PDA

View Full Version : what does my frd need to do to make his car ready for winter

k98303
09-16-2006, 08:56 PM
frd just got a interga, it is lowed and with summer tires i believe.
he just came to calgary and never experienced driving in the snow.
he is wondering what he needs to do to make his car ready for the winter

ive told him to change summer tires to winter tires, raise his car and change a new battery.

anything else guys?

DC2
09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
get a car starter? does he have a block heater?

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Install a block heater... there's a thread around for suggestions... Pick up some winter tires and steelies... you don't have to raise it, depends on how low it is... Mine's lowered, but not too low, that I need to raise ot for winter. Another Idea would be remove any bodykit parts he has, any lips/sideskirts.

Batterty should be ok, double check what brand it is and such, can't make too many suggestions on it.

88CRXGUY
09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Get some kitty litter or sand, extra anti freeze and washer fluid, jumper cables.

dooman24
09-16-2006, 09:06 PM
blankets just incase you get stuck somewhere...

k98303
09-16-2006, 10:52 PM
how much is it for block heater?
i think he has to raise his car or at least take off the lip..
i just drove his car, it takes a bit long to start the car. he said he justgot a new battery, so im guess it is because of the spark plug is too old?

haha ya that is what i told him 2. blanket, big jackets. flashlight, pens papers food water... lol he doesn't believe me though..but yea he will find out how :nut: our snow will be..

CarbonCopy
09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by k98303
how much is it for block heater?
i think he has to raise his car or at least take off the lip..
i just drove his car, it takes a bit long to start the car. he said he justgot a new battery, so im guess it is because of the spark plug is too old?

haha ya that is what i told him 2. blanket, big jackets. flashlight, pens papers food water... lol he doesn't believe me though..but yea he will find out how :nut: our snow will be..

Those are all good ideas.

Good to check coolant, and the whole cooling system. Make sure the heater works, yada yada.

Block heaters run 20-100 dollars depending on whether you get block heaters, cooling line heaters, ect. Most cars have them. Just ask him if his car "has a plug in in the front".

Some cars just take a long time to start, it would be the fuel system taking time to get the juices going more then sparkplugs.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-17-2006, 12:34 AM
speaking of block heaters... i need to get one installed (damn jdm engines... lol) any good suggestions? preferably something with no long term affects and easily removed?

k98303
09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
yea frd has a block heater

I HATE SNOW

CarbonCopy
09-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
speaking of block heaters... i need to get one installed (damn jdm engines... lol) any good suggestions? preferably something with no long term affects and easily removed?

Go to Partsource, CDN tire, ect... Ask for a stick-on one.

2 minute install. :thumbsup:

arian_ma
09-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I drove my car in the winter blizzards with summer tires and lowered 2 1/4 inches.

The problem was not how low my car was. It was trying to stop while going downhill on ice with summer tires.

Get yourself some GOOD winter tires, drive carefully, and if your car is garaged you probably won't even need a new battery if your old one is in good shape.