PDA

View Full Version : Need Healthier Breakfast Ideas

mo_money2supe
09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
So I currently eat 2 eggs, 2-4 slices/pieces of bacon/breakfast sausage, and sometimes 2 slices of toast for breakfast. But after today, it felt like my arteries instantly clogged up because of all the fat from the bacon/sausages. I'm lactose intolerant, so cereal is definitely outta the question, and I'm not a big fan of oatmeal. Any other ideas out there? Keep in mind, I only leave myself about half an hour at the most for cooking AND eating in the mornings.

msommers
09-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Buy Lactade or whatever. I have cereal all the time and I'm lactose intolerant as well. Or soy milk if you can handle the shitty taste. Instant poragies are a life saver for me. Fruit salads + eggs and toast wouldn't be bad either.

marko polo
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
breakfast is very; important the human body needs protein early in the morning. I say keep eating what you are but maybe cut down a bit on the bacon, sausage and eggs and eat more fruit for breakfast. :thumbsup:

eb0i
09-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't have a big breakfast. I usually go with a cup of OJ and a bagel with cream cheese, and a fruit. :thumbsup:

GQBalla
09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
get the chinese soya milk its way better @!

core_upt
09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I'd say instant oatmeal with two tablespoons of cottage cheese and a banana cut up and mixed together. Nutritious, high in protein, and filling.

But you do'nt like oatmeal.

And you're lactose intolerant.

Fruit and whole grains would be the way to go.

mo_money2supe
09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I do admit though, I need more greens in my system. I'll try some of these ideas for tomorrow. As for the Lactaid suggestion, I find that it tastes somewhat too sweet for milk, which just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it? :dunno:

Originally posted by core_upt
I'd say instant oatmeal with two tablespoons of cottage cheese and a banana cut up and mixed together. Nutritious, high in protein, and filling.

And as much as I despise Oatmeal, this does sound rather good. I just might have to try that sometime too.

Any other ideas though that don't require too much prep time? I can get rather lazy in the mornings. :angel:

Vagabond142
09-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Fruits and cereals (breads, etc) are two really good breakfast ideas. Find high protein fruits like bananas, slice, and have on a piece of multigrain toast. Good carbs, good fats and good protein, plus I think it tastes awesome. Also, lean pork sausage with an egg is also good. Just keep a high amount of protein and carbs for your body to use during the hard moments of the morning when it's still booting up. A light snack ~10-11 is a good idea, like an apple or a bowl of strawberries or something like that, just something with natural sugars and such to keep your body going. A good lunch is important too, as that gives you the energy for the rest of the day. A light snack every 3 hours or so between meals really helps me get through the day :D

Ripper
09-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I like getting a honey/oat/fiber type cereal and instead of milk using yogurt.

Seanith
09-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
So I currently eat 2 eggs, 2-4 slices/pieces of bacon/breakfast sausage, and sometimes 2 slices of toast for breakfast.

Fuck man, anything is better than what your eating right now. Thats so excessive.. try eating an apple and a banana or something. The best thing you can eat is fruit in the morning. Or at least HALF what your having now.

Roaring G60
09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
why not try cutting it down to two eggs, 2 slices of lean back bacon and a slice of unbuttered toast??? maybe a fruit salad/cottage cheese mix??

msommers
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
As for the Lactaid suggestion, I find that it tastes somewhat too sweet for milk, which just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it? :dunno:

Yeah it is sweeter but I've gotten used to it, been drinking it for awhile now and don't notice it, I tried regular milk one time by accident and thought it tasted like crap! It's all relative. CUT DOWN ON THE GREASE! Unless you're hungover or bombed, in which case, is a life saver at 3:00am at Denny's:angel:

mo_money2supe
09-18-2006, 11:07 PM
:rofl: Yeah, I know I have to cut back on what I'm eating now; honestly, when I just think back to how greasy the frying pan was this morning... :barf: My family already has problems with high cholesterol, I don't want to be the next statistic down my family line. I guess that's what happens when you're no longer living at home and have mommy making a proper breakfast for you.

As for the fruits/veggies in the mornings, does jam on toast count? :D I will start looking into more fibre and protein along with fruits/veggies in the mornings though. Thanks again everyone!

Feel free to keep the ideas coming though...

Darkane
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Whole grain Waffles = T3h w1N!! Good for ya and still taste good. Put the fresh fruit on the waffles. Use honey not syrup and take a scoop of Whey protein. Have a glass of Oj if ya want and you set! Side note - Rolled Oats, slow cooked the night before with blueberries/raspberries with honey in the morning is pure sex. :eek:

Kirbs17
09-19-2006, 07:58 AM
1 cup yogurt mixed with 1 cup granola. Its my favorite breakfast

blueToy
09-19-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm lactose intolerant, so cereal is definitely outta the question

I had been doing the soya milk and cereal ( a mix of Nature's Path Heritage Muesli and Heritage whole grain flakes ) for ages , but have recently switched over to Rice Dream as I just don't trust the soya beverage makers . I once read that the soya bean is one of the highest genetically modified crops out there , so I've switched to the more organic , brown rice approach . So far I love it ( I'm having it right now :) ) and like anything new , it does take a short while ( or few times ) before you get used to the taste . Don't discount cereal out of your brekkie because of the milk , it's a great source of fibre , and is a excellant part of a nutricious breakfast .

Cheers

sputnik
09-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Have you tried Tayo as a milk substitute?

Its made from potatoes and is supposed to be pretty good. You can get it at Safeway IIRC.

DSMer4Life
09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
A couple whole grain rice cakes with no preservative peanut butter and a banana. It's what I'm eating right now!:D

CarbonCopy
09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
If you go to shoppers, safeway or really any pharmacy for around 10 dollars you can get a bottle of lactose enzyme pills. I use them everytime I eat milk/cheese, 4 pills a time *VERY lactose intolerant, find what works for you...* and I'm able to eat anything, milk, cheese, yogurt, ect.

They really work, so giv'er a shot, because you probably forget how amazing milk is... I went without a drop of milk or cheese for 2 months, when I finally had some milk I was in heaven.

TrevorK
09-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Why not make breakfast burritos (With whole wheat tortillas)?

If you're really strapped for time, you can make them and freeze them ahead of them.

You can put virtually anything into them, such as peppers (Which have a very high nutritional value).

kerry
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
McDonalds FTW

But seriously breakfast burritos is a great idea

hussein
09-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Substitute that bacon for some steak. :bigpimp:

camby
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I find fruit keeps me going for the morning. Apples, oranges, peaches etc.

snade831
09-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Good ol' PB and J! Of course it's natural peanut butter and sugar free jam.

ZedMan
09-19-2006, 11:31 PM
There are plenty of milk alternatives you can use, soy milk, rice dream, almond milk...

My personal fave is almond milk, the stuff's called 'almond breeze'.

Lo)2enz0
09-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
1 cup yogurt mixed with 1 cup granola. Its my favorite breakfast

wow, idea totally passed by me. i just have toast and something to drink.

i eat vextor from time to time too

dino_martini
09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Hard or Soft boil an egg. Then crack it open with a spoon by tapping in at the top of the egg. You can just put alittle salt and pepper on top of the egg and eat it out of the shell or

my favourite way is to make a picec of toast of two and then if you soft boiled an egg, dip the toast in there because its usually sort of runny. Or, if its hard boiled take a spoon and scoop out all the eggy goodness and put it on your toast.

:drool:

CarbonCopy
09-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Hard or Soft boil an egg. Then crack it open with a spoon by tapping in at the top of the egg. You can just put alittle salt and pepper on top of the egg and eat it out of the shell or

my favourite way is to make a picec of toast of two and then if you soft boiled an egg, dip the toast in there because its usually sort of runny. Or, if its hard boiled take a spoon and scoop out all the eggy goodness and put it on your toast.

:drool:

Eggs = yum.

If it wasnt filled with lard, butter, cholestoral and other bad things... I would sooo eat eggs benidict every day.

qrankz
09-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Honestly..eating that much for breakfast isn't that good either. Yes it's the most important meal of the day because it kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day. Even having 1 or 2 bananas is good enough. As long as you eat throughout the day in small portions..you'll be fine.

I suggest maybe a whole grain bagel with light cream cheese and a cup of OJ. Or..2 slices of brown toast with pb and jelly.

CarbonCopy
09-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by qrankz
Honestly..eating that much for breakfast isn't that good either. Yes it's the most important meal of the day because it kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day. Even having 1 or 2 bananas is good enough. As long as you eat throughout the day in small portions..you'll be fine.

I suggest maybe a whole grain bagel with light cream cheese and a cup of OJ. Or..2 slices of brown toast with pb and jelly.

Although true you can eat in small portions, but a balanced breakfast is key.

Carbohydrates, protien, vitimans, ect are all very good to help your day get going well.

I find if I eat no protien in the morning, I really feel hungry and tired 2 hours down the road. If I have a good serving of protien and carbs, I'm good for 8+ hours until my next meal.

Then again, my body isn't anything to take examples off. I lost 17 pounds eating burger king every meal for a week on a dare. So, find what works for you!

(true story, actually lost 17 pounds off of 21 meals of BK)

Seanith
09-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by CarbonCopy

(true story, actually lost 17 pounds off of 21 meals of BK)

You must of shat it all off lol

Supa Dexta
09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
turkey bacon may be a better option as well...

CasperWho
09-20-2006, 06:29 PM
turkey bacon gives me the shivers...
that shits sick !

TC2002
09-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I usually go for Chinese rice noodles in a light broth with meat/chicken leftovers and vegetables. Easy enough to make and is pretty light (depending on what you throw in). :)

CarbonCopy
09-21-2006, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Seanith

You must of shat it all off lol

I dunno, I didn't feel irregular shit's at all.

But really, don't try that at home. You'll gain 20 pounds :rofl:

Mosquito_R
09-21-2006, 04:16 AM
How about peanut butter on toast with banana slices? Enough fibre, protein and sugar for the morning; that's typically enough to keep me 'til lunch. I typically make my toast and eat it in the car - crumbs=t3h w1n!

Lactaid ain't that bad at all, while I'm not lactose intolerant, other ppl in my family are. It makes the milk taste slightly sweeter, so if you're using that in your tea or coffee, just back off a little on the sugar. With cereal, it ain't that bad at all. Try Just Right from Kelloggs. Add some dried cranberries and it tastes awesome.

There... two ideas for you to try.

Cholesterol problems suck big time. Better watch it while you're still young. It's catching up to me too.

mo_money2supe
09-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Mosquito_R
I typically make my toast and eat it in the car - crumbs=t3h w1n!

Yeah, you know me and my try-to-be-clean car. I try not to eat while driving here in Saskatoon anyway, 'cause well, you've heard all my rants about the potholes here - not exactly the safest place to be driving around with my one knee. :D

Anywho, so overall, it seems most people are suggesting a good balance of proteins, carbs, fibres, and whatever else I get from veggies for breakfast. I'll have to do some more shopping before that happens though.

But just recently, I have included an apple into my petit-dejeuner along with my typical 2 eggs and whatever other breakfast bar I can find, and already I've noticed a difference. I have noticeably more energy now, but I guess that heavy grease from the bacon/sasauges was just draining on me; however, I've also noticed I've been getting more hungry by lunch time, probably because I was so used to a heavy meal. I like the idea of eating throughout the day, but sometimes, while taking notes in class, it just doesn't allow for that. Should I up my portion sizing even though someone mentioned before to eat smaller portions?

CarbonCopy
09-21-2006, 06:09 AM

Yeah, you know me and my try-to-be-clean car. I try not to eat while driving here in Saskatoon anyway, 'cause well, you've heard all my rants about the potholes here - not exactly the safest place to be driving around with my one knee. :D

Anywho, so overall, it seems most people are suggesting a good balance of proteins, carbs, fibres, and whatever else I get from veggies for breakfast. I'll have to do some more shopping before that happens though.

But just recently, I have included an apple into my petit-dejeuner along with my typical 2 eggs and whatever other breakfast bar I can find, and already I've noticed a difference. I have noticeably more energy now, but I guess that heavy grease from the bacon/sasauges was just draining on me; however, I've also noticed I've been getting more hungry by lunch time, probably because I was so used to a heavy meal. I like the idea of eating throughout the day, but sometimes, while taking notes in class, it just doesn't allow for that. Should I up my portion sizing even though someone mentioned before to eat smaller portions?

It's not so much the meat drains you, it's just not giving your body what it needs. Carbs are essencial for energy, while protiens (meat, eggs, ect) keep you full and happy longer.

aklalani
09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
eat the eggs without the yolks, limit ur bacon and sausage intake (if not at least go with turkey bacon or something) and have fruit. as for the cereal go with the soy or lactade stuff.

Mosquito_R
09-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Good point. I forgot to mention the turkey "bacon" also. That stuff tastes good and is low fat to boot... however, watch out for sodium levels. Eggs w/o yolk will cut down the cholesterol significantly and is worth pursuing, although I'm still not happy with that idea.