PDA

View Full Version : 3SGE to 3SGTE swap

whyexactly
09-16-2006, 10:26 PM
just curious if anyone here has done a swap like this before, I'm trying to get the 3SGTE into my 87 Celica but I'm not entirely sure what I would need. I know that the "S" series engines all have the same mounting brackets, but apart from that, I'm not sure what I will be able to keep from my old setup. Any sources for extra info or parts would be greatly appreciated.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Doesn't the "T" just stand for turbo? So isn't it just a turbo'ed 3SGE? All you would need then is to bolt on the turbo, and grab the new ecu?

whyexactly
09-17-2006, 08:19 AM
well my engine has a crapload of km's on it, so I figured since I'm replacing it, I'll upgrade. If I can just grab a new 3SGE and put a turbo and ECU on it, then that'll be much easier, I'm assuming then that would require a 3SGTE like the fifty that I cna find on ebay? If I can't, then the main thing I'm confused about if the tranny, since I don't know if my old one will be able to handle the power properly (it's getting kinda old too) I'm not sure what I should put in. My one buddy thinks the AllTrac tranny would work, another thinks my old one will work ok, but I'm thinking maybe the MR2 one since MR is closer to FF? :dunno:

Cheeze
09-17-2006, 08:49 AM
the 3sgte into that is a pretty easy swap. itll even bolt up to your stock transmission.

alot of ppl suggest using an mr2 tranny however because starter location changes on the 3sgte. if you look where your starter is now, imagine a turbo sitting on your exhaust manifold and youll see the pickle that youre in. I spoke with a guy in germany who did it, and what he did is he punched out the opposite end of the starter mount (which is cast aluminum) and mounted it facing the opposing direction. he said he had no problems with it.

also a tranny that i heard works is a 5sfe tranny, becuase of the changed starter location. IF you put the mr2 tranny in, you need to modify its shift linkages so they work backwards.

when you do the swap, you need to use a upgraded 3sge disc if youre gonna use your origional tranny, and a 3sgte pressure plate

other than that, all thats involved after is wiring and perhaps fuel pump upgrade.

the wiring from what i heard isnt that hard.

good luck

and if you cant find a 3sgte Airflow meter, a mazda rx7 turbo II meter will work just fine

EK 2.0
09-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Doesn't the "T" just stand for turbo? So isn't it just a turbo'ed 3SGE? All you would need then is to bolt on the turbo, and grab the new ecu?

No...but thanks for coming out...

TEAMFaint
09-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

No...but thanks for coming out...

Actually...yes...he is technically right. However there are slight differences between such things including the manifold, and other little things.

3sge vs 3sgte the main difference is the T which is the turbo, you are right, however there are differences between turbo'ing a 3sge and swapping in a 3sgte.

EK 2.0
09-17-2006, 11:21 AM
IIRC my 3S-GTE had piston squirters...I don't think the non boosted mill had those...As well as a lot of little other touches that the non boosted mills did not come with...Touches that aided in reliability when boosted...

And dont the non turbo Celica's and MR-2's come with 3S-FE's NOT 3S-GE's?? Or in later years 5S-FE's...

CelicaST-162
09-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Not to mention, the GTE has lower compression for use of the turbo, slightly beefier internals. You would have to tune the GE-T conversion like a mofo (higher compression, possible reliability issues. Start with a GTE and you wont have to worry about those issues...

Cheeze
09-17-2006, 02:19 PM
ive heard of ppl turboing the 3sge without too many problems. Usually they run 3sgte injectors and a few other parts from a 3sgte to make it work. i havent personally done the swap but i was going to do the exact same one, so i did all the research. then a 240sx came along and i forgot allllll about that swap

:eek:

whyexactly
09-17-2006, 07:47 PM
And dont the non turbo Celica's and MR-2's come with 3S-FE's NOT 3S-GE's?? Or in later years 5S-FE's...

All I know is my Celica came with a 3-SGE, says so on the hood.

Thanks for all the help guys.

TEAMFaint
09-17-2006, 07:51 PM

5SFE = 90+ MR's and Celica's
3SGE = 86-89 Celica
No idea what the older MR2's came with.

EK 2.0
09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by TEAMFaint
5SFE = 90+ MR's and Celica's
3SGE = 86-89 Celica
No idea what the older MR2's came with.

Ok I stand corrected...

and AW11's came with 4A- series of motors...

zain123
09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
3sgte -alltrac
3sge - gts (86-89)
3sfe - gt (86-89)

i swapped st185 3sgte ( motor from 90-93 alltracs) into my 88 alltrac
if u have any more questions and/or would like the # or contact for the shop please pm me as i cannot post any contact info of non sponsored businesses

Redlyne_mr2
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Yeah pretty easy swap, as mentioned stick with your stock tranny and just change the pressure plate and clutch. 3sge vs 3sgte very very different engines.

cressida_pimpin
09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
wouldnt the all-trac be a different tranny setup? i thought that it was awd. or can u just remove the transercase and be done? (sorry for the newb question)

whyexactly
09-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Would it be very different to put in a JDM engine? I know lots of stuff is backwards over there, but the only hole in my firewall is on the passenger side (made putting in an amp a hell of a hard time) so I'm thinking maybe they aren't too different? :dunno:

For the wiring, if I take a 3SGTE turbo wiring harness/ECU/sensors/igniter thats out of an MR2 and frankenstein it with my old one I should end up with what I need, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna make sure I get everything I need and do this right, I've got a couple experienced guys to help me do the labor but they don't know a heck of a lot about what I'll need for it.