PDA

View Full Version : axle/halfshaft removal

geestring
09-17-2006, 02:33 PM
hi i need to replace my cv joint on my ford taurus 1990.

so im just going to take out the axle and use a rebuilt axle.

supposedly i need a large socket for the axle nut.
Do any autopart stores lend out axle kits?

also do i need to take off the caliper and rotor to take out the axle?

Mustangcrazy
09-17-2006, 02:47 PM
there are some places that loan out tools, like auto value parts stores, but the axle socketts only cost about twenty to thirty bucks. And as for removing the caliper, You may not have to dependeing if you can get the axle out of there. I did some work on my wifes pink VW rabbit and i was able to get the axles out np.

geestring
09-17-2006, 07:22 PM
basically the axle is held just by ythe axle nut correct?

ryder_23
09-17-2006, 07:26 PM
You might have to remove the lower BJ too

ninspeed
09-17-2006, 07:29 PM
You can leave the caliper on, just remove the lower ball joint so you can pull the strut assy to the side, and pull the cv shaft out of the tranny (make sure you have the side your working on jack up high enough that lots of fluid does not come out.

Any Autoparts store will be able to lend you the socket (i think its 1 1/8th on that old of a ford)

Honda_002
09-17-2006, 07:30 PM
for my car you just unscrew two bolts and the entire disc and brake assembly folds down, allowing removal, but yeah check napa or something, they should have something to help you out, i think mine was a 23mm socket, shouldnt be hard to find

geestring
09-18-2006, 10:54 AM
its the same process to uninstall and install the right and left axle... does that mean its the exact same part? I can use it either on right or left side?

fluid will come out? will i have to fill it up again?

this is my first repair.

nonsane
09-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by geestring
its the same process to uninstall and install the right and left axle...

Mirrored, but yes.

does that mean its the exact same part? I can use it either on right or left side?

No, For the axle nut, yes.

fluid will come out? will i have to fill it up again?

nothing should come out.

The auto parts place didn't have my hub nut socket i ended up going to House of tools.

geestring
09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
yea i went to an autoparts store and they said they dotn lend out sockets.

hmm i have my car manual and i have a vehicle guide from autozone.com

they conflict. the one on autozone says i need to take out the right halfshaft first then hammer out the left. the car manual doesnt say anything about that.

err and all the instructions say " for left and right halfshafts except for 2.5l taurus"

so im assuming the half shafts are mirrored... because they show them putting a circlip on the stub shaft. thats fine. But they dont show that the LEFT side is indeed different.

the left Has no stubshaft to go into the transaxle. the LEft HS in the picture and the one i just bought has a big hole for something to be inserted into it.
So I dont need a circlip for the left side? is there a shaft extruded from the transaxle that can be inserted into the left halfshaft?

nonsane
09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
sorry i overlooked that it was a taurus

Do One shaft at a time. Rumour has it that if you take out both the internals will drop and you won't be able to get either side in.

geestring
09-18-2006, 03:13 PM
the manual says that will only happen if its a manual or 3 speed automatic transmission.

I dont even think they made a 3 speed auto taurus.

I'm only doing one anyways.

Just wondering if I need a circlip for the left side. Its clearly inserted differently into the transaxle.

Tik-Tok
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
fyi Princess Auto has a sale on this week for axle nut sockets, a pack of 6 or 7 for $30 or something. Good enough for something you'll only need a handful of times in a life.

frozenrice
09-18-2006, 10:56 PM
You can borrow/rent sockets from Crappy Tire but they're a huge paperwork PITA to signout. There's a Liquidation Supercenter off of 58th Ave SE/W. I bought a 32mm impact socket for $6.00. I know you get what you pay for, so I bought two of them. I figure for the amount of times I'm going to need it, quality shouldn't matter too terribly much.

geestring
09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
im in ottawa right now... I wish i could find somewhere that sold $6 sockets heh

geestring
09-19-2006, 12:15 PM
www.geespot.ca/tauruscv.jpg

ok so that rusty old orange thing circled is the steering knuckle assembly? and I have to unscrew that balljoint ,not shown, to move that out of the way? what is that white long thing ? thats in the way as well.

frozenrice
09-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by geestring
im in ottawa right now... I wish i could find somewhere that sold $6 sockets heh

My bad, I didn't see that.