PDA

View Full Version : JDM Inspections ?

a1jatt
09-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of importing a car from Japan. Does any one know what kind of inspections it will have to go through in order to get registered in alberta ? And what is the crieteria for these inspections ? I know about the OOP inspection, but a friend of mine said something about "Federal Inspection" which i have never heard before ? Does any one know what these inspection guys look for ? How much does it cost ? Who does it in Calgary ? etc.

Thank you in advance.

Cornfed
09-16-2006, 08:06 PM
You only need OOP. And right now it's becoming a bitch to pass.

Honda_002
09-16-2006, 08:08 PM
thats the word on the street yho! what kind of car are you thinking of importing, and who are you going through?

a1jatt
09-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Cornfed
You only need OOP. And right now it's becoming a bitch to pass.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Do you know any details on why is it becoming hard to pass ?

I am looking at either a BMW 850i or Nissan Fairlady.

kdwebber
09-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Man you need to learn how to use google. Enough said.

k98303
09-16-2006, 10:54 PM
get one that are already registered and brought to alberta from those car import companies. u save tons of time

Annoyingrob
09-18-2006, 06:05 AM
OOP inspection can be done at any mechanic certified to do it. I got mine done at Petro Canada down the street from my house. They check to make sure anything that was installed on the car from the factory is in working order, and that the car is in a SAFE running order. If you need new brakes, that will fail you, if you have huge rust holes, that will fail you, if the shifter has issues, that will fail you,etc.

As an example, my Supra failed because it needed new brake pads and rotors up front, and... get this... because the previous owner took off the rear wiper arm. It was on there from the factory, it had to be on the car to pass. I got one from the junk yard for 3 bucks and threw it on :) However, they didn't care about the alligator clips on my fuel injectors (I had a bad ECU, and needed to rewire them to work properly).

Edit: oh, and as to the timeline thing, it took less then a week from getting the car, to fix any problems, get it certified, and get it registered.

Redlyne_mr2
09-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Does an out of country not need to be done as well?

ogpog
09-18-2006, 08:20 AM
If you want the name of someone who might be a little more "forgiving":D to do your inspection, PM me when the time comes. (its not me just so you know, Its a good friend who has a shop up north and is focussed on 4x4 and hotrods, but im sure some JDM action wont bug him none.