PDA

View Full Version : Chips.....anyone anyone bueller bueller?

essential.mix
09-18-2006, 12:14 AM
This has probably been asked before somewhere deep within the forums... but here it goessss....

I have a 1994 2.0L VW Golf... and i am interested in buying some parts to maybe give it a little more umph if you know what im talkin' about.

I am interested in what kind of chip is best... I thought instead of researching it on google and what not, id come on here and ask, hoping that someone who knows more than i do about chips can tell me through their experiance... What im looking for is more hp of course.... so any help would be greatly appreciated.... (also feel free to give me more tips for other parts and/or mods i should know about getting for that extra HP)

thanks,

Paul

gp36912
09-18-2006, 12:15 AM
^^^ go to eurodrivers.ca and look up eutuning, its a whole section. talk to them they can do a ton of stuff

Mitsu3000gt
09-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by essential.mix
This has probably been asked before somewhere deep within the forums... but here it goessss....

I have a 1994 2.0L VW Golf... and i am interested in buying some parts to maybe give it a little more umph if you know what im talkin' about.

I am interested in what kind of chip is best... I thought instead of researching it on google and what not, id come on here and ask, hoping that someone who knows more than i do about chips can tell me through their experiance... What im looking for is more hp of course.... so any help would be greatly appreciated.... (also feel free to give me more tips for other parts and/or mods i should know about getting for that extra HP)

thanks,

Paul

Chipping an N/A car, especially one with as little HP at the 2.0L will give you such small gains you probably won't notice it at all. The chip MIGHT give you 10 more HP. For you to notice anything at all significant, you are going to have to turbocharge or supercharge your car in which case you're better off just buying a new car with the 1.8T or VR6 for the money. Even with a full intake and exhaust along with a chip I doubt you could actually "feel" any significant difference in power. You may notice very slightly better bottom and top end power if your really paying attention, but it certainly would not be worth the money at all. Do not spend your money modding a 2.0L golf IMO. Save your money and put it into a new car if you want to go faster.

essential.mix
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Chipping an N/A car, especially one with as little HP at the 2.0L will give you such small gains you probably won't notice it at all. The chip MIGHT give you 10 more HP. For you to notice anything at all significant, you are going to have to turbocharge or supercharge your car in which case you're better off just buying a new car with the 1.8T or VR6 for the money. Even with a full intake and exhaust along with a chip I doubt you could actually "feel" any significant difference in power. You may notice very slightly better bottom and top end power if your really paying attention, but it certainly would not be worth the money at all. Do not spend your money modding a 2.0L golf IMO. Save your money and put it into a new car if you want to go faster.

So you're saying that I wont notice the HP gains with all 3 mods (chip,exhaust, intake) on the 2.0L, and that i would only benefit the addition of these mods with an engine like teh 1.8 or VR6? Correct? I am suprised to hear that they wouldnt have noticeable change on the smaller engine, it is pretty slow anyways... Although Im not looking for a car to street race... just give it that extra little edge... but i suppose if its not worth it ill save the money and mod the exterior... thanks guys

Mitsu3000gt
09-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by essential.mix

So you're saying that I wont notice the HP gains with all 3 mods (chip,exhaust, intake) on the 2.0L, and that i would only benefit the addition of these mods with an engine like teh 1.8 or VR6? Correct? I am suprised to hear that they wouldnt have noticeable change on the smaller engine, it is pretty slow anyways... Although Im not looking for a car to street race... just give it that extra little edge... but i suppose if its not worth it ill save the money and mod the exterior... thanks guys

Realistic gains from intake/exhaust on a 4cyl motor are 5-10hp if that. That is indeed an increase, but not something you would feel in the seat of your pants. A chip will be very similar. A chip works well with the 1.8T motor because it can turn up the boost on the turbo, which is the cheapest way of getting extra power when done properly. Chipping the VR6 motor would do almost nothing as well, and intake/exhaust on all 3 probably wouldn't do anything truely noticable. If you are going to be keeping the car for a while, I would put money into it's appearance instead of the motor.