cause an accident and someone is gonna die, especially on springbank road where the speed limit is 80 and most people drive a 100, actually come to think of it i think there already has been a couple accidents and i think someone died. dont wanna sound like an ass but im tired of these bikers treating these roads like its tour de france.

these bikers are worse than street racers, maybe not but they prolly cause more accidents.

fast95pony
09-15-2006, 03:26 AM
Most of the cyclists I see are around the airport early in the morning. The worst part is along the service road. There's no lights and it's really difficult to see them.

Proboscis
09-15-2006, 04:26 AM
I hope this ain't one of the bikes in question.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/proboscis100/DSC01185-2.jpg

Cheeze
09-15-2006, 06:18 AM
yes, the bikers probably do cause more accidents than street racers, but street racers are more popular to get fingered for it

:thumbsup:

frozenrice
09-15-2006, 06:39 AM
What pisses me off the most about cyclists is when they ride the shoulder of the road. When the shoulder is wide enough, instead of riding to the middle or right side of the shoulder, they always HAVE to ride on the line on the left side of the shoulder forcing cars to move over into the oncoming lane to avoid them. This is espcecially scary out on highway 8.

rc2002
09-15-2006, 08:00 AM
The guys who ride like idiots will get what's coming to them sooner or later. Car >> Bike if there's an accident.

Tuner1
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by marko polo
its worse in springbank, these h-core cyclists dressed in their tight fag suits think they own the fucking road. These people will ride in packs and will be like 3 bikers wide cause for some reason they cant ride single file causing cars to go over into the other lane to avoid them which could get very dangerous. this shit is gonna cause an accident and someone is gonna die, especially on springbank road where the speed limit is 80 and most people drive a 100, actually come to think of it i think there already has been a couple accidents and i think someone died. dont wanna sound like an ass but im tired of these bikers treating these roads like its tour de france.

these bikers are worse than street racers, maybe not but they prolly cause more accidents.

Get a life. You do sound like an ass. Why would you call purpose-built cycling clothing "fag suits"? Two reasons I can think of A) You are a homophobe, and B) You have never participated in a long road bike ride to understand why this clothing is beneficial. Do you ski in jeans :banghead:

If the speed limit is 80 on said roads and "most people drive a 100" I can see where the problems begin! Is your life so important that you can't slow down for ten seconds and wait for a safe time to pass a group of cyclists who are out for a nice ride in the country, doing no harm to anyone and not polluting our world like the car you are driving in?

This city has a serious attitude problem towards cyclists and as a resident of Calgary who drives AND rides on the roads I can assure you that 99% of the time the bike/car incidents are caused by the car, not the bike. Of course there are bad apples in the local cycling group, but the number of careless, reckless, clueless and hopeless drivers in this city far outnumber the odd poor cyclist.

Since this is an automotive forum I don't expect to see many unbiased opinions on this subject - perhaps you could try posting a similar rant on a cycling forum to see what the cyclists think of all the brilliant and perfect drivers on our roads :rolleyes:

Rob

codetrap
09-15-2006, 10:08 AM

nadroj23
09-15-2006, 10:08 AM
oh how i wish these fuckers would get ticketed for the stupid shit that they do. i got hit by a courier a little while ago i couldnt believe this shit when it happened....... i was on 10th ave by 14th street trying to turn onto 14th im looking left casue there is a gap i start to creep forward and this bikes comes outta nowhere and hits me......he gets mad and tells me to get the fuck outta there.....haha then i laughed and left. the thing is, is that his bike was licenced which means he has to be on the road and not a sidewalk ( By Law he has too be on the road) which is where he came from. anybody that drives this road knows that its a sidwalk under the bridge. second he didnt get off his bike to cross the street which by law he has too because if he doesnt he is a moving vichele and not a pedestrian.......so this kinda ruined my day back when it happened all because these guys get away with this shit all the time. so ya i fuckin hate cyclists that go on your right side when you tryin to turn right because they have the right away????? fuck that shit i think that bikes should have to stop at greens lights and walk there fuckin bikes across any street...simple as that. would cause i lot less problem and you wouldnt have these motherfuckers comin outta nowhere........

my 2 cents and a little bit rant

rockym20
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Being a cyclist myself (although I mountain bike, not road bike), I totally understand why some of the guys ride the way they do. As they are considered a vehicle, they have full right of way in the lane they are in, but few drivers give them this. I also know someone who was hit by a semi while riding in the shoulder. The only reason he didn't die was because he was is amazing shape at the time. So, I have no problem with them riding in a way to protect theirselves. Its not different from someone on a motorcycle, just that they are going much slower.

However, I do have a major beef with people riding on sidewalks and expecting the same consideration that pedestrians get. And the idiots who don't follow the rules of the road (which includes most of the downtown couriers) deserve to get hit.

Billet
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
airhorn works wonders

:bigpimp:

Tuner1
09-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Billet
airhorn works wonders

:bigpimp:

Tough guy huh? :thumbsdow Good thing the world doesn't have too many people that share your attitude.

Rob

03ozwhip
09-15-2006, 10:47 AM
they really piss me off too because of the fact that i have seen many of these guys riding IN the lane on Blackfoot and ive even been on Deerfoot and some guy was riding in a lane. thats what paths are for, not for main highways and routes that are already a crawl for rush hour. also, if i have to wait in a big traffic jam why dont they have to wait behind me if they have the same rights as a vehicle? i dont have anything against cyclists, but i hate this shit, its hypocritical that we obey the rules but they dont. and thats MY rant.

dankish1
09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Proboscis
Which part of the city by the way? I know when i'm workin durning the early morning hours doing my runs I find the worst are downtown, mostly bums on supercycles or younger drunk guys needing a ride home or some shit after leaving the bar/club, (usually on a stolen supercycle) :burnout:

lol the homeless guys on the suppercycles are crack dealers.
i was working downtown for a few weeks and we would watch them in the alley behind our job site. they would come to this reastrunt and reload then they were off selling more. the one guy stoped right infront of us and took a hit off his crack pipe.
one day 4 bike cops came rippin around the corrner and saw one of the guys they ditched their bikes and arrested him. it was sweet.

5hift
09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1

Get a life. You do sound like an ass. Why would you call purpose-built cycling clothing "fag suits"? Two reasons I can think of A) You are a homophobe, and B) You have never participated in a long road bike ride to understand why this clothing is beneficial. Do you ski in jeans :banghead:

If the speed limit is 80 on said roads and "most people drive a 100" I can see where the problems begin! Is your life so important that you can't slow down for ten seconds and wait for a safe time to pass a group of cyclists who are out for a nice ride in the country, doing no harm to anyone and not polluting our world like the car you are driving in?

This city has a serious attitude problem towards cyclists and as a resident of Calgary who drives AND rides on the roads I can assure you that 99% of the time the bike/car incidents are caused by the car, not the bike. Of course there are bad apples in the local cycling group, but the number of careless, reckless, clueless and hopeless drivers in this city far outnumber the odd poor cyclist.

Since this is an automotive forum I don't expect to see many unbiased opinions on this subject - perhaps you could try posting a similar rant on a cycling forum to see what the cyclists think of all the brilliant and perfect drivers on our roads :rolleyes:

Rob

You sound like one of the biking fags marko polo was talking about that hold up traffic in Springbank. Living out in Springbank I have to dodge these fools daily. On a narrow country road these guys ride 3 wide sometimes oblivious to traffic around them. I remember a while back a lot of local residents got together and got these signs put up asking riders to stay in single file and to stay close to the shoulder of the road. All the signs were spray painted "no" and vandalized or pulled down within a few months while all the other signs were untouched. The problem with cyclists is more than a few aggresive drivers not wanting to slow down.

Tuner1
09-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
You sound like one of the biking fags marko polo was talking about that hold up traffic in Springbank. Living out in Springbank I have to dodge these fools daily. On a narrow country road these guys ride 3 wide sometimes oblivious to traffic around them. I remember a while back a lot of local residents got together and got these signs put up asking riders to stay in single file and to stay close to the shoulder of the road. All the signs were spray painted "no" and vandalized or pulled down within a few months while all the other signs were untouched. The problem with cyclists is more than a few aggresive drivers not wanting to slow down.

I have no idea why you people insist on using the word "fags" all the time when discussing cyclists. Does it somehow empower you to throw a sexual slur into your post?

Anyway, on to more important things, if the law states that cyclists must ride single-file on roads then obviously this law should be obeyed and I have never suggested otherwise. However, as both a driver AND cyclist, my firsthand experience has shown that the drivers in Calgary are far more often the offenders when it comes to sharing the roads.

If anyone cares to add any interesting data points or thoughts I'd love to participate, otherwise I will leave the ranters to their own devices :rolleyes:

Rob Leech

P.S. Why don't more people sign off their posts with their real name?

seer_claw
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM

I have no idea why you people insist on using the word 'fags' all the time when discussing cyclists. Does it somehow empower you to throw a sexual slur into your post?

Anyway, on to more important things, if the law states that cyclists must ride single-file on roads then obviously this law should be obeyed and I have never suggested otherwise. However, as both a driver AND cyclist, my firsthand experience has shown that the drivers in Calgary are far more often the offenders when it comes to sharing the roads.

If anyone cares to add any interesting data points or thoughts I'd love to participate, otherwise I will leave the ranters to their own devices :rolleyes:

Rob Leech

Because then people might actually know who they are and realize that they are extremely shallow. Like the gay comments when he sees people in spandex. Basically a person with not enough self confidence to wear them let alone realize the advantages of it.

I agree with you on the fact that people should ride single file where required to and on the Springbank road its just a good idea.

I've spent a lot of time riding a bike, I used to put over 10,000km's a year on my bikes (Both on and off road). I tell you there is a reason why people ride beside each other. Ignorant people tend to come way too close to riders in single file, its not overly easy to keep your bike in a straight line when you have a vehicle pushing air past you at 100km/h. Especially when they are millimeters from your handlebars. Relax when you see riders give them room and take your time getting around them, are you actually in that much of a hurry that 5 min is going to kill you?

vdhd
09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm one of those people who live near Springbank - and I ride almost everyday. Thanks for keeping an eye out for us while we "block traffic" in our *** suits.

You'll notice the sign on the road (lower springbank) that says something like "Cyclists and Motorists share the road". The keyword is share. If the shoulder is full of gravel you can't expect a cyclist to ride the shoulder the entire time. You should try cycling sometime to understand what I mean, it's good exercise and might do you some good.

rs

Manifesto55
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by vdhd
I'm one of those people who live near Springbank - and I ride almost everyday. Thanks for keeping an eye out for us while we "block traffic" in our *** suits.

You'll notice the sign on the road (lower springbank) that says something like "Cyclists and Motorists share the road". The keyword is share. If the shoulder is full of gravel you can't expect a cyclist to ride the shoulder the entire time. You should try cycling sometime to understand what I mean, it's good exercise and might do you some good.

rs

By Law cars/cyclists share the road. Also by Law a cyclist is required to ride as far to the right of the road as possible and in cases where the shoulder is paved, ride on the shoulder.
If I was driving and bikers were strung three across the road, I'd have a right to be annoyed. Similarly, If I was biking and am as far right as I can be but someone still blasts an airhorn or tries to crowd be off the road, I'd be pissed.
Some drivers are idiots, but so are some bikers. Generally, anyone who thinks they're king of the road, regardless of what they're riding is a douche.

CivicTunr
09-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Manifesto55

these bikers are worse than street racers, maybe not but they prolly cause more accidents

fucking genius, cant you read a sign on springbank, it says 60km/hr, and the reason is cause dumb idiots go 20 over the limit and hit a biker, its kind of annoying when they ride side by side, but most dont. and share the road, speeding will only save you about 10 seconds,

essential.mix
09-15-2006, 06:33 PM
wtf is wrong with the sidewalk... isnt that what its there for?

Stay off my roads and we'll get along....

:poosie:

BlackArcher101
09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by essential.mix
wtf is wrong with the sidewalk... isnt that what its there for?

Stay off my roads and we'll get along....

:poosie:

Well, up here in Edmonton bikers cannot ride on the sidewalks. There are very few areas where a bike is allowed on the sidewalk.

Calgarian
09-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Here here to Rob Leech for defending common sense.

Ian Andrews
Sales Manager
T&T Honda

CSMRX7
09-19-2006, 08:55 AM
I wasn't going to post in this thread but I have to.

I can't believe the punks posting in this thread. If you knew anything about the rules of the road you would understand that a cyclist has as much right to a lane as a car. Now they do need to follow the rules of the road, and some don't. But most of you speed and who knows what else so you can't really judge.

If a cyclist is on a road with no posted signs stating no bikes then they have the same rights as a car. If you don't like it change the laws.

I have been hit twice on my bike. Once sideswiped by a semi, and then a hit and run by a truck. You hit a cyclist and you'll go to jail, its simple. We can not ride on most shoulders do to gravel and poorly maintained shoulders. And we usually can not hug the white line. Its kinda tough with wind and cars flying past.

All I can ask is that you take the 5 seconds to slow down, give the cyclist enough room and pass safely.

nadroj23
09-19-2006, 01:06 PM
^^^ i agree with you cyclists are a moving vichele hense having to get off your bike to cross the street. i try to be as courtious as possible when it comes to bikers on the road one TYPE of biker i have no patience for are couries........if you are one sorry but with my experience which can be read in my post a little ways up thats couries tend not to obey the rules that are in place for stupid not to happen......if i biker is in my lane i dont go around him in the same lane i CHANGE LANES cause why thats proper thing to do because again they are considered A VICHELE on the road.

googe
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
if theyre a vehicle on the road, shouldnt they have to maintain the 60km/h speed? :dunno:

redline
09-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Rob Leech

They are Fags? :;)

Kyle

redline
09-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Rob

:werd:

I as driver and a cyclist the drivers in this city are very bad.

There are more cyclist run off the road and injured by cars then the reverse...

Kyle

Roaring G60
09-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by googe
if theyre a vehicle on the road, shouldnt they have to maintain the 60km/h speed? :dunno:

Nope! unless there is a posted minimun speed limit.

Jorgen

nadroj23
09-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by googe

as the post above stated no they dont have to because if you notice on all the signs it says MAXIMUM so even somebody in a car can go 20 under the speed limit if that is their comfort zone.....

marko polo
09-21-2006, 12:53 PM
if car drivers dont stay in their lane and go over the line forcing others to avoid them that is wrong so why is it alright when bikers do it. like i wouldnt have a problem with bikers if they are courteous enough to stay within the line but if they are riding like 3 bikers wide and dont give a shit thinking if they get hit it's not their fault thats when i have a problem. and for those riders that say the shoulder of the road isnt wide enough, plz do both you and i a favour and find a road that is wide enough :thumbsup: