PDA

View Full Version : Secret street rules to all that want to know

Hollywood
04-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Lately there has been some seperate discussions on the rules of secret street ie: tech inspection, what you can wear etc...

Race city follows NHRA rules for this year too.

http://www3.telus.net/cdra/techinspection.html

egmike
04-25-2003, 08:07 PM
hmmm, looks like I may need to replace my windshield before I run.....

Maxt
04-25-2003, 08:24 PM
Umm looks like I am out of secret street again, well in my turbo car anyway...
Hey Hollywood, I saw your new turbo, how much bigger is the wheel? the hot side looks the same as stock so I am assuming you went "hybrid", which is a decent way to go, lots of people do that so they don't have to run a custom manifold, external wastegate etc etc, the downside is the hot side is often a bottleneck on hybrid turbos and it limits the amount of boost you can run due to increased backpressure..
I went with the T66 option it flows about 25% more air than my old turbo, should be plenty fun..Maxt

buh_buh
04-25-2003, 08:32 PM
I don't know how much of this they actually enforce. Because I had a HUGE spiderweb in my windshield last year from me kicking it really hard (don't ask), and I passed tech. They asked me about it, and let me go. As long as it isn't in your direct field of vision they don't really care.

Hollywood
04-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Umm looks like I am out of secret street again, well in my turbo car anyway...
Hey Hollywood, I saw your new turbo, how much bigger is the wheel? the hot side looks the same as stock so I am assuming you went "hybrid", which is a decent way to go, lots of people do that so they don't have to run a custom manifold, external wastegate etc etc, the downside is the hot side is often a bottleneck on hybrid turbos and it limits the amount of boost you can run due to increased backpressure..
I went with the T66 option it flows about 25% more air than my old turbo, should be plenty fun..Maxt

A certain turbo shop said they could upgrade it for X dollars then the price when up and up as the days went by, so I said screw it then. Actually I think they got scared of the challenge.

It's actually bigger on both ends. It's a special JDM turbo made custom by garrett for nissan's rally car the GTi-R. It has a T28 .86 A/R Turbine Housing 79 Trim, .60 A/R T3 Compressor Housing 60 Trim T3 Compressor Wheel, Compressor Flow: 33 LB/MIN. tops out at around 320WHP. My old turbo was a t25 both the compressor and turbine, so this should be a decent upgrade, and it spools like a motha.

Edit got it a good price too, so it made it worth it.

egmike
04-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I don't know how much of this they actually enforce. Because I had a HUGE spiderweb in my windshield last year from me kicking it really hard (don't ask), and I passed tech. They asked me about it, and let me go. As long as it isn't in your direct field of vision they don't really care.

well mine is only one crack across my whole windsheild, starting by my VIN and going strait up to my rearview mirror, so I dunno it is kinda in my view but it doesn't bother me :dunno:

Maxt
04-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

It's actually bigger on both ends. It's a special JDM turbo made custom by garrett for nissan's rally car the GTi-R. It has a T28 .86 A/R Turbine Housing 79 Trim, .60 A/R T3 Compressor Housing 60 Trim T3 Compressor Wheel, Compressor Flow: 33 LB/MIN. tops out at around 320WHP. My old turbo was a t25 both the compressor and turbine, so this should be a decent upgrade, and it spools like a motha.

Edit got it a good price too, so it made it worth it.
Its gonna be 33 lbs right at the top end of that turbo, its most efficient at 20 lbs/min right around 15 psi of boost, which sounds about right for your motor...
http://www.bsmotor.com/turbo/t3-60.gif
I get totally jaded by rotary turbo's, once you see a "big" turbo on a rotary, upgraded turbo's even on v-8's make you laugh and snicker at the miniscule size... Even the porsche 944 turbo upgrade looks more like something from my key chain rather than performance upgrade..
The big thing is, is with more overlap(camshafts in your case and porting in my case), you have to really open up the exhaust, either with a larger turbine a/r or a bigger trim on the wheel, Chris Ng's hybrid basically can move the same air as my old turbo, however its the exhuast housing taking the reversion load off my motor which makes it have a 100 hp jump on his car, than and the front mount of course..
I found out I got burnt on my old turbo, it was a 57 trim variant, and not a 60-1, I was sitting around with the calipers one night and decided to do some measuring, was quite sad to realize that my turbo was maxed out at that point...
http://www.bsmotor.com/turbo/t4e-57.gif

So I have gone with this now..
http://www.bsmotor.com/turbo/t66.gif

It flows 55 lbs/min at 15 psi , which should be enough for 500-550 rwhp with a good streetport, but she's good right up to 24 psi, which on race gas could net some serious HP, like 600+hp..oh my poor car....Maxt

szw
04-26-2003, 12:55 AM
If you are dropping the clutch, do you wait until you see green light or on the last yellow?

Hollywood
04-26-2003, 01:02 AM
The 50 trim out performs the 57 even, so ya I would be mad too. There are some nice big turbo's for you in the GT series, and dual BB. T-66 is crazy big though, you better try to make your car secret street worthy. You cant have power like that and not be able to show it off at the track, that's just not right. :)

I don't seem to catch you at speedville much anymore, busy guy now you got a GF? Hehehe.

Ben
04-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by szw
If you are dropping the clutch, do you wait until you see green light or on the last yellow?

Think about it...if you already see green and you havent dropped the clutch yet, you'll be snoooooozin at the line.

You have to compensate for reaction time...

I let a rip on the last yellow.

ninspeed
04-26-2003, 01:11 PM
as soon as the 2nd yellow is on i drop it.. ran .498-.512 most of the time last year (no .500 yet though... came close with the .498)

but its something you really just gotta play around with to find your best reaction time.

Maxt
04-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
The 50 trim out performs the 57 even, so ya I would be mad too. There are some nice big turbo's for you in the GT series, and dual BB. T-66 is crazy big though, you better try to make your car secret street worthy. You cant have power like that and not be able to show it off at the track, that's just not right. :)

I don't seem to catch you at speedville much anymore, busy guy now you got a GF? Hehehe.
Work was taking up quite a bit of time which slows me down on the car stuff, but I got that under control now, and its full steam ahead for summer now..
The GF doesn't take up to much time actually, she's been translating the secrets of rotary tuning from Japanese to English for me, which helps rather than hinders like alot of past GF's...
I will take it to SS and see what happens I guess, I would like to get water injection on the car before I got the track though...Maxt

Hollywood
04-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Auquamist seems to be the top dog for water injection. And it's not that expensive, but the most expensive brand, but you get what u pay for.

Rx72ndGen
04-26-2003, 04:35 PM
yo Maxt how much money have u put in ur second gen,
i own a 86 n/a its my first car and i love the rotary

Maxt
04-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Enough to buy 2 more second gens....
N/a rx-7's are a hoot, drive em hard and never look at the guages... Put big boost to a rotary and its easier to fly a 747 than to keep track of all the vitals...

I am looking at the aquamist injection, seems a good plan with gas octane going down every year, you can't even find 92 anywhere now...
Hollywood, Karl got some info on a v-8less drag competition coming up, something like may 18?..He has all the brochures there, take a look..Maxt

Joe Malms
04-26-2003, 07:06 PM

It flows 55 lbs/min at 15 psi , which should be enough for 500-550 rwhp with a good streetport, but she's good right up to 24 psi, which on race gas could net some serious HP, like 600+hp..oh my poor car....Maxt

500-550rwhp on 15psi??? maybe high 400's.
Max, i know you're gonna make some crazy numbers (probably the fastest 2nd gen in town, if not the fastest rx-7 period), but i honestly don't see those numbers at that amount of boost.

Coryz
04-26-2003, 07:36 PM
hmmm the rules say nothing about no door handles? so im still good to go at race city without them?

Maxt
04-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Joe Malms

500-550rwhp on 15psi??? maybe high 400's.
Max, i know you're gonna make some crazy numbers (probably the fastest 2nd gen in town, if not the fastest rx-7 period), but i honestly don't see those numbers at that amount of boost.

I think it can be done with a T-66, on the stock based s-4 I was just about 400 rwhp at 15 psi, that motor had 80psi front and rear so it was not well, and most of the 15psi was turning into blow-by...
The g-tech reading was very close to what I dyno'd with the S4, on the good stock port s-5 motor I am registering 425-450 rwhp on the g-tech.. Now this is with a turbo operating in the 65-68% efficiency area on a stock ported motor, it starts to drop boost on a stock port motor at 7000+ rpm, which means its at the end of its rope and the motor wants more air..
Now I have 2 motors going together right now, I have a S4 based bridgeport, and a S5 based streetport.. Both of these are going to move way more air than a stock port motor..
If the t-66 drops my charge air temps 20 deg F, and delivers the 15psi right to 9000 rpm, along with the porting, also better intake manifolds, ported throttlebody, and much better engine sealing, I don't think a 75 hp gain over my last attempt is out of the question, turbo efficiency is everything, Chris and I both run the same boost pressure, yet I put down 100 hp more at the rear wheels and his motor is ported.. I was tempted to go t-88, guys are making over 500 rwhp with less than 15psi, but the lag becomes an issue and the powerband somewhat peaky.. Its not the psi that really counts, its how cold and stable the charge air is :burnout: ...Maxt...
Ps: some porting pics...

Maxt
04-26-2003, 09:18 PM
The bridgeported motor

Joe Malms
04-26-2003, 09:29 PM
sounds wild.
I guess its just because i have never seen it done before.
I think the most power i've seen at like 15psi was on a good ol t51 and it was around 470rwhp on a large street port.
Bridgeys...i've never seen much cause not many people are insane enough...hahah
I'd like to come check out the car sometime...you know who this is right?

buh_buh
04-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Coryz
hmmm the rules say nothing about no door handles? so im still good to go at race city without them? no doorhandles no race. At least those were the rules last year.

Maxt
04-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Yeah, you get your car painted yet?
I've got new wheels, and some other additions since last time you saw it, hopefully will have it painted soon as well, we will have to get everyone out again this summer...
I was really looking hard at the T-51, its to big really for just about everything, you can make some damn big power with it, but its at the other extreme of the stock turbo, it tends to operate to the left of the island instead of the centre on most import engines, on a big block v-8 it would make insane power(750-1000hp)..There are 2 turbo's which seem to fit the rotary just right, thats the T-66 and the T-78, the engine(uncorked) runs right up through the centre of the map, the funny thing is if you plot the stock turbo from a TII, with the engine uncorked its perfect for a one rotor engine, I may try making a twin HT18s setup next year...Maxt

Joe Malms
04-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Yeah, you get your car painted yet?
I've got new wheels, and some other additions since last time you saw it, hopefully will have it painted soon as well, we will have to get everyone out again this summer...
I was really looking hard at the T-51, its to big really for just about everything, you can make some damn big power with it, but its at the other extreme of the stock turbo, it tends to operate to the left of the island instead of the centre on most import engines, on a big block v-8 it would make insane power(750-1000hp)..There are 2 turbo's which seem to fit the rotary just right, thats the T-66 and the T-78, the engine(uncorked) runs right up through the centre of the map, the funny thing is if you plot the stock turbo from a TII, with the engine uncorked its perfect for a one rotor engine, I may try making a twin HT18s setup next year...Maxt

unfortunately i wont be painting it till next winter...
dont have the $$ nor the patience to wait for all that even if i did.
I'm also going single (t04r) and just have a few more things to purchase (mainly fuel system and drivetrain stuff)
The t51 is a badass turbo, but a laggy bitch. I've driven my friends mk4 supra a few times with it. The car feels like its floating when the power comes on..its wild.
I've heard of people running twin ht18's actually...it doesnt seem like a bad idea at all.
I'll have to come out this summer for sure, i guess i just kinda stayed behind the scenes because i didnt wanna show up in a prelude (unless eric would have joined me...LOL..j/k)

Maxt
04-26-2003, 10:04 PM
We make Erik park across the street and walk to where we are meeting ....:)...It'll look like you guys are representing for the big H crowd...

Actually this last year was hardly a seven year, my TII was down till late summer, I drove my GX to some of the meets, Chris drove his, and Shauno came out once or twice, but just about everyone elses car was busted or not being driven..
It takes awhile getting used to a single large turbo, you have to shift more. When you get your t04r, you'll be on the gas going "wheres the beef" then the boost will hit and give you whiplash.....
I remember my first drive with my To4e, the car did nothing for about a half second, then the tires started spinning and I was sideways for about a 100 feet with the sound of wideopen waste gate...dems was the good ole days...Maxt

Chris Ng
04-26-2003, 11:04 PM
How the heck can I keep my lurker status if you continue to bring up my name Max????

And yes.. You put down 100 hp more than I :( ... You are starting to give me a complex :)

People are always picking on us wee turbo folks ....

rx7_turbo2
04-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng
How the heck can I keep my lurker status if you continue to bring up my name Max????

And yes.. You put down 100 hp more than I :( ... You are starting to give me a complex :)

Hey at least your car runs, talking about a complex I find my self making "turbo" sounds when I'm driving my other vehicles, now that's a complex.

My car should be up and running for the majority of the summer, but we seem to have lost a few RX's over the last couple years. Some parked them and never touched them again, others bought a new toy and left the old one up on jack stands, but I wont mention any names;)

Hollywood
04-27-2003, 01:51 AM
I may try making a twin HT18s setup next year...Maxt

Custom twin setup's tend to always run into problems/less efficient compared to a single turbo.

Hehehe. Wait till he tells you how much he spends or has spent and you like "you that fast for that cheap?"

You guys are giving me a complex! "1.15 A/R turbine...say what??" Hehehe.

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Hey at least your car runs, talking about a complex I find my self making "turbo" sounds when I'm driving my other vehicles, now that's a complex.

Hahaha. Psssht away!

darknight
04-27-2003, 12:29 PM

The GF doesn't take up to much time actually, she's been translating the secrets of rotary tuning from Japanese to English for me, which helps rather than hinders like alot of past GF's...

Does your GF have any boyfriendless girlfriends? With all this stuff I got, I could really use a translator! HAHA. I'm always on the prowel for a Japanese girl but never can find any. I guess I should have stuffed a couple in my suitcase when I was in Japan. :poosie:

Orrin

jdmakkord
04-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by darknight

Does your GF have any boyfriendless girlfriends? With all this stuff I got, I could really use a translator! HAHA. I'm always on the prowel for a Japanese girl but never can find any. I guess I should have stuffed a couple in my suitcase when I was in Japan. :poosie:

Orrin

Ryans brothers gf comes in handy for that stuff. Who do you think translated my tanabe instructions! lol

Maxt
04-28-2003, 09:10 AM

Orrin

:rofl:
Actually, how I met her was through trying to learn Japanese, she is learning English and her and I were paired up by chance..
Even though she is native Japanese, the women in Japan are not exposed to technical words or the meaning of them, women are treated much like they were here in the 50's, their place is to cook,clean, and provide other services that men desire ( :bigpimp: ) ...So, although the women can read the text, its often difficult to translate as they have no idea of what the words mean or how they relate to each other, its one thing to read how to order a bag of candy, its another thing to read a text on side housing porting, when the words translate to shaving the metal tunnel furiously with buzzing sandpaper on an air stick(Engrish.com)...
I hope to be able to read Japanese by October, so far the only words I know are Sumimasen -"excuse me" and Bempi-"constipated"...I got a long way to go...Maxt

rage2
04-28-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm always on the prowel for a Japanese girl but never can find any.
Try Mount Royal College (the downtown 4th Ave. 8th street SW one). Tons of "easy" japanese girls there starting to learn english. They're not terribly hot, but will do fine with your translation needs :rofl:

buh_buh
04-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Try Mount Royal College (the downtown 4th Ave. 8th street SW one). Tons of "easy" japanese girls there starting to learn english. They're not terribly hot, but will do fine with your translation needs :rofl: EVIDENCE!

rage2
04-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
EVIDENCE!
You know, I used to be a pimp too before I got married. I'm not stealing your thunder man!

darknight
04-28-2003, 12:34 PM

Try Mount Royal College (the downtown 4th Ave. 8th street SW one). Tons of "easy" japanese girls there starting to learn english. They're not terribly hot, but will do fine with your translation needs :rofl:

HAHAH thanks for the tip rage. :bigpimp: I can only hope no Japanese ladies going to the down town mount royal are going to see this, it just might ruin my plans!!:D

Maxt
04-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Contrary to popular folklore, Japanese women just don't drop their pants and bend over for gaijin(us non Japanese guys)..It may be different in Japan, but here white guys aren't exactly a rarity or a novelty like they would be in a sea of dark haired short people, so don't exactly just expect them to say "hi" and then go down for a 25 minute recital on the skin flute, because your a white boy..
If they are easy here, chances are they were easy there, and you might be getting more than you bargained for. :rofl: ....Maxt

Hollywood
04-28-2003, 05:37 PM
If they are easy here, chances are they were easy there, and you might be getting more than you bargained for. :rofl: ....Maxt

hahahaha:rofl:

rage2
04-28-2003, 09:11 PM
SARS! :rofl:

rx7_turbo2
04-28-2003, 09:47 PM
SARS! :rofl:

I was thinking something more along the lines of some "hot lunch" action:rofl: