PDA

View Full Version : Boost Guage Showing 0psi but belt is turning SCer....?

Ekliptix
04-25-2003, 06:06 PM
I was trying to get the guage to show 6psi be shifting at redline once(~6000rpm).
At 5500rpm, there was a sudden power drop and the guage said 0psi. I couldn't get it to go over 0psi.

I got home and the belt looked fine, and was spinning the SCer.

What;'s up?

THREE40SEVEN
04-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I was trying to get the guage to show 6psi be shifting at redline once(~6000rpm).
At 5500rpm, there was a sudden power drop and the guage said 0psi. I couldn't get it to go over 0psi.

What;'s up?
Did you buy the car?
Either your gauge lost its vacuum/boost signal, or the discharge tube came off the blower... Take a look.. it should be easy to see.

THREE40SEVEN
04-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Actually... hold on a minute. This is a powerdyne, correct? They are notorious for breaking their internal belts.

DSM Power
04-25-2003, 06:25 PM
It could be a couple of things....

1) Boost leak
2) Kink in line to boost gauge
3) Faulty gauge
4) Fuel cut (?)

I don't know much about supercharged Stangs so that's my best guess at the moment. :dunno:

B18C
04-25-2003, 07:55 PM

What;'s up?

Does the car still feel the same (ie the supercharger is functioning but your gauge is broken) or did it feel like you weren't making any boost?

Ekliptix
04-25-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm not making boost.
The pipe from the charger to the TB is still secure.
Fuel pressure and other guages are operating normally.

breaking their internal belt sounds possible.

B18C
04-25-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm not making boost.

That's not good news

Ekliptix
04-25-2003, 08:32 PM
it should be a simple fix if that's it, shouldn't it?

I found this informative link:
http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/forced-pow.htm

THREE40SEVEN
04-25-2003, 09:38 PM
I'm not making boost.

There is a guy i found who sells kevlar belts and bearing upgrades for the powerdyne....If that ends up being the problem, PM me.

Ekliptix
04-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Thanks very much.

The previous owner just emailed me and said the external belt might need tightening. We'll see.

THREE40SEVEN
04-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Thanks very much.

The previous owner just emailed me and said the external belt might need tightening. We'll see.
you would see SOME boost with a loose belt....

Ekliptix
04-26-2003, 11:35 AM
The previous owner said
"Boost is a funtion of RPMs. Lets say that it starts making boost at 4000 RPMs and climbs from there. If the belt is slipping then the blower won't hit 4000 RPMs and therefore no boost. I highly recommend reefing on the belt to get it as tight as possible and try some belt dressing. Meanwhile check for the blower whine, if you hear it, the blower internals are fine and you don't have to dismantle anything to get it rebuilt."

Ekliptix
04-26-2003, 05:38 PM
I bought a new belt and installed it very tightly to ensure that the old belt hadn't just streached(there was no more adjustment room for the old one
anyway).
Still nowhere near +0psi on the guage. No blower whine either. There is no way it's belt slippage, unless I have to be in gear for there to be actual boost.

I probably just keep it parked untill I can save up some cash for the rebuild.

4wheeldrift
04-26-2003, 06:44 PM
I bought a new belt and installed it very tightly to ensure that the old belt hadn't just streached(there was no more adjustment room for the old one
anyway).
Still nowhere near +0psi on the guage. No blower whine either. There is no way it's belt slippage, unless I have to be in gear for there to be actual boost.

I probably just keep it parked untill I can save up some cash for the rebuild. If you aren't getting blower whine then something is definetly pooched internally on it. Sorry to hear it went so soon after you got the car.

DSM Power
04-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Your new sig pic tells it all... :banghead: